Can't see files on Lumia 920 in Windows Explorer

Michael Durthaler

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just so that others don't get tripped up ... if your phone is showing up "Empty" on Windows 8 but you KNOW (LOL) it works on Windows 7 by just hooking up your USB and you can browse, use your password.

I didn't think this was it when I could not just simply browse my phone but in a fit of apathy (that's a contradiction in terms ... someone in a fit hasn't given up yet :angry: ) I finally tried it and Lo and Behold! I could browse my phone and copy files over.

DON'T get caught up in this one -- you CAN'T use One Drive and download from it to your Music folder. I thought again I had to be in error and wasn't. Confirmed with a Microsoft Rep via chat that One Drive isn't at all intuitive and it WON'T WORK AS ADVERTISED. You'll be able to see and select your files and then be left wondering " ... where could they have hidden the menu to MOVE my files ..." and if you do that, they will be moved. God only knows where.

After having spent time trying One Drive first, then working my way through the maze to finally get on chat, then finally figuring out what was up with the USB connection not letting me browse, seriously ... I spent nearly 3 hours moving 8 lectures over to my phone.

I'm a Microsoft Developer with Dot Net Nuke, I love it. I want to learn to do Windows Phone Apps, I think this would be a blast but frankly ... Microsoft really blew it and the convenience of One Drive just isn't there. No, wrong words completely. It SUCKS! And with throwing the curve of having to log into your phone with your password password to browse your phone ONLY ON WINDOWS 8 and not on 7 and say nothing ... that's really wizzed me off.

The experience I've had today is definitely not a warm and fuzzy and my Kudos go out to the rep in the chat session who mentioned this wasn't intuitive at all. I really felt like hell until I ran into this honest guy.

This being said, I just got my files over to my phone and during workouts, cycling, express bus rides can listen to my lectures and that's great. But I should have been done before lunch, NOT so late in the afternoon that I'm wondering what I'll fix for dinner right about now.

And that's all the news that's fit to print from Mike Durthaler in Columbus, Ohio. Goodnight America and be safe until the next broadcast. :confused:

saeid rasouli

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Thank You, I had same problem in Lumia 950 XL dual SIM, I couldn't open any app like : photos, Dial pad, Messages, People and couldn't see files when connection windows phone 10 to my computer (pc), after your advice i removed SD card and now my phone working properly. So problem reffer to SD Card and low storage.:love:

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
@Adequate
You are so spot on... I had the same issue with my 820 and followed your exact same procedure removing my SD card seem to allow me access to the content of my phone. There must be something linked with the SD card, haven't been able to validate the next step of repairing my sd card, For now I will just keep it out of my phone.

I can't believe this helped. You two are awesome! I just read your posts and thought; I had moved two downloaded videos to my Videos folder from the Downloads folder obviously to see them in the Films & TV app. This turned out to be the fatal decision. Once I deleted the two videos from the Videos folder, my Lumia 950 was once again discovered by File Explorer. Can't believe these highly qualified (euphemism) programmers at Microsoft are unable to put a try catch at the right spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans