Frustrated New User - Don't Want To Go Back

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I left five years of iOS experience for this sweet piece of Finnish hardware, but have run into a few challenges that can't be addressed by the Microsoft Store staff (I tried), and am asking for your help so I don't have to go back to the bordom of iOS. I suspect some of the issues below are user issues and hopefuly you true geniuses can assist.

• Cannot Access/Upload Pre-Recorded Video in the Camera Roll via Vimeo or any other App
  • Cannot scroll through music playback?must use ?FF? and ?RR? buttons
  • No playback location of where an album last left off?
  • No gapless playback of music?
  • Unified volume? Rings, Applications, etc. My Voicemail seems to always be at 0. Bluetooth varies?very frustrating.
  • No Bedtime Mode?
  • No WAV support for Cisco VMs?
  • Resuming from Pause within ?Music? launches WhatsApp

Thank you in advance to anyone that can knock off a bullet point.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been browsing the forums and as I am looking to move back to a windows mobile oS (I have been palm,palm, wm, wm, webOS, android). But some of these I'd like to see addressed better. I can almost live with a pause between music (really shouldn't HAVE to), but WAV support is a must for me. Anyone with any updated comments on how to get WAV's to play (and not to contact IT, I am IT, and we have one choice in our phone switch).

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Some of those such as gapless music playback, scrubbing (scrolling through music timeline), and WAV support are just not supported right now.

Generally for me the volume of various things remembers the last setting I used. My music usually pauses and picks up where I left it. If you completely stop playing an album it will not pick up where it left off.

Bedtime mode you are probably best off finding an app for. IOS doesn't really have a bedtime mode either...

It might be a security concern but some have used phoneconvert.com which you forward the attachment to and it converts it into a new format and sends you a link to listen to the VM.

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
whats the last dot means? I have both app and does that a lot, but never happen to miss launch whatsapp.

The last bullet point is an interesting one. When I go into "Music + Videos" from the start tile, the album is grey/blank and says "paused". When I click on the album, WhatsApp launches...pretty odd bug to say the least.

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Some of those such as gapless music playback, scrubbing (scrolling through music timeline), and WAV support are just not supported right now.

Generally for me the volume of various things remembers the last setting I used. My music usually pauses and picks up where I left it. If you completely stop playing an album it will not pick up where it left off.

Bedtime mode you are probably best off finding an app for. IOS doesn't really have a bedtime mode either...

It might be a security concern but some have used phoneconvert.com which you forward the attachment to and it converts it into a new format and sends you a link to listen to the VM.

Thank you for the constructive reply and direction to phoneconvert.com. I will have to dig into their T&Cs. For "bedtime" mode, I have just been using good old airplane mode when at home. Unfortunatly, this doesn't work well when traveling and need to be available to be reached by a select few/family. In iOS this is accomplished by setting people as VIPs and Do Not Disturb.

As you have the most informative responses, can you shed some light on accessing videos shot on the camera roll? Are they completely blocked off to applications by the OS, or is there a setting I have overlooked?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The WhatsApp bug is intentional. It is how the makers of the app somehow keep WhatsApp going. It is not Microsoft's or Nokia's fault

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This would be brilliant of them, but hijacking Music + Videos means there is an issue with WP8. Microsoft's Connect site is not accepting bug report for WP8...anyone know where one can report bugs?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just go back to ios. It will be easier for everybody

I've been seeing a ton of these threads lately, and I agree with you - these people should just stay on iOS.

I really don't understand why people are leaving iOS to try Windows Phone, and then complaining when WP isn't EXACTLY LIKE iOS.

If Apple's products are serving your needs, use them. Why would you switch?

It's like someone who has never driven a stick shift buying a car with one just because they're "bored" of automatic. It makes no sense.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing a ton of these threads lately, and I agree with you - these people should just stay on iOS.

I really don't understand why people are leaving iOS to try Windows Phone, and then complaining when WP isn't EXACTLY LIKE iOS.

If Apple's products are serving your needs, use them. Why would you switch?

It's like someone who has never driven a stick shift buying a car with one just because they're "bored" of automatic. It makes no sense.

Because there is kid on the cross road shouting "Lumia 920 is the new iPhone"

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh don't start. These are legitimate concerns. He's simply looking for features found on his old mobile OS, its not a "omg why isn't WP not exactly like IOS" whine thread.

Fact of the matter is even older users coming from Symbian would've had the same issues. I'm still looking for a silence scheduler but I've come to accept that its just a WP limitation at this point. Other newer users obviously wanna ask around first before they throw in the towel and decide if they're going back to their old platforms.

As it stands, WP is attracting a lot of new users because it's a fresh design and the fact that Nokia has come on-board. WP will be getting a ton of old Symbian users migrating to WP in addition to switchers from iOS/Android and they're bound to be disappointed when they realize that there are some key features missing from the platform.

The experience isn't the same for everyone of course, some will only find a couple of features missing from what they normally use and wouldn't be enough to sway them back to their old camp and others might find a long list of missing items.

I myself am still missing Profiles, Silence Scheduler, Call and SMS Blocker to name a few. I've looked high and low for apps that would do this but as I understand this is just a limitation of the platform right now as Microsoft hasn't enabled app developer access to these features. Which is really an injustice because they haven't implemented these features native to the platform either. It's like how there's no native access to instagram on WP (no official app, no wp integration) and yet instagram refuses to allow third party apps to sign-up/upload directly.

So as it stands, just as thousands of instagram users are unable to use instagram on WP. There's a bunch of us stuck with no way of making our phones do what other phones can (block calls/sms, silence by schedule etc).

To the OP: so sorry for derailing your topic, but I would uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp if I were you. That's a bug and doesn't happen on my device. It's the first instance I've read of that happening on a 920.

Last edited:

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
VJ, thank you for stating the purpose behind the post. Frankly, my post should be one of encouragement as people are moving to the WP platform. The outrage and messages of "go back to where you came from" are quite a surprise and one which doesn't foster the type of community I suspect WP would like to develop. Thanks to those who had thoughtful and meaningful responses. People such as myself inquiring about features/functions are positive for WP. If it is coming up more and more, great! Perhaps there should be a post or page dedicated to some of the finer points behind making the move to WP, and not xenophobic responses.

aghodsi

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post and I will dedicate it to people like you that recommend others to stay at their last platform. You guys are a disgrace for the community.

I am currently an android user, and have been for 3 years and will be making the leap next week to the Lumia 920. I have watched a lot of video's, forums and sites. I know that there are some consequences. So Tylerjp, this is the first thing you should realise(I think), as I remind myself this every time I find something that is lacking in WP.

The OS is only 2 years old and is at its second iteration. So compare this to iOS2 or Gingerbread. It 's going to have flaws. Your issues are legit, but I think it will be worth while to wait and see what Microsoft has in store. They update the OS, they have provided WP7 major updates, so you will receive them as well sooner or later and most of the issues that you said will be handled.

I can't help you much till next week, but I 'd say, stay right where you are and the people saying that people should leave the platform, you leave it yourself as you are bad advertisement for the platform.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
VJ, thank you for stating the purpose behind the post. Frankly, my post should be one of encouragement as people are moving to the WP platform. The outrage and messages of "go back to where you came from" are quite a surprise and one which doesn't foster the type of community I suspect WP would like to develop. Thanks to those who had thoughtful and meaningful responses. People such as myself inquiring about features/functions are positive for WP. If it is coming up more and more, great! Perhaps there should be a post or page dedicated to some of the finer points behind making the move to WP, and not xenophobic responses.

Firstly, welcome to Windows Phone!

I think some of the objection comes from the ever so slightly patronizing tone of your posts. My first thought was that English may not be your first language, if that is the case, then it's a common mistake when just trying to be polite.

Either way, I hope you love your Lumia 920 even though it may be missing a few things you are used to. There are lots of other cool things that you are yet to discover, so hang in there, the known problems are the easy ones to fix, but you can't fix boring.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you can't help the OP move on to another thread. Telling this person to go away isn't helping anyone. This person is looking for help with some very specific concerns. To the OP the BP's listed are common concerns for many. Sounds like you might be coming from BB. The items on your list haven't been addressed in WP at this time. Here is a thread that might give you a heads up on some things that are missing from WP.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nt-like-wp8-part-2-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

When you have a chance add your personal requests to the list.

tylerjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dogfish54.

English is my first language, and I can see where my initial post could be construed as patronizing, but it was surprise. I had done a fair amount of research prior to making the jump on release day, but didn't come across these annoyances.

This being said, I continue to be impressed by the 920 and recommend it to friends.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
  • Cannot Access/Upload Pre-Recorded Video in the Camera Roll via Vimeo or any other App

WP doesn't have a file system your personal data is kept safe using sandboxing. Apps can use system functions but do not share data. This keeps your data safe from any app steeling your personal information, pictures whatever

• Cannot scroll through music playback?must use ?FF? and ?RR? buttons

If you tap and hold the FF or RR you will scroll through.

• No playback location of where an album last left off?

Hmm... Not sure on this one what you want. If you pause a song then start it again it will start from the same place. Things like podcasts will also start from where ever you paused them at no matter what until you get to the end of the podcast. On a podcast it is obvious that you wouldn't want to start over but on an album how is the music player supposed to know that you don't want to hear the song again?

• No gapless playback of music?

I'm not sure what music you are listening too I don't have gaps in my music. Are you sure you are using it correctly?

• Unified volume? Rings, Applications, etc. My Voicemail seems to always be at 0. Bluetooth varies?very frustrating.

Something you want I hope you get but I also hope they have a way to turn it off. I like the way it is done now. Its simple if I want it loud I turn it up if I don't I turn it down. Simple

• No Bedtime Mode?

There are no apps for this at this time. Something simple where I could silence the phone with a timer would be great.

• No WAV support for Cisco VMs?

I have no clue what this is

• Resuming from Pause within ?Music? launches WhatsApp

I don't use WhatsApp but we have many threads about people having issues with it. Keep in mind WP8 has only been out for a couple of months. Still in its infancy with room to grow. As updates roll out options will be added and at least some of what you want is possible. Did you knoe we have already received an update with WP8. Not bad barley a month old and we are already receiving an update with features added.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Fact of the matter is even older users coming from Symbian would've had the same issues. I'm still looking for a silence scheduler but I've come to accept that its just a WP limitation at this point. Other newer users obviously wanna ask around first before they throw in the towel and decide if they're going back to their old platforms.

As it stands, WP is attracting a lot of new users because it's a fresh design and the fact that Nokia has come on-board. WP will be getting a ton of old Symbian users migrating to WP in addition to switchers from iOS/Android and they're bound to be disappointed when they realize that there are some key features missing from the platform..

I am one of those Symbian\Nokia users.. I've been using it for over 6 years and naturally I am very comfortable with it. I bought a Lumia 900 (ATT) a little after it came out to test it out and see how it compares to my 808, and I felt like I had to make way to many sacrifices to switch from Symbian to WP, and I am not talking about the camera.

So.. for me personally a 920 will feel more like a downgrade than an upgrade from the 808. Yes.. I love the UX, and I really like IE .. but its just not enough for me to say .. oh ya.. that is a perfect replacement for my 808. I am not saying that Microsoft won't make WP more appealing to people like me, but for now I feel like the Symbian user base Nokia has/had is probably more likely to go towards Android than WP, simply because they are kind of similar in terms of UX.

I would never switch to Android.. at least not until they have that VM in there.. it just feels like a hack job.. almost like they knew Redmond had something big and they wanted to get their OS out there first so they don't get blown away..

But ya.. as far as Symbian.. I can honestly say that I am a satisfied user and Nokia/Microsoft will have to work a little bit harder, and go a little bit further (Grateful Dead - The Wheel!!) to get my money :)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I am one of those Symbian\Nokia users.. I've been using it for over 6 years and naturally I am very comfortable with it. I bought a Lumia 900 (ATT) a little after it came out to test it out and see how it compares to my 808, and I felt like I had to make way to many sacrifices to switch from Symbian to WP, and I am not talking about the camera.

So.. for me personally a 920 will feel more like a downgrade than an upgrade from the 808. Yes.. I love the UX, and I really like IE .. but its just not enough for me to say .. oh ya.. that is a perfect replacement for my 808. I am not saying that Microsoft won't make WP more appealing to people like me, but for now I feel like the Symbian user base Nokia has/had is probably more likely to go towards Android than WP, simply because they are kind of similar in terms of UX.

I would never switch to Android.. at least not until they have that VM in there.. it just feels like a hack job.. almost like they knew Redmond had something big and they wanted to get their OS out there first so they don't get blown away..

But ya.. as far as Symbian.. I can honestly say that I am a satisfied user and Nokia/Microsoft will have to work a little bit harder, and go a little bit further (Grateful Dead - The Wheel!!) to get my money :)

Sorry to hear that. :eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention