Okay, so is the Clicking/Creaking Plastic normal or not?

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have used the search bar.
Yes, I do know of the other 5 threads on the same topic, but they're not clear on the issue at all.

I've got the Black L920 from Rogers. No dust under FCC, no battery issues (even with apps like whatsapp and other "culprits") and no leakage from sides of the screen.

The only issue which is bugging me a lot (yeah, maybe I am a little OCD) is the creaking/clicking sound the plastic makes on the left side of the camera on the backside of the phone (when held up right in portrait orientation). It makes this noise from that location until the point where the plastic meets the screen on the same side of the phone.

I just want to know if it's normal with this specific colour ? of phones. I read people with colour variants aren't having this issue, but many of them report this on first / second day use of the phone, at which even I didn't have this problem. It's something that picked up over the days. I don't want this becoming a bigger problem a few months down the road with the phone itself.. i'd rather switch to another or wait for colours to arrive in Canada.

Note: This is my second replacement phone.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
not normal, seems like you had one of those bad craft body. But AFAIK most of them will choose to live with it useless your cracking need no effort to produce.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think so. My first one creaked a lot. My replacement didn't at first but it does now. It is irritating. I came from the Venue Pro that was built like a tank. The creaking is part of the reason I use a case.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine creaked as well. The next one is problem free now for over a month. Don't let anyone tell you it's normal. One ATT salesperson tried, so I went to another one and had it changed.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine is red, but totally silent. I'd persevere until you get a silent one.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

G2go

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
My Yellow L920 also creaks down the left side and around the back. It is noticable when change volume and while on calls. Coming from the solid Omnia 7 this does get annoying. Being on Telstra in Australia I have spoken to a few reps who tried to explan it was normal and expected due to the materials. I didn't buy that as a reasonable excuse. I have since contacted Nokia directly who agreed it wasn't right. When I find the time I will be sending it back to them (as they have requested) for a replacement.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd Lumia 920 and its doing the same thing and beginning to get dust under FCC as well. I don't care what anyone says, this is not normal an unacceptable. Looks like I will be getting another replacement soon.

I owned a Lumia 800 before this and that thong was and is (still have it) solid as a brick. IMO its ridiculous Nokia is having this kind of QC with their flagship phone.

I've worked with ATT to replace these phones, but now I think I'm going to deal directly with Nokia.

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Not normal. My first unit was doing that and when I received my second I noticed the unit 1 had a clear separation between the glass and body compared to the second. I recommend doing a swap.

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Guess I should go and work with getting a replacement or holding out until colours come to Canada. It's unfortunate that such a beautiful device has such a tiny little flaw overlooked in QC.. bummer :(

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
not normal.

my first 920 was red and it was solid with no creeks or anything. BUT, it did have the light seeping out from the bottom left corner. my 2nd lumia was white and it creaked and popped. BUT, no light issues. my current 920 is red and it's just like my first red 920. solid as a rock but seeping light out from bottom left corner. also the phone vibrator on this 3rd unit doesn't feel loose like my 2 previous lumias.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I debated about having my phone replaced due to this issue and the heat/battery issues I have been having. It is really not that big of a deal and is something I can live with. The entire top section of my phone has give and clicks when pressed where the sim slot and headphone jack is. I did contact Nokia to let them know of the issue and they offered to replace the phone. I was told that it should not be doing this. I should get my replacement tomorrow.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
we have a white and a black. the white doesn't creak. my black one does a little at the top. I've been to an MS store and an ATT store and half of the phones on display had the same issue. It's not normal, but it's also not uncommon. I live with it because otherwise the phone is great.
cheers

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just now noticed my phone creaking a bit. I think I will wait until AT&T receives some red 920s since those have been cycling through stock quickly and shouldn't have any problems.

this isn't a problem but I don't want it to turn into one later on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99