Not everyday but my Lumia 920 keep locking itself after portico

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if out there still people with this same problem. My phone keeps locking itself after many hours without using it or when is charging and gets full and i leave it on the charger.At the beginning i thought it was some apps and i uninstalled them and the problem went away for a while but then after a few days it returned.I installed Portico which was supposed to fix this issue but it keeps happening from time to time. This is the only problem it has and is not everyday that happens.It can be a few days without happening and then it happens again. To me this is a software problem and not the phone, i have hard reset it a few times and even i have flashed it a few times too but after doing this the device is ok for a couple of days and then the problem comes back. I was wondering how many people still have this problem after the Portico update, my last option if it bothers me a lot is to contact Nokia to get a replacement but with those negatives stories about people getting worst devices after exchanging the first one maybe i wait and stay with it until a fix is release because this is the only thing my phone has. Other than that battery is excellent, great pictures and the device is great overall. I really want to hear other stories cause right now i feel like i'm the only one with this issue.

willybraatlund

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
He says lock, but I think he means the same problem I've got. If I leave the phone for a while, or at night when its charging, it turns itself off, and the only way to start it up is to soft reset (volume down + power).

Gurpreet1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Not all the time, but I would say every 2nd day the screen doesn't turn off after I press the power button. I have to soft reset it and then it reboots and its fine until the next time. Very annoying! Also when the phone turns off like that, my calls get directed to voicemail after 1 ring, and no txts/emails/alerts sounds or vibe happens. So basically I have no way of knowing if my phone is in that state or not until I try to press the power button and nothing happens; at least if rebooted I would be more ok with that. The portico update didn't resolve anything for me; I'm on a Rogers Lumia 920.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue, disabling all my background tasks seemed to make it go away. Kind of a crappy solution, but I'm guessing there must be a bug in the phone OS that allows background tasks to hard lock the phone.

Gurpreet1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue, disabling all my background tasks seemed to make it go away. Kind of a crappy solution, but I'm guessing there must be a bug in the phone OS that allows background tasks to hard lock the phone.

Yeah I tried that also, also I make sure to close out every app before I turn off the screen. It still does the same thing for me.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
He says lock, but I think he means the same problem I've got. If I leave the phone for a while, or at night when its charging, it turns itself off, and the only way to start it up is to soft reset (volume down + power).

I was referring to the same problem you have. I leave the phone without using it for a few hours then when i pick it up and press the power button to unlock the screen it does nothing. Like you said the only solution is a soft reset to power it on and be able to use it.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You mean lock or restart or shut down? Because every 920 lock itself within 3min

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by willybraatlund

I was referring to the same problem you have. I leave the phone without using it for a few hours then when i pick it up and press the power button to unlock the screen it does nothing. Like you said the only solution is a soft reset to power it on and be able to use it.

mamilo1

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem. When a call was made, the screen went black and nothing I did would turn it back on. I couldn't switch to Speakers, use the keypad and couldn't end calls so voice messages would keep recording.

After reading this thread, I blew everywhere on the phone and it definitely solved the problem. The question is, where exactly do you need to blow in order for the fix? A picture would be appreciated.

Thanks!

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So I've been chatting with the Windows Phone support people and Nokia, and they had me disable WiFi, and that seems to have fixed my random lockups entirely (even after re-enabling background tasks). I suspect they might have an idea what's going on here.

cameron12x

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Disabling WiFi kind of defeats the purpose of using your home network (or any network). I hope you have a robust data plan!

To me that is a completely inadequate workaround.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Disabling WiFi kind of defeats the purpose of using your home network (or any network). I hope you have a robust data plan!

To me that is a completely inadequate workaround.

I agree 100%, but if they know what's going on hopefully it's something that can be fixed soon. I'd rather deal with disabling wifi than randomly having the phone die.

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This problems only happen after used around few weeks.

I guess it is the background task or network something.
I am focusing on Skype, but don't have any conclusion right now.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem and here is what I have noticed (though I don't have any possible solutions yet)
1. Every time I leave work for the day. I do have it on wifi all day at work.
2. Travelling in the car, if I get a "New Wifi Network" notification, I know it will lock without fail. Sometimes, it will lock without the notification.

Because it always happened when I left work or was in the car, I suspected it had something to do with the GPS...

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem and here is what I have noticed (though I don't have any possible solutions yet)
1. Every time I leave work for the day. I do have it on wifi all day at work.
2. Travelling in the car, if I get a "New Wifi Network" notification, I know it will lock without fail. Sometimes, it will lock without the notification.

Because it always happened when I left work or was in the car, I suspected it had something to do with the GPS...
I want to ask few questions to collect information,
1. It happens from Day 1 or it is a recent problem?
2. Do you enable your cellular data connection when you leave work?
3. Did you install skype?

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same issue after portico. I also got Photostream at the same time. I'm going to disable Photostream and see if that fixes the issue. usually just happens at night for me after it fully charges and is not being used. I'm at work right now, I will not use it for a while to see if it locks up on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786