Can't see files on Lumia 920 in Windows Explorer

Indefa

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I've had this problem for a day or so now. I connect my lumia 920 to my PC (Windows 7 ultimate x64) the phone makes a connection sound and it shows up under My Computer. However when I go to browse the files on the 920 it is just empty. Also when I try and use the WindowsPhone app it boots up on the welcome screen as if it's the first time I'm connecting it and does nothing when I press the continue button...

This hasn't always been the case as I was able to browse the files and use the WindowsPhone app for over a week without trouble previously.

What I have tried so far:

>Restarting my phone.
>Reinstalling the WindowsPhone app.
>Repairing and reinstalling .NET 4.5 and updating it.
>Turning my firewall off
>Connecting it to another USB port.
>Connecting it to my other computer.
>Hard resting my phone. (This left me stuck on the cog wheels for hours and I had to flash my phone to fix this)
>And maybe more things that I can't remember at the moment.

Interestingly when I had to hard reset it and wipe everything off the phone it worked fine, the app let the phone sync my music etc, I thought it had been fixed. BUT the second time I went to sync my phone the same problem happened! WindowsPhone app thinks its the first time and wont let me press continue and the device is just empty under My Computer.

The phone works fine otherwise, all my music and stuff is on it from the first sync and I have 0 problems besides this! Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the huge post :sweaty:

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Dou you've a password to unlock your phone or something ? If yes then you need to type it in on the phone to unlock first to see the files on your PC.

John R Williams

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly the same problem I'm having on Windows 8. My problem started when I tried "Find My Phone" and now it is stuck on that window and won't bring up photo and music syncing options. And it would appear from your comments that the only way of "fixing" it is if I "reset the phone". Surely this should not happen?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I suppose I'll have to return it and get another one. :unhappy:

It's a software issue on your phone or computer or both. Returning the phone isn't going to solve it, a new phone will likely do the same thing all things being equal. Try contacting Nokia support instead for a resolution.

Adequate

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, exactly the same happened with my Lumia 820. Something went wrong when I moved pictures downloaded from the internet from the folder "saved pictures" on the phone into another folder on the micro SD card and later deleted that folder. From that moment on my phone appeared empty in Windows Explorer. Solution: I removed the micro SD card from the phone and the issue was gone, I could see all folders and files on the phone in explorer again.
I checked the SD card on my PC and the folder that was supposed to be deleded was still there but corrupt (pictures could not be opened). I fixed it by running a dos-command chkdsk /f on the SD card. I inserted the SD card back into the phone and everything was fine again.
It looks like moving files / deleting folders stored the Lumia using Windows Explorer is a bit tricky and does not always work properly (I already had that a picture folder could not be deleted but always reappeared, there only a reset of phone helped).

P S A L M

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, exactly the same happened with my Lumia 820. Something went wrong when I moved pictures downloaded from the internet from the folder "saved pictures" on the phone into another folder on the micro SD card and later deleted that folder. From that moment on my phone appeared empty in Windows Explorer. Solution: I removed the micro SD card from the phone and the issue was gone, I could see all folders and files on the phone in explorer again.
I checked the SD card on my PC and the folder that was supposed to be deleded was still there but corrupt (pictures could not be opened). I fixed it by running a dos-command chkdsk /f on the SD card. I inserted the SD card back into the phone and everything was fine again.
It looks like moving files / deleting folders stored the Lumia using Windows Explorer is a bit tricky and does not always work properly (I already had that a picture folder could not be deleted but always reappeared, there only a reset of phone helped).
@Adequate
You are so spot on... I had the same issue with my 820 and followed your exact same procedure removing my SD card seem to allow me access to the content of my phone. There must be something linked with the SD card, haven't been able to validate the next step of repairing my sd card, For now I will just keep it out of my phone.

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem but my fix was for Windows 8 only....

(The windows 8 Music app was clashing with the phone and I had to disable Xbox Music Skydrive sync)
I don't know if that can be translated to help with windows 7 in some way :-\

Have you tried syncing on another computer?

Byung

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
It used to work fine with my Nokia 920+Windows7, but today I had the same issue. the solution was restarting the Windows phone while it's connected to a computer(win7), then the computer started installing the drive, and then the Windows Phone connects fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos