Light Scracthes on Polycarbonate body - Any way to remove them?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Today I was looking at the back of my phone under direct light and I noticed the back of my phone is scratched up in some areas. While the scratches are not visible under normal conditions, I'm the OCD type and don't like them there! Also, some of the scratches are grouped so closely together that they look like little spots/smudges. I can only see them under direct light but it really annoys me. I will eventually get over it, but I just got this phone (and I'm loving it, by the way :D) Does anyone know if there's a way to remove these light scratches? There probably isn't but it doesn't hurt to ask :) Also, luckily, the strip of black chrome, or whatever material it's made of, is scratch free.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Dunno, but my ZAGG full body cover series an 2 days. Loved the one on my L900 so it might make you happiest to get on on your baby asap
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Dunno, but my ZAGG full body cover series an 2 days. Loved the one on my L900 so it might make you happiest to get on on your baby asap

Yeah, I guess this is sort of my fault for not getting a cover on my phone. I currently have a Bodyguardz screen protector on my screen, which I love. If I didn't have it on I bet my screen would have some light scratches as well. I probably should have gotten the full body protection from Bodyguardz, but I really love the feel of the polycarbonate!

You can replace the polycarbonate from time to time, go to Nokia.

If I become desperate, I'll go to Nokia and see if they can help. But right now this is just a really minor problem that I can deal with if I have to. I'd be grateful if somebody has a solution, though!

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded my cyan 900 to a glossy white 920 and I'm familiar with the "scuffs" you're talking about. I just noticed today too that my glossy white has a spot with scuffs on it. From my experience it seems like this is only apparent on glossy colours as my old cyan 900 had absolutely no scuffing except for the chrome strip around the camera which is very prone to scuffs. I've never put on any sort of protectors whatsoever on my phones and their screens never got scratched. N8 and E7 and over a year, no scratches from Gorilla Glass. And the 920 has an even tougher Gorilla Glass 2. So the perfect scratch-free phone would be a 920 with a matte colour (black cyan and grey) since the matte finishes aren't prone to scuffs, the keys and camera strips are ceramic zirconium and the screen is Gorilla Glass 2.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense. I'm glad I went with glossy red, though. It looks really nice and I'm not a fan of black/cyan (gray is ok but really hard to find). I guess I'll just have to live with these small scuffs, they aren't that bad!

Mr37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So the perfect scratch-free phone would be a 920 with a matte colour (black cyan and grey) since the matte finishes aren't prone to scuffs, the keys and camera strips are ceramic zirconium and the screen is Gorilla Glass 2.

OOoohhhh No good Sir, I am a living witness that matte Lumia's won't get small little scratches like but if you keep the phone in your jeans pocket they WILL get shiny spots on the back and on the corners. Sorta like some keys get on a used keyboard. I switched from Cyan to RED and I'll take small scratches over shiny spots any day.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
OOoohhhh No good Sir, I am a living witness that matte Lumia's won't get small little scratches like but if you keep the phone in your jeans pocket they WILL get shiny spots on the back and on the corners. Sorta like some keys get on a used keyboard. I switched from Cyan to RED and I'll take small scratches over shiny spots any day.

Not disputing your statement but I'd really like to see what the shiny spots look like. As we've been told the polycarbonate body colours are native to the material all throughout so I can't picture them scratching off. Likewise I have a 2-year old Logitech G19 gaming keyboard and my keys don't have any shiny spots (I'm pretty sure I've seen the wear/tear fading you're talking about though, just that my keyboard doesn't have them yet so I can't look at a real spot and imagine it on my phone).

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
As long as the scratches aren't too deep, you should be able to use a plastic polish luke the ones you can buy to repair/refinish your headlights with. A fine grit liquid polish for auto paint may work too (turtle wax), just make sure it doesn't harm plastics before using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon