Is anybody's Lumia 920 not suffering from either a hardware or software issue?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
no issues, and I know for a fact they have had very low return rate. either every person with a problem posts on these forums, or half of these posts are 12 year old owners of other phones acting like morons.

I think its just high concentration on these forums. I owned a Lumia 800 before I got the 920 and can tell you the 920 does not live up to the 800 in build quality. The 800 was the cleanest, most solid built phone I've ever owned. It had a couple issues but nothing blatantly wrong like I have had with the several 920s I've gone through.

The flexing of the polycarbonate body and the dust under the FFC are inexcusable issues for a phone just a couple months old. These phones should rightfully be replaced by Nokia. I'm about to send my 3rd 920 back to Nokia. I'm a huge fan of WP and Nokia, but this falls launch event I was severely disappointed. If the 950 or whatever the call it comes out this fall and is significantly better in built quality, I will definitely be forking over the cash to upgrade.

Jay Lesnak

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No issues with my 920. Love the phone and OS. I've owned nearly every model of iPhone and an android device and my red Nokia Lumia 920 is my favorite of all.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Didn't read all that, but i've had four phones

1st phone - battery drain issues, could not determine what was draining it
2nd phone - no battery drain issues - did have sensor issue where screen goes black when calling. Had to blow into the speaker, fixed it after some huff and puffs
3rd phone- Battery drain issues, restarting issues, and bad connectivity. I believe the battery drained on this one due to the reception dying when i put the phone to sleep. This caused the battery drain on idle and accounts not syncing properly or consistently trying to sync. Since the phone was trying to get reception and trying to sync accounts while idle and struggling, the battery drained. When in use, the reception was fine

4th phone - just got last friday and works fine so far, no issues at all and hopefully none going forward.

Niece's phone - bricked after wireless charge - not able to use again
Roommates - didn't work out of the box

Parents - fine so far, but may be potential battery drain issues as well, i have to check for them. They are old.

Hopefully the next batch's will have all the issues fixed, but there is clearly an issue with these devices.

I've never had to do a warranty exchange for three iterations of iphones as opposed to doing a warranty exchange for a focus s, lumia 900 and on my 4th phone on my 920. I like the OS, but this is geting out of hand.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me what 'ceramic keys' you are referring to?

Regardless, do any smart phones not have at least some hardware or software issues? Every iPhone since launch has had some and every Android hand set has too, in one way or another. That's a fact.

The volume rocker / lock / camera keys and the camera strip on the back are all made from ceramic zirconium which are highly scratch-resistant compared to the scuff-prone chrome they used with the Lumia 800/900 and N9. And I do realize all smartphones have a tendency to have a number of isolated issues here and there. Like I said, my old E7 also suffered from restarts. But going through 2 Lumia 920's which both had several issues, I find this disheartening and it's hard to believe this is isolated judging from many others having had the same experiences.

I think its just high concentration on these forums. I owned a Lumia 800 before I got the 920 and can tell you the 920 does not live up to the 800 in build quality. The 800 was the cleanest, most solid built phone I've ever owned. It had a couple issues but nothing blatantly wrong like I have had with the several 920s I've gone through.

The flexing of the polycarbonate body and the dust under the FFC are inexcusable issues for a phone just a couple months old. These phones should rightfully be replaced by Nokia. I'm about to send my 3rd 920 back to Nokia. I'm a huge fan of WP and Nokia, but this falls launch event I was severely disappointed. If the 950 or whatever the call it comes out this fall and is significantly better in built quality, I will definitely be forking over the cash to upgrade.

I feel the same way. I still regard the N9 / Lumia 800 as the golden standard of build quality. Even the magnetic "door" that covers up the micro-USB port and the slide-out micro-SIM tray were genius design cues. The phone was completely seamless. The 900 was also just as solid but the exposed micro-USB port and the flat glass with the raised lip didn't give the same seamless, organic feeling of the 800/N9. Even so, I would take the 900's design overall over the 920 any day.

Mazinger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
No Battery and OS issues on my 920 so far which is good. I am however a victim of the Matte Black Fading issue...The back of my phone now has shiny smudges from the matte wearing off and it all started from day 1 of owning it just having it inside my jeans, when the back rubs against something the matte comes off. I was initially gutted as I expected the polycarbonate body to be tougher butgave up later on after reading here in the forums that it is a known problem for most matte black owners. I have now ordered a commuter case for it to prevent further wear on the back case.

I did try sending it back to Telstra after the second day of purchase but cosmetic deffects after 24 hours isn't covered :(

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
No Battery and OS issues on my 920 so far which is good. I am however a victim of the Matte Black Fading issue...The back of my phone now has shiny smudges from the matte wearing off and it all started from day 1 of owning it just having it inside my jeans, when the back rubs against something the matte comes off. I was initially gutted as I expected the polycarbonate body to be tougher butgave up later on after reading here in the forums that it is a known problem for most matte black owners. I have now ordered a commuter case for it to prevent further wear on the back case.

I did try sending it back to Telstra after the second day of purchase but cosmetic deffects after 24 hours isn't covered :(

Would you be able to provide pictures of that? I'm very interested to see what the shiny spots look like. I also read someone talk about them but I couldn't imagine it in my head. I used a matte cyan 900 for a month, unprotected and was fairly rough with it but the matte never had any signs of wearing. Conversely, the glossy white I sent out for repairs had micro "scuffs" on the back that are practically invisible unless under direct harsh light.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been perfect, I have a 'first batch' Cyan 920. There are definitely some legitimate issues that have been posted about, but also I think a little bit too much concern about reading into every little glitch. My iphone5 scratches easily and today I had to soft reset it because when I typed to try to unlock it, no letters would come up. The battery life is also erratic, but it really depends on what apps I was using that day too. I've had my iphone4 get so hot that it shut itself down due to thermal issues once, but never again. It's a computer. Certainly don't accept a crap phone, but some people need to accept that no technology is perfect.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
No major issues with mine, just a very minor creaking issue when pressing on certain spot... The phone's body is plastic (regardless of fancy names people use for it), so I was kinda expecting that ;-) Otherwise no issues with its display or front camera or battery or random reboots. I'm glad that I decided to get it and not the "mandatory" iPhone 5 (even though I have used all iPhone models since 3G and all of them been flawless), especially after reading the Apple's forums about the multiple battery life issues which Apple can't seem to fix but actually makes it worse (at least for some people) with each new update, not to mention how fragile its new thin aluminum body is (my friend replaced 2 of his iPhone 5's - one he accidentally bent himself, the other was slightly bent right out of the box) ;-)

Last edited:

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
No major issues with mine, just a very minor creaking issue when pressing on certain spot... The phone's body is plastic (regardless of fancy names people use for it), so I was kinda expecting that ;-) Otherwise no issues with its display or front camera or battery or random reboots. I'm glad that I decided to get it and not the "mandatory" iPhone 5 (even though I have used all iPhone models since 3G and all of them been flawless), especially after reading the Apple's forums about the multiple battery life issues which Apple can't seem to fix but actually makes it worse (at least for some people) with each new update, not to mention how fragile its new thin aluminum body is (my friend replaced 2 of his iPhone 5's - one he accidentally bent himself, the other was slightly bent right out of the box) ;-)

I can see where you're coming from if you've just switched to Nokia. Newer users will be more forgiving of the superficial defects, I mean really, what's a little creak and squeek on a plastic phone, it's to be expected of any manufacturer. But not so for Nokia, most of us long-time fans have stuck with Nokia even through the last years of Symbian 3 when the OS was severely incompetent mainly due to the fact that Nokia excelled in hardware. When most of my friends are sending off their iPhones for shattered glass or putting up with a cracked screen, my E7 lasted me a year and a half unprotected, scuff-free, scratch-free, squeek-free and the damn thing had a hinge mechanism utilized by the QWERTY keyboard! It was a tank. It would have survived a nuclear bombing.

And at least for me, that's the main reason I've stuck with Nokia through thick and thin, even through subpar OSes. Take that away and I have no reason to stick with Nokia, except maybe for my fierce brand loyalty, but that's just plain blind patronism.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Build 2012 L920 that I bought from someone on Craigslist. My only issue with the phone is poor battery life, but I feel if I flash Portico it may resolve that issue.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Build 2012 L920 that I bought from someone on Craigslist. My only issue with the phone is poor battery life, but I feel if I flash Portico it may resolve that issue.

Make sure your battery is fully charged when you flash OS. I don't know if that is what fixed my battery issues because I flashed pre Portico first time and post Portico second time. Portico only seems to fix random battery drains when I performed OTA update. I still think there is a problem with battery reporting software. It has made a huge difference with manual flash.

OpieMC

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I got so far was the dreaded battery drain issue, which was completely fixed by a hard reset (should have tried a soft reset first though, lol). I hope it stays that way.

I think a good portion of the issues have to do with the OS. HTC users are reporting issues that sound an awful lot like the problems we're having.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I can see where you're coming from if you've just switched to Nokia. Newer users will be more forgiving of the superficial defects, I mean really, what's a little creak and squeek on a plastic phone, it's to be expected of any manufacturer. But not so for Nokia, most of us long-time fans have stuck with Nokia even through the last years of Symbian 3 when the OS was severely incompetent mainly due to the fact that Nokia excelled in hardware. When most of my friends are sending off their iPhones for shattered glass or putting up with a cracked screen, my E7 lasted me a year and a half unprotected, scuff-free, scratch-free, squeek-free and the damn thing had a hinge mechanism utilized by the QWERTY keyboard! It was a tank. It would have survived a nuclear bombing.

And at least for me, that's the main reason I've stuck with Nokia through thick and thin, even through subpar OSes. Take that away and I have no reason to stick with Nokia, except maybe for my fierce brand loyalty, but that's just plain blind patronism.
I've actually used Nokia phones before iPhones, multiple models, and while in general they were very durable all of them had minor issues, including plastic creaks and such, and their displays were definitely NOT bullet-proof, at least in my personal experience :-\ On the other hand I never managed to break or severely scratch the displays on any of my iPhones (and I never used screen protectors for them). Just a matter of luck, I guess...

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The 920 personally has been a huge disappointment quality wise. I have had multiple BBs, iPhones and one Moto Razr Maxx as far as smartphones. Never returned one with any defects. Never had any issues with software either. I know WP8 is new software and it's MS so I expect bugs, but not like this. From my experience with 920, it doesn't appear to be OS. It seems to be more hardware and Phone side software issues. Nokia had better step it up next time or get out of the smartphone business. And if this is the QC that can be expected, they are already done. I'm no fan boy for any OS or product. I'm just looking for one that works.

JanLundDK

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Only have had my white 920 for a week, but no problems so far. Better batterylife than expected, no freeze or restarts.

Charging it overnight using the wireless charging plate, also no issues here.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The 920 personally has been a huge disappointment quality wise. I have had multiple BBs, iPhones and one Moto Razr Maxx as far as smartphones. Never returned one with any defects. Never had any issues with software either. I know WP8 is new software and it's MS so I expect bugs, but not like this. From my experience with 920, it doesn't appear to be OS. It seems to be more hardware and Phone side software issues. Nokia had better step it up next time or get out of the smartphone business. And if this is the QC that can be expected, they are already done. I'm no fan boy for any OS or product. I'm just looking for one that works.

I remember when the Nokia N8 was first released and the number of complaints of the N8 dying and not switching back on again. It turned out to be a manufacturing defect and was quickly put right. I also remember the iPhone antenna fault where the advise given out by Apple was "you're holding it wrong"! They then issued a rubber bumper as a fix. The point is, with all new products there may be defective units regardless of manufacturer but these are usually in the minority. We tend to think the problems are widespread because internet forums are full of complaints rather than compliments.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 920 is issue free, don't want to jinx it I guess but it is true I am utterly satisfied.

Got a white one off contract through amazon wireless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo