Text message preview!!!!

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't have to be liked or agreed upon. Options are always good and thinking that way, for every YES on devs perspective they should create a NO. So for every design initiative they should create an option. It already exists and is called Android.
However, if the conversations are that private, I won't leave my freaking phone away from me. I keep it closer than my shirt. Why? Because I know I am dealing with private stuff, so I don't want to show off my phone till I'm done with it.
But again, that's not a solution.

Answer to OP- there is no fix. It is what MSFT has chosen by design. Glance and Go. You look at 5 words preview or name of who sent, if you want to open it, you bother taping and sliding. If not, you put your phone back.

Have you ever designed software? If the people who design, let lone code and test the software did this, nothing would ever be released. I have worked on over 20 software projects in the last 30 or so years. From writing the code all the way to project management. You simply cannot code an option for everything, especially with a very complicated system, and most certainly not at the beginning.

OP, if it bothers you enough post it to MS. If it gets enough votes they will address it.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see that option as well. Many times my friends have wanted to see my phone and play around with it. Hey WP8 is pretty sleek, I don't blame them ;). But in the back of my mind I am concerned abt a text coming through that they might be able to read, even if only a portion of it. iOS has a nice option to either disable the toast or to only have the toast show the name of the sender. That would be a nice feature in wp8.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Some of these fanboys and their replies.....smh

I agree. There have been times when my boyfriend would text me and the phone lit up and shows the message. And if you have nosey friends that can be a bit embarrassing.

Although if you are letting people check out your phone you can do what I do and just set kids corner up so the text don't come thru I don't think.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Some of you people are getting way too damn picky.

You say it needs a "fix" as if it's a problem. I've never had an issue with this either with my 920 or Focus (which had amazingly awesome viewing angles).

Solution: Don't use your phone, or don't respond while in such company. Simple.

peteski22

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea...because if you got a call the caller will also pop up on your screen. Keep your phone in your pocket for those "private" conversations.

When a person appears on screen for an incoming call, that's not the same as showing the content of a message.

If you couldn't stop the first few seconds of a phone call being on loudspeaker that would be the same type of issue; I may be wrong, but I think the original post was more concerned about the message content being shown than who had sent it.

I would agree that it's something which, if configurable people wouldn't have to worry about; isn't the lock screen supposed to keep people from your phone/data? I think showing message previews defeats the point of lock screen in that regard. I'd also agree that you can't customise every setting based on one person not being happy, but given the lean towards privacy (cookies warnings on websites, in-private browsing) this users issue is something I would have thought Microsoft would have provided the option for.

Hopefully constructive discussions will get noticed one day and not just be about people complaining/trolling.

Thanks guys,
Pete

ambivalent

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 920 Saturday and quickly learned that you can't turn off the text message preview. That is very annoying if you are having a private conversation. So every time I get a text whoever is around me see's who sent it and about the first 5 words. Does anyone know when this will be fixed. Very aggravated.

You could work your way around the problem by lengthening the sender's name. Personally, I added a long string of emojis. Might seem a bit of a hassle but it's worth it, I feel. I think it might work for numbers/contacts you don't have (like Facebook) too, just in case you're concerned about the security code. Just save their numbers for the first time and it would probably be safe to say that subsequent messages you receive from them will not show any preview. Do correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!

Last edited:

anon3230140

Banned
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why some of you are so against choice.. it baffles me. Having the option to turn it on or off is the best of both worlds. Making excuses for Microsoft just cos you wont accept another persons view is no way to improve your beloved platform.

On my BlackBerry 9860 (despite how majority of the world despise BB's nowaday's.. i still love them).. this option is available. Attached is a picture of it within the BeBuzz app. Can't see how the option to enable or disable a feature is so hard to do. I also develop applications at work using sql, vba and .Net so there's nothing complex about it. I for one like the fact that i can choose which apps show a toast or not. It's turned off for texts on my phone but allowed for emails cos texts are quite personal and would hate some random colleague at work seeing contents of a text from personal friends if i happen to leave my phone on the desk.

Attachments

• s13_01_08__12_02_52.jpg
    s13_01_08__12_02_52.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

slalom

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Perfect example....Using your phone for GPS in the car with a windshield mount, and the person in the passenger seat gets to read who and what everyone is texting me.

Should be optional.

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
They are working on a notification center. I hope that update will make it so toasts no longer appear above the lock screen.

Mark Rozanski

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Typical of many people today, it's not their responsibility to keep things secret. Someone always has to do it for them. Let's see OP, first set your phone to vibrate, then shirt pocket/pants pocket/jacket pocket/belt case. NOW you don't have a to waste a post complaining about something so nonsensical. There, someone ... ME ... has solved your "PROBLEM".

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Stop cheating on your significant other :)

As mentioned earlier with the GPS scenario... What if your WIFE is sending you questionable SMS's and are meant for YOUR EYES and not everyone in the car? Regardless of what it is, it is a private message and the option should be there.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
This is a common option on other OS, saying people shouldn't use their phone in public is not a solution.

Unfortunately for the die-hards around here, anything Microsoft deems goes. No notification center, despite many people wanting it? "OMG, WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?? LIVE TILES." Ignoring the fact that notification centers work, and work well on every other OS, whether it's WebOS, iOS, Android, etc. There seems to be this weird sense that customization is bad, because Android is bad, or something. It's bizarre.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss