Top of the phone flexing/creaking

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed after having their 920 for an extended period of time that the top of the phone creaks? This is my 3rd 920 and my 4th is supposed to be on the way and I've had this one the longest. When I first received it the phone felt solid and it didn't creak anywhere now it creak along the entire top where the rubber meets the plastic. I can put my finger nail between the rubber and plastic and flex it upwards. I believe this happens due to the phone getting excessively hot when charging wirelessly or wall charging. Or just heating up in general. Its like the plastic case is expanding.

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. I JUST tried to screw the bottom two hex screws tighter and the creaking at the top went away! Try it out, make sure it's tight - the screw should look visibly into the case, rather than flush.

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Let me know. this may be exactly what's wrong with all the creaking phones out there, the bottom screws may not be screwed in all the way tightly, also - make sure to hold down the top tight while screwing the bottom, I noticed the screws gave very slight give for additional tightness

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Was going to return mine for this same fault. Worried about it being loose and dust getting in. I'll try this as well. What size hex driver / torque driver?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 cyan 920s and 1 uses a t5 and the other a t6. I tried it and on 1 side it seemed to help but on the side with the att logo up to the speaker still creaks

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
try unscrewing the creaking side a bit, then push down and forward and see if it short of clicks in a bit, then while holding that side down, tighten the screw back in tight.

akiman911

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
be careful doing this, I doubt it will fix most of your problems...

I think what one poster said is true, regarding excessive heat warping/expanding the plastic resulting in the creaking.

I believe they are not very well made especially earlier batches, I have gone through a couple of 920's(to say the least) and I notice some minor changes in the body specifically pertaining to this issue. Later batches undoubtedly have less give between screen and frame/body, among primary differences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett