Nokia Drive+ Speed Cameras

robmif76

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I used Drive+ for the first time yesterday (in the UK) and all went fine apart from speed cameras not being detected. I looked through all the settings and I couldn't find anything relating to speed cameras. I was getting speed warnings yes but not specific camera alerts. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way of displaying all the 3 available options (time to destination, time of arrival and distance remaining) simultaneously? Plenty of room on the screen for all three.

thanks

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't tell you locations of that stuff, speed, red light or car pool cameras. It just pulls down the speed limit and lets you know if you're going over it...

Unless that is a great euro feature.

Try Trapster, community just for all the driving hazards, man made, natural, speed related and more...don't know how well it works in euroland but works great in USA.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Here in US, my Drive + does show me red light cameras (and maybe speed camera as I have not driven through those neighborhoods yet) and alerts me all the time. So, the app does have this capability. All it depends is the data from the map in your region.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
There's an app called 'Speed Cameras' (the one in wpcentral news a few days ago) which alerts you when you approach a speed camera. I haven't tried this myself but I assume it would work in tandem with Nokia Drive+ if you leave the Speed Cameras app open and ND running in the background. I don't think it'd work the other way around. Their database seems pretty good so it could be a decent solution.

Anyone care to give it a try? Bed time here in Australia, so I can't do it now.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The feature exists but maybe the map data is lacking. Nokia owns NAVTEQ which traditionally has better map data in US because it's headquartered in California. TomTom owns TeleAtlas which traditionally has better map data outside of US.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

robmif76

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The current version of Nokia Drive is very deficient, at least for WP8... I have it on my Lumia 920 (I'm in USA) - it does NOT display any local red light/speed cameras (regardless of what other people might be saying), there's no setting for enabling/disabling such feature and the app doesn't support importing custom POIs... My 3-year-old Garmin unit does all that and much more (including displaying more accurate traffic information) than this useless (in its current form) app...

I agree. One of the reasons I rushed into buying the phone is that I'm going to South Africa in a couple of weeks and I don't have a sat nav for there so I thought 2 birds with 1 stone etc. Oh well.

darquan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree. One of the reasons I rushed into buying the phone is that I'm going to South Africa in a couple of weeks and I don't have a sat nav for there so I thought 2 birds with 1 stone etc. Oh well.

I too wanted to kill two birds with one stone as you did except I have been to where I was going and used my phone as a sat nav. It worked brilliantly on a four week tour of New Zealand and never once did I have an issue with it. Sounds like some people maybe forgot to actually download the map for where they are in Nokia Maps first. I also agree with those saying obey the speed limit rather than obey it when your phone beeps at you. There are no apps for when approaching a traffic policeman are there.

Anderson9

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I am from Canada and there is an app called G.P.S Navigator Voice that has the speed Camera locations that works well on the Lumia 920
I have a Toyota Camry that has a Blue tooth system that I use to answer the phone hands free. The sounds from the G.P.S Navigator are cancelled out when the Bluetooth is selected through my 920.
All the sensors on the screen of the phone light up saying your coming into a red light zone, but no sounds unless you turn the Bluetooth option off in settings, but now you need to answer your phone manually.
Vibrate mode works with Bluetooth mode selected in settings. The red visual colors gets you eyes attention to warn you. If you were to plug a set of headphones into the jack on the phone the sounds are there. You could get an small speaker that plugs into the jack for sound. Nokia maps are free and don't use Data, running the app may cost you because it connects to the internet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven