Can't play YouTube videos on wifi only - 4G is fine?!?

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
On my Lumia 920, when I navigate to m.youtube.com and try to play a video, I get an error message that says, "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone". However, this only happens when I am connected to Wifi (I have tried several different networks, including my campus network). The same videos play fine over 4G...

To complicate matters further, if the video has an advertisement before the video, the ad will play when the phone is connected to Wifi, but then the same error message comes up when the main video starts. I have tried soft reset and clearing internet history/temp files (not to mention turning wifi on/off), and nothing has fixed this so far. I have also tried switching to the desktop version of the website on my phone, and the same thing happens. My carrier is AT&T; please help...

Edit: If your only suggestion is to use a third party app, such as Metrotube, I'm not interested. I want to fix the problem at hand, rather than ignore it with a workaround.

Bomberfrog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just a guess but it could be a Region thing stopping it from YouTubes end... So the WiFi your connecting to may be triggering youTube to think your in a Regioon where that Video is not accessible?? So really if its All vids on youtube im wrong if its just a few you have tried I suggest checking more to be sure...

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just a guess but it could be a Region thing stopping it from YouTubes end... So the WiFi your connecting to may be triggering youTube to think your in a Regioon where that Video is not accessible?? So really if its All vids on youtube im wrong if its just a few you have tried I suggest checking more to be sure...

I have tried about 25 videos so far, and none seem to work. My "region" is Indiana, and I can't imagine why this would be blocked...

Bomberfrog

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you always on the m.youtube site ? Asbi generally just use the full youtube.com site and it works fine.. Is it the same ?

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess we'll never know. I contacted Nokia, and after several troubleshooting steps, finally resigned myself to the tech's suggestion of a hard reset. Bricked my phone in the process. Since it has a gouge in the top corner from when I dropped it a few days after I got it (you don't notice it unless you're looking for it, but it still bothers me), it's off to AT&T in the morning for a replacement handset...

cominatyalive

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't play YouTube videos on wifi only - 4G is fine?!? DUDE! Did you do this?

Seems like the same problem here,

At first I thought it was because I added my 920 to the trusted computer list
in my netgear wireless modem at home that was keeping me from watching youtube videos, actually guys,
it's not just the youtube videos not playing. The Nokia 920 Lumia will connect with the old netgear router, and it looks like your viewing
fresh web pages, but in all reality, it's just aceessing the pages that are in your history. It will load the home pages, but no further.

I have also done the hard reset on my Win phone 8 Nokia 920 and bricked it sure as crap, but was lucky enough that there is information
and a video tutorial on here at Win Phone Central showing you how to flash your phone into the factory fresh condition like the day you bought it.
I have done it and it works flawlessly like a charm.

But even with the 920 restored, it still refuses to access web pages, even though it is connected to my Old Style Comcast Netgear Wireless Modem/Router.
I tried a newer U-Verse modem Router and the phone worked correctly with it connected to my home network, but not the old Netgear Wireless Modem/Router.
Turns out, that this Netgear Router is on the (End Of Life) list now and is highly outdated. I will be hooking up a newer Wireless (N) router/Modem soon and I
will update you guys & Gals in the outcome soon. Thanks.

Cominatyalive
Zion, IL, USA

Last edited:

Mohak Adav

May 1, 2013
Visit site
At first all videos used to work on my lumia 720 on my wifi connection, then from today it started showing the message "Sorry we can't play this file on your phone". Then i started youtube on my service provider's connection (3G) and it worked fine.

Dawid Bredenkamp

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and I fixed it by playing around with my settings on the router. I must admit that more than half of the settings is Greek to me and everything I did not know what it was, I disabled. My router also had a default DNS ip address witch I changed to auto detect DNS. Watch my website, I will post some screen shots of all the pages that I made changes to there at www dot dawid dot co dot za slash router dot htm. Sorry but this silly forum does not allow me to post links because it is my first post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs