iPhone to Nokia 920 switch... So far, so good

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I thought wireless charging would be a silly gimmick but since I received my charger I now realise how much time and effort it really saves!! Just plonk it on and charge

Exactly same experience here. Bought it just two days ago, the wireless stand with NFC. Extremely convinient to have it in bedroom on night stand. Tap the NFC and put in stand and you have clock and phone is charging. Always in mornings battery is full (because with cord you don't necessarily plug it in for some reason or another). Absolutely useful and good feature.

Next step is to tune wireless charger to my car (navigation eats that much power that you want to have it in charger always).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
32 GB. Not MB. That would be... Small. Is wireless charging really that useful? I wish the 8x had it...
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

It's excellent. I kind of thought it was just a gimmick before I had it. Now that I do, it's kind got me spoiled. When I have to deal with all my other gadgets that don't have it I sort of sigh when plugging them in LOL.

Really though, it is fantastic to be able to just lay your phone on the table to charge it, and to just be able to grab it off your nightstand whenever without fiddling with wires.

I think at least some versions of the 8X have wireless charging, it may be something you can add if yours doesn't (?)

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
After a week with the phone I can honestly say I am really enjoying it, a litte rough around the edges but a very good OS and solid phone.

I really like Outlook's calendar much more than iCal and it syncs more cleanly with the WP than iCal ever did with my iPhone. Nokia Drive is a much better driving app than Google Maps or Apple Maps on the iPhone. The wireless charging is really much more functional than I would have guessed - it seemed like a gimick at first but it is really nice to just plop the phone on the plate and go. SkyDrive is every bit as good as iCloud. The Live Tiles are amazing - even my other hard core Apple friends think it is great and always want to play with my phone. The email app on the Nokia handles multiple emails much better than the iOS version and for me the way auto correct works is better than the iphone. I like a choice of possible words and I like that I initiate the change - the way the iPhone does it is faster - as long as it picks the right word when it makes the change, but as we all know it is posssible to text some amazingly awkward things on an iPhone.

Physically Apple is on to something with their form factor. In my hand anyway, the iPhone's width is much easier to manipulate with a single hand. Personally I am happy to sacrifice a little manipulative ease for the much larger screen, but I can certainly see people feeling strongly th eother way as well. Perhaps Apple should offer a choice, although for ease of app creation across devices maybe they don't want to offer too many choices. I don't know. My issue with the button is not as bad - but my hands still look for buttons in the iPhone locations. That will just take more time to get used to the new locations.

I have a few minor issues with the phone and OS that are mainly picky quibbles. I don't like how text doesn't wrap and flows off the screen, the back arrow is not consistent - sometimes it takes you back a screen and sometimes it takes you back to the main app screen. If it is consistent I haven't figured it out. I wish I didn't have to go through 2 steps to answer a phone call. Same with making a call from the home screen. When I pin a contact there, I'd really like to make a call when I select it - maybe a choice to be able to pin just the number or the contact. IE needs a good back button.

As I said, most of these are minor quibbles due more to a slightly youthful OS and my personal idiosyncracies. I suspect most will be cleaned up in due course. I can certainly blive with them, and I haven't found a phone that is perfect!

However, my biggest issue is that with so much Apple products around I am having trouble integrating it into my daily life. I can't get it to sync with my Macintosh and the software available runs on Lion which I currently don't have and won't be upgrading until summer. This could be a major problem for me. I love this phone and want it to work... anyone have any suggestions for this (or any of the minor issues)? I have 5 days left to decide to either keep it or return it...

Last edited:

MPAVictoria

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
For your syncing problem check out this line:
How To Install iBooks Author On OS X Snow Leopard | Digital Tweaker

I have had some success with this method. Biggest problem is editing the plist file for the Windows Phone Connector App. What I ended up doing is duplicating it using textwrangler, changing the version number in the copy to 10.6.8 and then replacing the original file with the copy i made the changes to.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I was able to sync my nokia 920 to my Macbook pro running 10.6.8 and music, photos and poscasts.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
For your syncing problem check out this line:
How To Install iBooks Author On OS X Snow Leopard | Digital Tweaker

I have had some success with this method. Biggest problem is editing the plist file for the Windows Phone Connector App. What I ended up doing is duplicating it using textwrangler, changing the version number in the copy to 10.6.8 and then replacing the original file with the copy i made the changes to.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I was able to sync my nokia 920 to my Macbook pro running 10.6.8 and music, photos and poscasts.

That sounds like an interesting project... I'll tackle it tomorrow. Thanks!

MPAVictoria

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Good luck! don't forget to make a backup copy of the OS X system plist file in case things go pear shaped.
/Seriously. Make a copy and leave it on your desktop.

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If the Mac Phone connector isn't working out for ya, I'd say give other music suites a try. I know iTunes won't sync to the Lumia but other softwares might (Winamp, Songbird - pretty much any piece of software that'll sync music to Android phones should work).

As for calling...the going through steps when you have a live tile pinned might be a pin but I think it gives you more options (takes the same amount of effort to e-mail, text, call, Skype or Facebook them!). You can additionally avoid another step by tapping on the little phone icon right beside every number in your call history (Phone app) - that's a quicker way to place a call.

Glad you are liking the phone though.

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Is this still true? I only ask because right now I have contacts from Google and Outlook.com and was wondering how to move every thing from Live to Google as I use Gmail more than Live but maybe I need to do more home work!

Well, Google extended it until July 31st. However, this only works for Windows Phone, not Windows 8 and RT
Just use Outlook/Live for your contacts and calendar, and use Gmail as your main email. :)

Google extends Windows Phone support for Exchange ActiveSync until July 31st | The Verge

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey, size doesn't matter :) Yes that is a typo.

I haven't decided if wireless charging is that useful yet. It is cool. I suspect it will be more useful with a cover - especially if it is one with covered ports. I have an Otterbox where the flap finally ripped from use.

Well, I don't have more than 45 yet. As it is the list is long and this seems to be one of those minor things that will be worked out as the OS becomes more mature. Then again, maybe it is a planned feature; I had many apps on my iPhone (my son downloads many games on our iPad and they also show up on my phone) and swiping through screen after screen isn't all that great either.

Couple of suggestions:
- get an official 920 silicone case from Nokia...it fits like a glove...they are out of stock everywhere unfortunately
- app list is a huge feature in my book...when you get 50 or so apps with an iphone you are forever swiping...with WP8 swipe to the right, select the first letter of the app name and boom, you have your app...seriously it's much better (ex- iphone/android user)
- the experience works much better if you jump completely into the windows ecosystem...there is no reason why you can't still use your macbook...sign up for an outlook.com account (live account..you already have it probably from setting up the phone)...there you can use skydrive and sync your office documents with your macbook. Also, outlook.com is far better than gmail...it is easy to switch and you'll be thankful

Cool review btw

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo