Date & Time Set Automatically. Does it work?

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
No one's talked about this. I am surprised.

I had an Android phone and it sets the date and time automatically based on location. WP8 has the same functionality, but the date and time does not automatically adjust to my location / timezone. Is this happening to everyone?

I hate having to set the date and time manually every time I soft reset the phone.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a problem with my phone being off a few hours the first week I had the phone. After using manual for a while I switched it back to automatic and now it seems to work fine. I was messing with a lot of settings in the beginning though so I don't know if something I did fixed it.

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What network are you on?
Im EE UK and here it doesn't work at all. However when i pop into Europe, any country, it automatically changes. Great. It doesn't when i get back though. Annoying as ****

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
That functionality doesnt actually come from within the phone or by the phone finding your location. The clock is set based on the time signals from the cell towers of your carrier. If you are having issue with the time not updating, it is likely because

1) you either do not have cell service.
2) the carrier you have is bad and doesnt have the time signal set up right from the towers to your phone.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
For me it is:

3) Just my Lumia 920 is screwing up. Focus is working fine with carrier time, iPhone 4S is working fine, and Motorola atrix is working fine. All on at&t. IPad with cellular is working fine with Verizon.

Only my Lumia 920 doesn't seem to know what the time is, to be exact, it is one time zone off.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This is subject to your operator as others have mentioned for example T-Mobile UK do not provide the time service so you need to do it manually. It does however work as I use it when travelling and works fine just not with EE in the UK.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine too. After I soft reset, the time seems to be the factory time. When I switch to auto, It doesn't work. But one day I surprisingly got the time auto back.
But I soft reset afterwards again later, It disappeared again. Now I just simply set time manually, switch to auto and wish one day the Auto function will come back again.

nag3

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't work for me too ... and i realize that when u switch the time from 24 h to 12 h .. u dont see the AM and PM next to the time !!!!

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't even have the auto button :) I bought mine in Germany, but it's weird that that matters. With iPhone or Android your time is always synced with any operator in the world, so I don't understand why Windows Phone shows such strange behaviour.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This does not make sense. I was using an Android phone with the same telco and the date and time sync just fine. Does not work anymore when I switched to a NL920.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this has anything to do with the carriers, but more to do with WP8 lacking in some real basic functionality.

As I said before, I was with the same carrier for many years and using Android phone, and it worked perfectly.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this has anything to do with the carriers, but more to do with WP8 lacking in some real basic functionality.

As I said before, I was with the same carrier for many years and using Android phone, and it worked perfectly.

I agree. Most devices (heck even my cable box and S40 Nokia 6500c) connects to the internet to adjust the time automatically.. Maybe the L920 uses the carrier's time service, maybe not. Like you said, WP8 lacks the basic functionality. Nokia most likely knows how much WP8 lacks so much functionality compared to Symbian...

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm on EE in the UK, auto time and date does not work, actually pretty much everything EE offer does not work with the lumia 920. Crap network rushed out for 4g, which also only covers a few percent of the country if that.

jin8k

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
it doesnt work on mine too. i had to soft reset the phone couple of times, and it doesnt work... i gave the phone about 2 hours of time, but still no auto setting. so i updated manually. anyway, someone says it's the operator problem, but i am using the sim from my old iphone 4s, which used to auto set the time...

namdanog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue. When Date+Time is set to automatic it doesn't update at all here in Singapore (Starhub) even though all my other phones work with the same provider (Nokia N9 amongst them). Both the NL920 and NL620 exhibit this behaviour. When I go to Indonesia it does update automatically with INDOSAT, which is good. But then coming back to Singapore it's wrong again so I have to do it manually.

Very strange that this would not "just work".

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Vodafone UK, and Automatic time updates worked perfectly right up until I first had to soft reset the Lumia 920 (i.e. pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons).

Doing that reset the clock to some time before the phone was even announced, even though automatic was set to on. Even after leaving it for an hour or two, nothing.

I just turned it off and set the time/date manually, then turn automatic back on. Not a clue if it actually works anymore, it definitely doesn't work if you reset the device. It's like the act of resetting switches off automatic time sync or deletes the code or something...

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Vodafone UK, and Automatic time updates worked perfectly right up until I first had to soft reset the Lumia 920 (i.e. pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons).

Doing that reset the clock to some time before the phone was even announced, even though automatic was set to on. Even after leaving it for an hour or two, nothing.

I just turned it off and set the time/date manually, then turn automatic back on. Not a clue if it actually works anymore, it definitely doesn't work if you reset the device. It's like the act of resetting switches off automatic time sync or deletes the code or something...

This is the issue I have also. T-Mobile UK (EE) here. It's never seemed to work...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle