Recorded video has no audio

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I recorded about six videos in a row Christmas morning, everyone in the family opening presents, etc. I've now gone back to review them and not a single one of them has any audio. Complete silence. Every video recorded before that has audio, and a few afterwards as well, so no it isn't case or covered mic or something. Has anyone had this happen before, it has to be some kind of software bug. If you've had it happen, do you know what triggered the bug? I'd hate to have to record a little and play it back every time before starting a long video session, just to be sure audio is recording. I'm sure this is rare, but in my case it's pretty much ruined the Christmas memory record this year. :(

On the plus side, the video looks excellent! :p

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Bump because without realizing it TellMe doesn't work either. If I hold the windows button and speak, the little dots at the bottom don't move. Things work fine over bluetooth though. I'm close to trying a phone reset, but was wondering if anyone knows which mic is used when recording TellMe and video? Is it the bottom one still or does it use the top mic? If the bottom mic were bad or dead then I'd assume I couldn't talk on the phone, but that still works. Maybe only the top mic is dead, which might also explain why some have said they've had trouble hearing me if the noise cancellation isn't working.

Texting a voice note also doesn't work, nothing plays back after it's recorded.

Pete Almanza

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
No Audio On Recorded Video

Hey guys,

Recently I recorded some videos here in my university hall and upon playback, I had no audio whatsoever. Later that evening I went out with some friends to noisy downtown and recorded once more, and this time the audio was audible. One video, however was about half silent, half sound, which I found odd. Since then (almost a week later), i've had no sound picked up on any recordings, in both the native camera app and market place recording apps. Any idea of what could be the problem? i've reset my phone (Lumia 920, AT&T), put the camera back to factory settings, but nothing seems to work.

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: No Audio On Recorded Video

I would say you unintentionally block the microphone with you fingers when you record videos.

GeoDru

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure out what the issue was with this? I have tried factory resetting twice to resolve it (once restoring from backup, once not), and the issue persists. Like you, it is showing up for any kind of voice recording - video, OneNote, TellMe, talk to text. And likewise I have no issues with phone calls. Really disappointing because I love everything else about the phone. Only benefit I got from the factory reset was clearing out my "other" storage, which had gotten up to 25 GB...

GeoDru

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

I have had the same issue and have noticed a couple of other people have encountered this. It started happening around the time of Portico but I can't be certain that it occurred immediately afterwards. For me, it has been not only video recording that has been affected, but anything using audio input aside from phone calls (TellMe, talk to text, OneNote). Tried two resets and still no dice. I'm about to throw in the towel and ask for a replacement unit.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever figure out what the issue was with this? I have tried factory resetting twice to resolve it (once restoring from backup, once not), and the issue persists. Like you, it is showing up for any kind of voice recording - video, OneNote, TellMe, talk to text. And likewise I have no issues with phone calls. Really disappointing because I love everything else about the phone. Only benefit I got from the factory reset was clearing out my "other" storage, which had gotten up to 25 GB...

No I was actually minutes away from doing a hard-reset to see if it fixed it. So you've factory reset and it's done nothing? :( My next step after that was sending it in for warranty through work (since they furnished it).

Pete Almanza

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be blocked, I can sit the phone down on a flat surface and it still won't pick anything up.

And I haven't tried to reset yet, maybe I should. The issue did occur after Portico, but it was on and off, now it's just no audio pick up altogether...I may have to do the replacement route too.

mandartd

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Exact same issue on my unlocked Lumia 920 running Portico. I purchased this in Dubai and using it in Mumbai, India. No Audio features seem to work example.. No Voice commands using Tellme, No audio on recorded videos, no voice on recorded notes in Onenote. I have also noticed that this issue occurs on and off...Strangely though when I use a Bluetooth (Nokia Luna), atleast the voice commands using Tellme seem to work. And when I disconnect the Bluetooth, the issue sometimes returns..No clue what's happening...Voice commands as well as Videos have been the USP of Lumia 920 and WP8 as well!!.. And these not working is a bit frustrating!!!!......MS and Nokia please help. Thank you.

mandartd

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Exact same issue on my unlocked Lumia 920 running Portico. I purchased this in Dubai and using it in Mumbai, India. No Audio features seem to work example.. No Voice commands using Tellme, No audio on recorded videos, no voice on recorded notes in Onenote. I have also noticed that this issue occurs on and off...Strangely though when I use a Bluetooth (Nokia Luna), atleast the voice commands using Tellme seem to work. And when I disconnect the Bluetooth, the issue sometimes returns..No clue what's happening...Voice commands as well as Videos have been the USP of Lumia 920 and WP8 as well!!.. And these not working is a bit frustrating!!!!......MS and Nokia please help. Thank you.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine also work fine with phone headphones plugged in (the kind with a mic on the cable). Voice commands work fine through there. So it seems like it really is the hardware mic. I'm going to hold off a bit longer before I hard reset in case I find something. Someone mentioned it could be that plugging/unplugging headphones might make it think there are still headphones in it. I'm going to blow out the hole (teehee) and see if that helps.

mandartd

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I accidently happen to notice that it is not a software issue! Whenever I touch the microphone near the headphone jack on the top of Lumia 920, the audio commands start functioning. Seems like theres some hardware issue. Shall get is checked from the local nokia store.
Thanks WPCentral, MS and Nokia.

David Hollifield

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I just had this happen to me. I recorded my son's concert with my camera on a tripod and only touched the screen between songs to start/stop recording. The first two songs have audio. The last five do not. Man, this is a huge bummer. Anyone found a solution?

David Hollifield

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was able to reproduce the issue. Seems like a heat issue. I had used Drive+ to get to the venue and the GPS can make the phone a little hot so I ran a test in my office today. I first ran the GPS for about 30 minutes then started a video recording. After about 15 minutes of recording there is a click then no audio. I'll try the same thing with my wife's phone later to see if it's just my phone or a bigger issue. Then I'll be taking a trip to the AT&T phone store to see what can be done.

HTH,
David

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I accidently happen to notice that it is not a software issue! Whenever I touch the microphone near the headphone jack on the top of Lumia 920, the audio commands start functioning. Seems like theres some hardware issue. Shall get is checked from the local nokia store.
Thanks WPCentral, MS and Nokia.

This did not work for me.

I was able to reproduce the issue. Seems like a heat issue. I had used Drive+ to get to the venue and the GPS can make the phone a little hot so I ran a test in my office today. I first ran the GPS for about 30 minutes then started a video recording. After about 15 minutes of recording there is a click then no audio. I'll try the same thing with my wife's phone later to see if it's just my phone or a bigger issue. Then I'll be taking a trip to the AT&T phone store to see what can be done.

HTH,
David

Once mine quit working, no matter what temperature mine just wouldn't work anymore. I finally did a hard reset and still nothing, so I put in to our helpdesk to get a replacement. I did drop it once or twice and despite it looking perfect still it could be that the mic was dislodged somehow, who knows.

Edgar Mendez

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue and just noticed today. The last video I have recorded have no audio. Seems my device can't record audio at all because I have tried speech texting too and a recorder app. Everything else works fine.

vashist

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here, but with another clue:

In a Skype call as soon as I turn on the camera, the other party cannot hear me. When I turn the camera off, suddenly there is audio ...

lumia011

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
....same problem here in California with 920 red; initially, in the last 6 months, it was on and off - sometimes video with audio - sometimes without audio; since couple of weeks ago, no audio at all in video recording. This is ridiculous and unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lumia011

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
....problem fixed....sort of - I exchanged the phone.....kudos to Elizabeth from Oak Brook, IL at&t customer service store.

btw, this is my third red lumia 920, but the first one that people on the other are saying they can understand me (pathetic but true - for months everyone kept complaining that they are having a hard time understanding me and I was just ignorantly showing them a finger thinking it is their problem, but it was my/lumia problem all along).

Personal opinion - this bs quality control and quality assurance/QC & QA is typical for manufacturing practices in China, regardless of is it Nokia, Apple, or other manufacturer, or product line - it is simple - they don't give a s....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs