Unlocked Rogers Nokia Lumia 920 & T-MOBILE USA MMS Issue

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
@maersk - not sure how to look for where one carrier is using one frequency vs another or in this case where tmobile will be refarming their 1900.
Heck - i dont even know how to see what frequency my phone is using right now:)
btw, i am not YET a WP8 user - rather a Nokia user but still very interested in this and knowing how to determine which frequencies i am using...

vs6xfx

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that is exactly what happens.
I did a factory reset to get rid of the access point apps and it worked in restoring internet sharing and as expected broke MMS. I wouldn't recommend resetting your 920 because it almost gets into a brick state. It took a couple of hours of messing with the phone to get it to actually boot up again. Just google "bricked nokia lumia 920" and you can see all of the problems people have restoring it.

See this:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...20-mms-tethering-problem-solved-t-mobile.html

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
@maersk - not sure how to look for where one carrier is using one frequency vs another or in this case where tmobile will be refarming their 1900.
Heck - i dont even know how to see what frequency my phone is using right now:)
btw, i am not YET a WP8 user - rather a Nokia user but still very interested in this and knowing how to determine which frequencies i am using...

First of all I'm going to assume you live in the US. If so what frequencies you use depend on what carrier you have. The two main technologies are GSM & CDMA. We're talking about the L920 which is a GSM (ATT, T-Mobile) device so it won't work on CDMA (Sprint, Verizon).

AT&T uses the 850 band for (2G,3G), 1900 band for (2G,3G), 700 band (LTE), and both 1700/2100 bands (LTE).

T-Mo uses the 850 band (2G,3G), 1900 band (2G,3G,4G), and both 1700/2100 bands (3G,4G,LTE)

TMo right now is going through a change. Currently the 1900 band is 2G and 1700/2100 band is 4G. What they're trying to do is convert the 4G bands to LTE and turn their 2G to 3G/4G. The 1900 band has been refarmed in several places already. You can use the site Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) to check coverage. It's still a work in progress (data is filled by users). The 1700/2100 band has been converted over to LTE in Baltimore, MD; Kansas City, KS; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Jose, CA and Washington D.C. If you live in one of those seven cities, have a 1700/2100 & 1900 device, and is also refarmed you'll get LTE as main speed and HSPA+ as your fallback (best thing ever).

As for knowing what bands a phone uses you can search a favorite of mine GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... or Wikipedia too.

Also hooray for Nokia user! Nokia has made 9 out of the 10 best selling phones ever. They're the best! :love:

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is T-Mobile, not the Nokia. My granddaughter and I both have iPhones and about 2 times a month MMS stops working. I can usually go to settings and I find that the APN number is missing, add it and I am back working. The APN was there the day before so T-Mobile has done something. 2 weeks ago MMS quit working on my iPhone yet AGAIN. I have not been able to get it working again. I am going to call them again when I think I can speak calmly without using the "F" word ..

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
HELP my mms quit working on me. I originally set it up without the Nokia access point. Tmo gave me the info to enter manually under mms app settings. Everything was working great until stupid me got the nokia access app. Why I decided to use it I don't know but anyway once I did mms is broke. I can send a pic text but I can't receive one. I don't care about internet sharing at all. I've went back and deleted the settings and re entered the settings Tmo gave me but it just want retrieve a pic text now. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Swag_global

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I guess this will be the place to ask, I want to buy an unlocked lumia 920, but I see they're many options when buying online. Which on should I get so I have full 4g...LTE and no worries on every carrier that offers those fast speeds. Should I buy the Rogers unlocked..... the international version....... thanks for your suggestions

Last edited:

KongsPhone

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Look into a Rogers unlocked for T-Mobile. It works well but if you follow the above directions for MMS you will lose WiFi Sharing (tethering) unless you have an upgraded plan.

Negri has brand new phones or you can try your luck on ebay. It's a brick compared to the Lumia 900. Very... substantial.

I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure you can unlock LTE on the international version. I have heard of people using AT&T 920s unlocked on T-Mobile but it's not clear how is their service. Good luck.

Last edited:

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
AT&T uses the 850 band for (2G,3G), 1900 band for (2G,3G), 700 band (LTE), and both 1700/2100 bands (LTE).

T-Mo uses the 850 band (2G,3G), 1900 band (2G,3G,4G), and both 1700/2100 bands (3G,4G,LTE)

TMo right now is going through a change. Currently the 1900 band is 2G and 1700/2100 band is 4G. What they're trying to do is convert the 4G bands to LTE and turn their 2G to 3G/4G. The 1900 band has been refarmed in several places already.

This is not quite correct. The carriers' misleading branding of all their UMTS services as '4G' confuses things.

AT&T:
GSM/2G: 850, 1900
UMTS/3G: 850, 1900 [Note: AT&T misleadingly brands this '4G']
LTE: 700, AWS (1700/2100)

T-Mobile:
GSM/2G: 1900
UMTS/3G: AWS (1700/2100), 1900 (refarmed areas) [Note: T-Mobile misleadingly brands this '4G']
LTE: AWS

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Question - I am having MAJOR problems setting up my 920 with this app. I see that people say to choose "T-Mobile," but the only option I had on my phone when I went into the Access Point app was "T-Mobile LTE." Nothing is working for me; I can't send or receive texts or connect to data. Please HELP!!! :crying:

ROne21

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok....here's a little background....I bought a Rogers Unlocked L920 from Negri.....I was able to receive MMS without a problem but sending MMS was my issue....this was how my MMS was set:

* Cellular Settings --> highest connection speed to 3G (was set to LTE). Without this, SMS and MMS have a variety of oddities such as limiting to 70 characters, not operating reliably, etc.

* Set Internet APN
APN --> epc.tmobile.com (all other fields blank)

* Set MMS APN
APN --> epc.tmobile.com
MMSC URL --> http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMSC port --> 80
Max MMS size --> 1024
all other fields blank

....but then, while browsing in the Apps Store, I came upon "Lumia Pusher" app and installed it. After the installation, I went through it and started tapping on the apps like "Nokia account", "Extras + info", "Accessories", "Network +", etc.....then I came upon "Access Point"....I read the detailed descriptions and it seemed like it was the one I needed to fix my outbound MMS issue. I installed it without knowing the its issues and now I cannot send or receive MMS....from reading through the forum, there is no way to uninstall "access point" and the only way to get rid of it is to do a reset. I don't want to take the chance of bricking my phone so I don't really want to do the reset so I tried this:

1) Delete any existing Internet & MMS APN profiles stored in the handset, by tapping: Start, Settings, Mobile Settings, and scroll to the bottom of the screen and remove each apn manually by tapping edit, then tap the delete icon (looks like a waste bin) at the bottom right of the screen (you might need to tap "..." to reveal the option.)

2)Once all Apn's are removed, make sure the phone is connected via wifi., and email these links to yourself:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link 1 "Access Point":
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Link 2 "Network+":
network+ | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Link 3 "extras+info" :
extras+info | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Install each app from the link on your phone. On my phone, I already had 2&3 installed. Once all the above installed, the phone must be rebooted.

5) Now go to the settings menu, and scroll to the bottom. You should now see a new menu called: "Access Point". Tap it and you'll end up with a screen listing any APN's the phone has already found from the sim card (or previous sim cards inserted).

6) Select T-Mobile

.....I reset all my MMS settings as instructed but my phone did not find the APNs automatically when I turned it on.....any suggestions? Or should I take a chance and go ahead and reset my phone and start all over?

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem. I received my unlock code from AT&T and switched over to T-Mobile today. I have only been getting Edge speed and 4g for a few seconds there and there. I used the Access Point App and Picked T-Mobile LTE. As far as MMS goes I can't send any picture text messages. I've tried everything and even T-Mobile said that without the AWS bands I will not get speeds faster than Edge - which we all know isn't true.

Any help of advice would be so appreciated!!!!

Acp7

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problems. I followed the advice of installing the access point, network, and extras apps and I connected to "T-Mobile LTE", and MMS worked flawlessly. However, I then got a phone update which I downloaded, and now MMS doesn't work anymore. I've tried to put in the manual settings without any luck. Any ideas?

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Try this fellas, got it from Tmobile today to finally get mine working....

Connection Name : T-mobile mms

Internet APN

Access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : Blank
Password : Blank
Proxy Address : 216.155.165.50
Proxy Port : 8080
Network Type : IPv4
Authentication Type : none

MMS APN

MMS access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : blank
Password : blank
Proxy port : 8080
MMSC address : http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Network type : IPv4
Authentication type : none

important : after tapping it to make it active, restart your phone. :)

aweinograd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Try this fellas, got it from Tmobile today to finally get mine working....

Connection Name : T-mobile mms

Internet APN

Access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : Blank
Password : Blank
Proxy Port : 8080
Network Type : IPv4
Authentication Type : none

MMS APN

MMS access point name : epc.tmobile.com
Username : blank
Password : blank
Proxy port : 8080
MMSC address : http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Network type : IPv4
Authentication type : none

important : after tapping it to make it active, restart your phone. :)

Ok, so this fixed my MMS issue. I have Access Point installed and have been when I select T-Mobile on the list it won't set it to active. Once I changed the settings to the ones above for MMS it worked. Not sure why...

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Look into a Rogers unlocked for T-Mobile. It works well but if you follow the above directions for MMS you will lose WiFi Sharing (tethering) unless you have an upgraded plan.

This is not true.
DO NOT install the Access Point (same for Lumia 900 which has the same app called Network Setup) app which will cause you to lose Internet Sharing.
Roger's Lumia 920 already has the options to change Internet APN and MMS APN in the Cellular menu, use that, don't use Access Point app.
The Access Point app will modify the internal Internet Sharing APN which you can't change manually that cause Internet Sharing not working (it will show up saying contact your carrier...)

I have the Rogers Lumia 920 and have both MMS and Internet Sharing working on T-Mobile (without the tethering plan).

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So I'm just noticing that I'm having issues with group messaging. I can't send or receive group text messages but single person messaging works fine.
Anyone else experience this?

Edit: Manually putting in the apn's fixed my issue. Weird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo