Forbes hit piece on the 920

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I just get annoyed when reviewers don't even bother using the correct terminology, let alone what some people are claiming to be lies. I mean really? How is the low light function on the 920 considered bad? I hear people on the forums complain about battery, heating up, and of course all reviewers have to make a comment about the phone being big/heavy, but never have I seen anyone complain about the ineptitude of taking pictures in low light situations.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Why is there such a negative connotation using the phrase "is heavier than..." when in all honesty the Lumia 920 does weigh more than most devices?

The Lumia 920 hands down has the best camera on a smartphone that I have used. Ever. My pictures weren't necessarily sharp from day one but the update fixed that. Battery life on the 920 is excellent. If your phone gets too hot to actually handle you need to have it replaced. How many of these phone are actually out there? 100? 200? 1,000? I doubt it's a real high number but on the internet one person complaining equates to millions of disappointed customers.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Freedom of speech.

Anyway, I love my 920 but the one I have overheats too, has awful battery life, and it is difficult to get non blurry pictures in low light. I do think I have a bad device though, and I have contacted Nokia. I really didn't want to go through an exchange process, but it appears my device is defective. If the author used my same device for testing, his article would be 100% accurate.

akroy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I smell fear! And before any apple boys jump on me my household is full of apple gear as well as pc's. I really hope windows 8 and Nokia succeed we really need more competition in the mobile world. I can't get over the price that they want for a new 32gig I phone 5, Instead of spending $300 On an I phone I went for the lumia and bought some Nokia stock.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
a) A journalist is supposed to be objective.

b) I've found that WP 8 requires the user to use their own brain to think, there are bugged applications out there which you might want to avoid to get good battery life. This is where most problems come from, people won't think and instead scream bad battery life when they would gain from thinking about what is making their battery life bad. Of course there are faulty devices and batteries but all problems won't be from that.

I've experienced both type of battery performances, two 920s with terrible batter life and one with good battery life.

You can put the blame on some apps, but I was able to restore my settings and apps from my original 920 that had major battery issues into a 2nd phone. THe 2nd phone battery life was great and could last me more than a day easily with the same exact settings and apps. After performing well, i pushed the 2nd phone harder downloading more apps, appsi didn't need and apps i did need with more apps running in the background and the 2nd phone performed just as good as basic settings. Now i get a 3rd phone, you may ask why i gave up my 2nd phone, i gave it to a family member bcause her phone bricked. So i get the 3rd phone, did a restore and not only did i get battery drain, now i get a rebooting problem with a phone that came with the "portico" update. An update that was supposed to rectify the rebooting issue.

So in my experience and my experience the world revolves around, apps had nothing to do with my terrible bad experiences, the phone itself was the issue.

5 of my immediate family members have 920s uincluding myself, 3 of them were defective. There is an issue with these devices, and coming from an iphone from 2007-2011 and never having to do a warranty exchange for them, i've experienced multiple with nokia's 900 and 920 within a year.

So it is true, it is like a lottery, the chances you get a good phone and a bad phone is not so different.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Folks, stop paying attention to those contributor articles. These are just random guys writing from their home. There are several financial "news" outlets pumping out this sort of articles in volume to draw clicks. I know, one would think Forbes would not stoop down to this level...

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My main problem with this is that it is a review that is running much, much later than all the other major reviews. When putting out a review this late in the game you need to at least acknowledge when your opinion is in the minority, for example in terms of the low-light capabilities of the camera. Almost every...single....review out there acknowledged that as a strength of the 920, and if you are going to out-and-out say the opposite you need to bring up the fact that you are in the minority and why you believe your experience trumps all those other people's experiences. Well, if you're writing a GOOD review then you at least should do that...

In addition, there are lots of people also posting about having WONDERFUL battery life. Sure plenty of people aren't, but once again let's not forget that forums generally tend towards people posting about problems they are dealing with, not random "Yay me I got great battery life!!!!" posts. If it isn't broke people tend not to post about it. So, if you're going to tear into battery life you should at least acknowledge that it seems to be a very variable experience, with some users getting fantastic battery life and some getting horrible battery life. To not acknowledge that when there is plenty of feedback out there is, once again, amateurish.

It's clear to me this was a slapdash/sloppy review, and was in no way worthy of being on a major site like Forbes. More and more I've stopped going to sites that seem to use click-bait articles to drive traffic. I like Google News because it lets me filter out by news source, so I've just filtered out Forbes. I'm not opposed to criticism of the 920, just ill-researched and constructed pieces like this.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe there was a poll about the battery life, 30% i believe said they had issues with battery which means 1 of 3 devices will have poor battery life. Of course, how do you define good or bad battery? It varies, but the % seems to be quite high and in my own experience, i've experienced 2 bad batteries and one good. I should be able to purchase a device and be confident in its performance, im about to go through my 2nd exchange.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As a new 920 user, I have to completely agree with his comment about "barely survive until mid-afternoon".

I was (maybe will be again) an iPhone user who made the leap to a 920 at the weekend in the belief that it should be better than my iPhone 4. I managed to sell my wife on the fact this phone would be better.

So far there are a lot of likes for the device. Size and weight are not an issue. Love the camera which is what motivated my move. Apps are better than perhaps I expected as my main apps are on present.

BUT, I am completely and utterly disappointed by the battery life. I have done everything I can to reduce use (BT off, NFC off), making half the features worthless, but when it is used it appears to use the battery at a rapid pace (up to 20%/hour) and even 1.5%/hour when idle (overnight).

This means that realistically you only get 5-8 hours use. Not good when a day is on average 24-7=17 hours long.

And yes, I know that with a new phone you often use it more. But I am still expecting more. And is really bugs me (rude words omitted) that I cannot select 3G in the network settings to help me save battery power and make it last longer. Apparently you could as I can read about this setting, but for some reason AT&T have yet again done one on us.

Annoyed, I am. I will see how the next few days go... whether the new batteries get better with a few cycles... but there are elements of truth to this article when you are a new user of the phone.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Folks, stop paying attention to those contributor articles. These are just random guys writing from their home. There are several financial "news" outlets pumping out this sort of articles in volume to draw clicks. I know, one would think Forbes would not stoop down to this level...

Unfortunately Forbes has become nothing more than a tabloid. Nothing published via this source can be believed.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
As a new 920 user, I have to completely agree with his comment about "barely survive until mid-afternoon".

I was (maybe will be again) an iPhone user who made the leap to a 920 at the weekend in the belief that it should be better than my iPhone 4. I managed to sell my wife on the fact this phone would be better.

So far there are a lot of likes for the device. Size and weight are not an issue. Love the camera which is what motivated my move. Apps are better than perhaps I expected as my main apps are on present.

BUT, I am completely and utterly disappointed by the battery life. I have done everything I can to reduce use (BT off, NFC off), making half the features worthless, but when it is used it appears to use the battery at a rapid pace (up to 20%/hour) and even 1.5%/hour when idle (overnight).

This means that realistically you only get 5-8 hours use. Not good when a day is on average 24-7=17 hours long.

And yes, I know that with a new phone you often use it more. But I am still expecting more. And is really bugs me (rude words omitted) that I cannot select 3G in the network settings to help me save battery power and make it last longer. Apparently you could as I can read about this setting, but for some reason AT&T have yet again done one on us.

Annoyed, I am. I will see how the next few days go... whether the new batteries get better with a few cycles... but there are elements of truth to this article when you are a new user of the phone.

Since you just got the phone, if the battery life doesn't improve in a week, go swap it out at your carrier before the return period expires or else you will need to do a warranty exchange.

I have experienced a great battery life 920 so I know they exist, what im confused about how it is so much a hit and miss with these devices. I will continue to warranty exchange until i get one with great battery life.

When i say great battery life, i mean that the phone doesn't drain pretty much at all on idle. I can literally sit my phone down for 2 hours straight at 80% and when i pick i up, it will still be 80% or 79%. I can let my phone sit at 100% and go to sleep and overnight, the battery will still be at 100% or 99%. Also, settings would be with 3 background apps running at all times, two push emails, skype, whatsapp, and a bunch of apps loaded onto the phone. The phone would last from 8am to 11pm easily on heavy use and on minimal use, probably almost two days. That was my set-up and the phone's battery life is what I considered great and better than my iphone 4 by far.

So great battery life does exist, the question is, will you be one of the lucky ones.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
he's only telling the hard truth, i do not agree on the whole start screen part (because it is already a "favorites")

but battery life, camera, overheat, hangups are serious problems nokia/ms need to address asap
you may not have encountered them but if you had at least one or two simultaneously yuo know what i'm talking about

Luckily I have not had any of those. My battery is great. Phone doesn't overheat and locked up 2 times when I first got it but never since. Never dropped a call either.

I am sure I use my phone MUCH more than most people too. I am always on it (unhealthy amount of time).

My only complaint is wordament hitches on EVERY Nokia device I have ever used. It stopped for a while after the last update but started again a few days ago. I went from 800-900 scores normally down to 600ish because of the hitching. I hope Nokia fixes that...

mythra

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

There is a thread about setting 3G only...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/209171-set-3g-only-t.html

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Thank you, but any suggestion to go hack the phone using a field service menu is not ideal. I mean everyone almost c***ped their pants in that thread when they thought that the code to get into the FSM was no longer usable, and were coming up with workarounds like booting without the SIM in to change back to 4G.

The option to select 3G only from a menu in the phone would seem useful for someone living on a fringe 4G area.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Since you just got the phone, if the battery life doesn't improve in a week, go swap it out at your carrier before the return period expires or else you will need to do a warranty exchange.

Obviously I'm a little concerned my replacement would be worse.

e.g. my wife's phone has locked up 5 times over the last 2 days. Mine none. Both with same firmware and setup the same way etc.

I have experienced a great battery life 920 so I know they exist, what im confused about how it is so much a hit and miss with these devices. I will continue to warranty exchange until i get one with great battery life.

When i say great battery life, i mean that the phone doesn't drain pretty much at all on idle. I can literally sit my phone down for 2 hours straight at 80% and when i pick i up, it will still be 80% or 79%. I can let my phone sit at 100% and go to sleep and overnight, the battery will still be at 100% or 99%. Also, settings would be with 3 background apps running at all times, two push emails, skype, whatsapp, and a bunch of apps loaded onto the phone. The phone would last from 8am to 11pm easily on heavy use and on minimal use, probably almost two days. That was my set-up and the phone's battery life is what I considered great and better than my iphone 4 by far.

So great battery life does exist, the question is, will you be one of the lucky ones.

Your experience is what I want mine to be. Sad that the manufacturing is so crap that all the phones are not working identically.

Do you have the latest firmware update? Is this idle battery eating only the latest firmware?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This was after the portico update. Phone worked great before and after.

Also, if ur battery sucks why worry about a crappier battery? A bad battery is a bad battery.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Also, if ur battery sucks why worry about a crappier battery? A bad battery is a bad battery.

It is. So it looks like I need to replace both my new phones. (One is randomly locking up.)

Wonderful.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

One other quick Q. Are you in a city or out? I.e. what signal strength do you have on your phone? Wondering if bad battery is when the phone is further from the tower.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion