Forbes hit piece on the 920

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
@realwarder - it looks like you just got your phone. I have an 822 and had the same issue initially. Drain the battery, recharge, and repeat a couple of times. Once you have done that, you will get much better battery life. I can go 36 hours with moderate usage and about 15 hours with heavier usage. Don't judge the battery or the phone quite yet on just getting the phone.
Yes, this happened to me(920) as well, although I do get mysterious battery drains on occasion, but I'm not dissatisfied with my battery life.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nothing to worry about. F... this article and two "ihurt" fanboys commenting the same bull***t about nokias payroll ;]. Yeah i was also hating my lumia becouse it was overheating and draining battery 2 weeks after purchase. Now i know that we've a lot of bugged apps on the WP market and the OS itself also is not perfect and need a lot of polish (idle drain,background taks loops ect.). After the portico update most of my international rm821 problems don't exist anymore. The phone likes to get warm in bad reception areas or using IE or games but everything is going in the right direction. I hope that next software updates will appear soon. This phone needs them ! It was rushed just like the WP8 and thats the truth. Many of first buyers are just betatesters. Giving their own mony on the device and testing it for free ;].

PDADoctor

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand why people react so viscerally to these articles and take them so personally. If you like your device, what does anyone care what gets written? I'm always amazed by this phenomenon; I have my issues with the Lumia 920, but I'm sticking with the device for now, and I'm certainly not bothered by negative reviews. The only way I might possibly take those reviews personally would be if I was the designer of the device; other than that, their comments are as valid or invalid as anyone's.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced both type of battery performances, two 920s with terrible batter life and one with good battery life.

You can put the blame on some apps, but I was able to restore my settings and apps from my original 920 that had major battery issues into a 2nd phone. THe 2nd phone battery life was great and could last me more than a day easily with the same exact settings and apps. After performing well, i pushed the 2nd phone harder downloading more apps, appsi didn't need and apps i did need with more apps running in the background and the 2nd phone performed just as good as basic settings. Now i get a 3rd phone, you may ask why i gave up my 2nd phone, i gave it to a family member bcause her phone bricked. So i get the 3rd phone, did a restore and not only did i get battery drain, now i get a rebooting problem with a phone that came with the "portico" update. An update that was supposed to rectify the rebooting issue.

So in my experience and my experience the world revolves around, apps had nothing to do with my terrible bad experiences, the phone itself was the issue.

5 of my immediate family members have 920s uincluding myself, 3 of them were defective. There is an issue with these devices, and coming from an iphone from 2007-2011 and never having to do a warranty exchange for them, i've experienced multiple with nokia's 900 and 920 within a year.

So it is true, it is like a lottery, the chances you get a good phone and a bad phone is not so different.

Interesting to know. That's unfortunate as well, I hope MS tightens the reins on their OEM partners if this type of thing occurs. Going by your experience the blame could be laid squarely on Nokia and not WP8 itself. Hopefully someone at MS will send a nasty-gram to Nokia telling them to smarten the F up over this and things will get rectified.

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
that's pretty much why i took mine back ;(
it?s bulky, heavy, overheats, has a short battery life, [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]and a horrible camera.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]that is a bit harsh though. it was bulky and heavy, but not so much more than any other phone with a case. Mine totally did over heat and have terrible battery life.. but i thought the camera was excellent. especially low light performance was great.. loved wireless charging as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]they missed one other reason why i took mine back, bugginess. i had issues with the mac sync app. it flat out stopped working. also wireless hotspot was completely broken. i didn't pay extra for hot spot not to use it. also it crashed several times. other than that, if they could fix those issues then they could have a winner. [/FONT]​

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I didn't know that Forbes had been taken over by The Verge!

They can go back to typing in their "reviews" on their feather light iPhones swaddled in 4 pounds of Morphie Juice Pac so it will last for an hour and not return to kit form if a dust mote falls on the screen 😎
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I didn't know that Forbes had been taken over by The Verge!

They can go back to typing in their "reviews" on their feather light iPhones swaddled in 4 pounds of Morphie Juice Pac so it will last for an hour and not return to kit form if a dust mote falls on the screen 😎
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

lol so true about the mophie juice packs lol

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why people react so viscerally to these articles and take them so personally. If you like your device, what does anyone care what gets written? I'm always amazed by this phenomenon; I have my issues with the Lumia 920, but I'm sticking with the device for now, and I'm certainly not bothered by negative reviews. The only way I might possibly take those reviews personally would be if I was the designer of the device; other than that, their comments are as valid or invalid as anyone's.

How dare you interject common sense, logic and reason into this thread!! :)

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How dare you interject common sense, logic and reason into this thread!! :)

I think what annoys most of the people that have commented is that this so called review is by no means written objectively. I own a 920 is it perfect? No, but it is by no means as bad as this review makes it out to be. Case in point, the only thing that the reviews of the major sites can agree on is the excellent low light performance of the 920's camera yet he states that it takes bad low light shots.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Consumers read reviews to get an idea of the product, let alone get interest in the first place. Imagine a first time goer seeing a review for a "Windows Phone", and all the review does is bash the living heck out of the product. You think the consumer will be interested as much as he was prior to that? What about someone who is on the fence of buying a Lumia? Reviews are made for a reason. To not only give the prospective consumer information on purchasing a product, but also it can be used as a tool to either increase or decrease sales.

BrownxGoblin

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am born and raised in the bay area and the devotion in the hipster crowd to be cool at all costs is way crazy here, even overboard. Because of that they will defend whatever aspects that make them cool to be even cooler (iphone or android)! Think about it, if they don't have the "cool" thing, they are no longer a "hipster." The minute I saw the author say he was in the bay ... it made perfect sense. Dude is just trying to up his brownie points.

The higher "elite" giving positive reviews will trickle down to the fake hipsters. I am sure that some of these elites positive words of windows phone is causing hipster's to take another glance.

The "hip" thing to be in the bay area is to make yourself look like one of four things: you work for apple or you work for google or your some kind of social magnet that everyone needs on their friend's list or your some kind of successful entrepreneur who has tons of money to party while you work. Don't believe me? Try it.... go to the city's bars/restaurants and I can almost guarantee you just about everyone will claim one of those. These folks will defend what makes them "cool" hard and to the very end.

PDADoctor

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, fair enough. But if one already has their device and is happy with it, then again, why care what anyone else reads? They can say whatever they want, I have mine and I'm good.

Perhaps the gent was right: what am I doing trying to inject reason into all this.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind if someone writes a review and finds a product I happen to like to be flawed. But what I do expect is the review to be slightly objective on some form. Like I mentioned before if you are going to say compare camera quality give us pictures from both devices. And don't just assume another device must be better but not even test it and then claim it as fact in what is supposed to be a review.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I e-mailed the author a couple days ago and told him to turn comments back on. Don't know if it was my prodding, but comments appear to be open on this article again. So have at him. :D

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People should just ignore those clowns. Giving them clicks is exactly what they want when they write such crap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss