question about purchasing on at&t

Scadoosh

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering trading in my galaxy s3 for the lumia 920 but had a question for those of you familiar with at&t. can i just switch out the sim card and be good to go or will i have to have someone from at&t give me a new sim card? Also will i be charged a fee for switching phones? i think i was charged $35 when i got the gs3 as an "activation fee" which is bs and i eventually got waived.

On another note, is ebay the best place to put the gs3 up for sale? Seems to be going from $400-$450 in really good condition, which mine is. That would be great since id have to pay very little for the 920 brand new.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
If the Galaxy S3 uses a micro-SIM you should be able to just swap out the cards. As far as activation is concerned, they'll probably nail you with the $30 if you buy the phone under contract or need a new SIM card.

Not sure on where the best place to get rid of the S3 would be...

Scadoosh

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
yes its microsim. i started a new 2 year contract when i got the s3 this past summer so im hoping that since im buying the phone without renewing i wont have to deal with the activation fee. thanks for the answer.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably eBay the S3. Safe, fast, and lots of eyes on it. They'll still nail you for fees, but it's worth it to not have the aggravation of selling it directly.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
You should be fine, no fees, and no hassle switching cards. I have an HTC One X, a Lumia 900, and a Lumia 920. I switched out SIMs between the three (HTC One X to the 900, then back - was only testing 900 for development purposes -, and now to the 920) and haven't had a single fee. Everything should even update with the AT&T servers without you having to do anything. Seriously, it's ridiculously pain free to switch over.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've walked into AT&T a few times and swapped phones -- Blackjack to iPhone to Focus back to iPhone -- and was not charged anything. Maybe it's my good looks and winning smile. But I doubt it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you are swapping devices on ATT and you are already on contract and you have the device (Not buying it from them) they will activate it for free even if it needs a new sim. The GS3 is an LTE device and uses a micro sim so you should be able to just move the sim from one device to the other. To note if you have insurance it will not cover your eBay device it will still cover the last device you purchased from ATT.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I think that's for any of the purchases, so long as you make it before a certain date (I think it's in another week or two). I was contemplating getting one this way, but I have 1,000,000,000,000 micro usb chargers lying around that I decided it wasn't worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett