Remember how some of us had a bunch of scratch issues around launch?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the people who ended up with a dozen or so scratches in the oleophobic layer on the glass, with no idea how they got there. Well I ended up replacing my phone for another just at the 14 day mark (Lucky me, I qualified for the free ear buds because of this), and my current Lumia 920 has shared a pocket with keys, been dropped on more than one occasion, and I have yet to get a single one of these thin layer scratches.

This makes me wonder if there was just an early batch of these where the oleophobic layer was defective on the gorilla glass.

Has anyone who purchased on in mid December on had any of these scratch issues?

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
^
0Eaca.gif

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
mine is the first aussie bunch and i don't have any problems with scratches on mine...in fact, earlier i had some battery problems but now i think it has improved to a point where i am not too fuss about it (hopefully it remains that way, certainly after a few charge cycles, my device doesn't get as hot as it did last time)

bayotte

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those who pampers his phone. Bought the expensive case and still managed to get 7 scratches. They almost seem to be surface like scratches. Purchased it on December 18th. Is Nokia rectifying the situation? I did send them feedback stating how I love the phone, OS and everything else about it. Hopefully they do something to help replace these poor quality screens. There's no way these where GG2. My previous phone had GG without the screen protector and used it for 3 years without the smallest scratch. What do you recommend I do? I'm in Montreal, Canada.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this is very improbable, but my theory is the Chinese facility that produces these phones for Nokia sourced cheap power cells and used non-GG screens to save money and now they're being caught.

Last edited:

fkiehner

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I also have just noticed fine scratches on my 920. Sort of pisses me off. Use Otter box case and still have them. GG ain't so good.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine was one of the first batches, as I purchased it the first weekend it came out in November in the US. I baby it and carry it in a soft pouch (as I did with my Samsung Focus). My screen is perfect without a hint of a scratch. I too wonder if Nokia has had some phones with bad glass.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought a black 920 on launch day, and exchanged it for a white one a few days later when the black one bricked on me. No scratches at all and I don't use a case or screen protector.

RTGOD

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I purchased mine mid November and I baby mine for the most part as well and mine has picked up a fine scratch or two. Very fine and only noticeable when the screen is off.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine has one ultra fine scratch which is amazing given the way I've babied the phone. As you say, only noticeable with screen off and holding at a particular angle.

Given the fact that mine also has an area over the speaker/FFC that looks as if it has no finish (i.e. it picks up grease there only), I'd say the phone most definitely has a coating on it.

Perhaps not all phones do - do others have the rectangular area around the speaker on phones that look scratch-able on the screen? (There are threads with pictures here somewhere)

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Purchased mine right before Christmas, few days after i got it i noticed a scratch/fracture when i looked at it a certain way. Since then, i've noticed more. Now, despite the fact of landscaping for a living, I have absolutely babied this phone and put it in 0 situations where it could get scratched so it's good to hear it isn't just me.

Thanks

-Doc

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on launch day, don't have any "protection" on it and my screen is still perfect. On the other hand the red back has enough little scratches and such you'd think I routinely keep nails and bits of glass in my pocket.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have some scratches too that I have no idea how they could've happened. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it

Mazinger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My screen is still flawless despite not having any protection on it but the back of my matte black 920 now has so many
faded spots like shiny areas where the matte has come off.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia could have really differentiated by keeping production in Europe and other countries, as well as keeping a lot of production in-house. It seems that moving manufacturing to China is having its challenges. I would totally believe that some unscrupulous folk at a factory would switch the glass and batteries .. maybe I've seen too many movies ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo