Frustrated New User - Don't Want To Go Back

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ no you are not :)

I am just saying.. Nokia was Nokia long before Microsoft came into the picture, and what V J posted is a true, there are a lot of Symbian users out there that have been with Nokia for just as long and switching to WP is not as straightforward as some might think. If you are a new user, like the OP, then you have a very different perspective to what an "old" Nokia/Symbian user might have.

And yes.. my post may be "trollish" but that wasn't my intention really.. just being honest.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
^ no you are not :)

I am just saying.. Nokia was Nokia long before Microsoft came into the picture, and what V J posted is a true, there are a lot of Symbian users out there that have been with Nokia for just as long and switching to WP is not as straightforward as some might think. If you are a new user, like the OP, then you have a very different perspective to what an "old" Nokia/Symbian user might have.

And yes.. my post may be "trollish" but that wasn't my intention really.. just being honest.

My N9 is sitting right here on the table beside me. I seen a 909 once but never owned one. In my opinion Symbian hardware just couldn't push the software. The 909 I played with for 10 minutes was finally able to really push the OS. Nokia built a device for Symbian that worked then walked away. Its a shame really buy I believe Nokia new Symbian is dead and that WP has the room to grow into the future.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion Symbian hardware just couldn't push the software.
.. I was thinking about that today.. I had my ip5 and the 808 on the desk in front of me and I thought.. hm, iOS 6 probably won't even be able to boot on ARM 11 with 512ram, let alone do the things Symbian does on this old platform. In fact.. here, take a look at this

iOS vs. Symbian - general use - YouTube

I made it couple of months ago. I've been using my 808 alongside the ip5 since the 5 launched and I can tell you that Symbian holds its own against ios 6 .. it even does certain things better.

Its a shame really buy I believe Nokia new Symbian is dead and that WP has the room to grow into the future.

Oh yes.. Symbian is in "zombie" mode right now, so there really is no future for the platform. WP is in its infancy.. and it looks like a winner.. but it will take some time. I am also doubtful if they would have made it without Nokia..

But I can tell you with certainty that WP will never control the market the way Symbian did in the late 90s early 00s.. my best case prediction for the platform is around 30% market share at its peak.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Cisco voicemails - the user is probably set up with Cisco IP communicator at work or something similar and they want to be able to listen to voice mails left on their work number. Back in October my employer converted our building to VOIP and Cisco is the underlying base for it. If someone leaves me a voice mail a .wav file is attached to an email that goes straight to my inbox. It's tied into my voicemail box so if I delete it in Outlook it will also delete it on my voicemail. The .wav files come in handy because you can forward messages to co-workers who then only have to double click on a .wav file to hear the message.

I use a Jabra Supreme UC which acts as the headset for my softphone at work and my Lumia 920. When I'm not on a call with someone at work I'm streaming music from my phone. It's very handy.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing a ton of these threads lately, and I agree with you - these people should just stay on iOS.

I really don't understand why people are leaving iOS to try Windows Phone, and then complaining when WP isn't EXACTLY LIKE iOS.

If Apple's products are serving your needs, use them. Why would you switch?

It's like someone who has never driven a stick shift buying a car with one just because they're "bored" of automatic. It makes no sense.

Because IOS boredom is what MS is banking on. MS needs to be listening to these people to make additions to WP8 if they really want to gain marketshare. I am thankful they are coming over here and asking questions instead of just jumping ship back to IOS. Be more helpful.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
omg, im late to an interesting thread :p

first off, just want to tell the guys that keep telling people to go back to a different platform to please stop commenting or reading these threads... these guys are looking for help not like some other threads that just troll (which would be different in that case)

for the .wav files, I remember hearing VLC is looking to build an WP8 app as well after they build an app for Windows 8, and they already have achieved their goal for funding, given that the core is vastly similar, I think there is a good chance that the WP8 app will appear shortly after the Windows 8 one. I think that will fix the .wav file problem. The company I work for just started switching to Cisco as well, but for some unknown upper management issue we're not getting that function =..= we still have to dial in to our phone to listen to VMs... I don't understand these people...

now to the op, I started watching WP since it's birth and didn't start using one until early last year with the Lumia 800. One thing about being an early adopter is you will run into limitations and issues, but what I've found (with myself anyways) is that I actually enjoy seeing the platform mature and gain new abilities through time, like when we get updates that gave us more features like flip to silence for example it made me felt good and happy like I've leveled up in an RPG :p I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but seeing how quickly things improve in WP by Microsoft is really amusing and fun to me :) I'm sure they will fix alot more things this year, if you don't mind living with the limitation for a bit, I think you will fall in love with the platform as I have

btw, I remember hearing someone from MS said them self that they did run out of time for WP8 so they had to scale some features back such as notification center, so we may see alot more things to toy with in March of so (pure speculation...)

now one odd thing that I did find that might indicate how things might be different in regards to sandboxing in the future for WP8, when Windows 8 first launched I started developing a media app, when I started it there was a limitation to apps that you can not traverse through non-known folders (such as My Documents) automatically by the app, for some reason some time last month this changed after an update and I could do it with my app with no issues... so I'm getting the feeling Microsoft is starting to recognize the need to change the behavior of how things are sandboxed, they may create an open section in memory to allow data sharing, again this is pure speculation

(still waiting for my wife to finish the logo for my app... so it's not out yet, hopefully I can throw it onto the app store later this month :p)

btw there "is" one separate volume control, not sure if people noticed, if you are in a call and you try to change the volume, that's actually a separate setting on mine (the regular one is 0/30 and the one for phone call is 0/10) from what I've tried, it does make the volume different, but I don't know if that control changes just the voice when on a phone call or does it change the notification sounds during the phone call as well.... (hmm... this paragraph is not really making much sense... I hope you understand what I'm trying to say)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
omg, im late to an interesting thread :p

first off, just want to tell the guys that keep telling people to go back to a different platform to please stop commenting or reading these threads... these guys are looking for help not like some other threads that just troll (which would be different in that case)

It's also trolling to ignore OP's point about lack of gapless playback.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Agreed, I never understand the point of these whinging threads.

Then you should learn to read. The OP has some serious questions he would like answered. If you can't help then don't post. Off topic comments is not your strong sute

It's also trolling to ignore OP's point about lack of gapless playback.

Calling someone a troll is trolling... DONT!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
.. I was thinking about that today.. I had my ip5 and the 808 on the desk in front of me and I thought.. hm, iOS 6 probably won't even be able to boot on ARM 11 with 512ram, let alone do the things Symbian does on this old platform. In fact.. here, take a look at this

iOS vs. Symbian - general use - YouTube

I made it couple of months ago. I've been using my 808 alongside the ip5 since the 5 launched and I can tell you that Symbian holds its own against ios 6 .. it even does certain things better.

Oh yes.. Symbian is in "zombie" mode right now, so there really is no future for the platform. WP is in its infancy.. and it looks like a winner.. but it will take some time. I am also doubtful if they would have made it without Nokia..

But I can tell you with certainty that WP will never control the market the way Symbian did in the late 90s early 00s.. my best case prediction for the platform is around 30% market share at its peak.

Why did Symbian die and not take off? That is exactly like iOS! Or is that just the most recent version of Symbian after iOS?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Why did Symbian die and not take off?

hmm..its more like Symbian took off, got really high (higher than where android is now) and then it crash landed. It was doing everything the "modern" platforms are doing now years ago.. like for example multitasking on a mobile device.. yes, Symbian was doing that in 1993.

Times change.. Nokia messed up and didn't change with the times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077