Not so good news

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it just one of those Nokia Haters. That guy probably hasn't seen any Lumia Phones especially the 920....

He is just predicting and he probably went off on this one. We should not pay attention to such articles. I think Nokia should come out saying that this is totally baseless. If ever, they wanted to sell the Mobility division, they wouldn't have came out with new Lumia phones.
why does your 920 say nokia on the back and mine say zeiss

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I understand. What I'm saying is that it is ridiculous to assert that somehow Nokia is making better decisions than Apple. Apple is a huge money maker, Nokia will soon be sold to the highest bidder.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

how do you figure they will be sold to the highest bidder?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
last year Apple had to decide what to do with the 100 BILLION dollars they had laying around in CASH. Yeah, Nokia didn't.

yeah, all of that from the iPhone. Last time I checked, Apple also makes other things other than smartphones that contribute to their revenue stream. ITunes us kinda big too I think.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
So which is it? Is Apple handcuffing itself or are they brilliant for creating multiple income streams? You can't have it both ways.
yeah, all of that from the iPhone. Last time I checked, Apple also makes other things other than smartphones that contribute to their revenue stream. ITunes us kinda big too I think.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So which is it? Is Apple handcuffing itself or are they brilliant for creating multiple income streams? You can't have it both ways.

You were the one boasting about the wealth of Apple. I was just pointing out that there was more to their wealth than just phone sales. And yes, they are handcuffing themselves by not putting cheap handsets in the hands of emerging markets. In North America they reign supreme, but everywhere else not so much - a lot to do with the crazy margins built into their products.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No, I understand. What I'm saying is that it is ridiculous to assert that somehow Nokia is making better decisions than Apple. Apple is a huge money maker, Nokia will soon be sold to the highest bidder.

I don't think he was necessarily saying Nokia was making better decisions, although I can understand why you would infer that. It's simple really, Apple only caters to the premium markets, not the emerging markets that the 610, 505, and Asha lines are intended for. In that respect, Apple is not hedging its bets by choosing to not offer products intended for those emerging markets.

Apple can have multiple revenue streams, but still handcuff itself within the mobile phone sector. Nokia has multiple revenue streams as well, outside of mobile phones. That's not the point that Crystal_Planet was trying to get across.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things:
- Nokia (and others) going after fledgling, untapped markets is smart business. Period.
- Stop acting like the golden age of Apple will continue forever. It wasn't that long ago when Jobs approached Gates for help.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Not an Apple supporter by any means. However, saying they are leaning on the iPhone too much while Nokia went all in on the WP market is a bit....um....

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
It's simple really, Apple only caters to the premium markets, not the emerging markets that the 610, 505, and Asha lines are intended for. In that respect, Apple is not hedging its bets by choosing to not offer products intended for those emerging markets.

You might want to get some news from somewhere other that WPCentral every now and then......

Apple again predicted to build low-cost iPhone for emerging markets

Exclusive: Apple readies cheaper iPhone for growth markets | Reuters

Apple said to be considering budget iPhone for emerging markets

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You might want to get some news from somewhere other that WPCentral every now and then......

Wow, bringing out the claws, are we? It's rather presumptuous of you to assume that my opinions are based solely on what WP Central reports.

Two of your posted links are links to analysts predicting that Apple will release a product for emerging markets. No such plans have actually been announced, as far as I know. The other is a link saying that Apple may price the iPhone 4 to market it to more cost-conscious consumers. They've already begun that to a degree, offering the 3GS and iPhone 4 for cheaper. However, the consumers that the Asha series and Lumia 610/505s are marketed to, are not likely to be able to afford an iPhone 4, although I do think a 3GS will be competitive with the Lumia 610/505 in terms of cost. A 3GS is still too expensive for the Asha markets, however. Remember, in most of the world, phones are not subsidized.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not an Apple supporter by any means. However, saying they are leaning on the iPhone too much while Nokia went all in on the WP market is a bit....um....

Fair point. You could argue that Nokia's reliance on the WP platform is handcuffing itself. I agree, if Nokia's financial situation/contractual obligations (assumed) allowed them to produce phones with Android, I would prefer it.

However, that being said, the Asha series of phones does not rely on the success of the WP platform, as it is based on Nokia's S40 OS. In that respect, Apple is more reliant on a single OS than Nokia is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo