Need Data Sense or Counters or something to keep track of data

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Grrr! For the second month in a row since getting the 920, I'm looking at data overages (My plan is only 200 MB because I'm always around wifi). I went YEARS before without ever going over. I would have thought some app I installed was pulling data in the background but that is not the case.

My phone is SENDING and average of 10 MB per day. WTF? I'm connected to wifi 98% of the time and since installing the Portico update, I've enabled WIFI to stay alive. In an effort to save battery, I've had all the feedback and usage features turned off since day one. I called AT&T and they were no help. All they did was suggest apps that aren't available for WP.

I really feel that since AT&T provides the phone, they should provide some tools or app to track data - if for no other reason than debugging purposes. Who should I be more upset at here? AT&T for not supporting/allowing the Microsoft Data Sense app or Nokia for not updating their Counters app for WP8 and the new screen res of the 920?

Do any of the rest of you know of a way to track down data usage?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Since you know this is an issue and you have a low limit, I suggest the following options.

1. myAT&T app, check it daily/weekly
  2. Go to the phone app daily/weekly, dial *3282# to get a text of your data use for your billing cycle.
  3. AT&T can send data usage warning notifications when you consume ~65% of your data allotment. Contact them and set it up if it is not currently.
  4. Try to narrow down the culprits by not using a certain app for a day and see how your usage is impacted.

What else do you need? AT&T provides all you need to monitor your activity. Data Sense won't do much more to help you monitor your usage...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Grrr! For the second month in a row since getting the 920, I'm looking at data overages (My plan is only 200 MB because I'm always around wifi). I went YEARS before without ever going over. I would have thought some app I installed was pulling data in the background but that is not the case.

My phone is SENDING and average of 10 MB per day. WTF? I'm connected to wifi 98% of the time and since installing the Portico update, I've enabled WIFI to stay alive. In an effort to save battery, I've had all the feedback and usage features turned off since day one. I called AT&T and they were no help. All they did was suggest apps that aren't available for WP.

I really feel that since AT&T provides the phone, they should provide some tools or app to track data - if for no other reason than debugging purposes. Who should I be more upset at here? AT&T for not supporting/allowing the Microsoft Data Sense app or Nokia for not updating their Counters app for WP8 and the new screen res of the 920?

Do any of the rest of you know of a way to track down data usage?

Counters is currently exclusive to Verizon but will eventually be for all Lumias and maybe all WP devices. Until then as has been mentioned the my ATT app is available in the Store and the ATT Collection and the Nokia Express is available.along with the text alert option. Maybe you could use tell me to send a text message to query the data usage info!

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you know this is an issue and you have a low limit, I suggest the following options.

1. myAT&T app, check it daily/weekly
  2. Go to the phone app daily/weekly, dial *3282# to get a text of your data use for your billing cycle.
  3. AT&T can send data usage warning notifications when you consume ~65% of your data allotment. Contact them and set it up if it is not currently.
  4. Try to narrow down the culprits by not using a certain app for a day and see how your usage is impacted.

What else do you need? AT&T provides all you need to monitor your activity. Data Sense won't do much more to help you monitor your usage...

Thanks for the suggestions but none of those solutions will tell me which app is consuming data. I find it unacceptable for AT&T to tell my that my phone is consuming bandwidth but they can't tell me why, when, or anything else. They simply claim that their system polls usage data once a day and my phone is sending data.

Like I said before, I spend the VAST majority of my time where wifi is available. I have the phone set to maintain wifi connections even while locked. There should be no reason for my phone to be using any data really. I need a breakdown of the apps installed and what they are doing. The fact that AT&T refuses to support Data Sense leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I think they are purposely not allowing it so they can make money on overages.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My previous phone was an iPhone 4. I went 5 years without ever going over 200 MB. When I installed iOS6 on it last Oct, I got bit by the wifi bug which keep it from connecting to wifi so my data usage spiked and I had to work with Apple and ATT to get a credit. Then, in Nov, I get the 920 and since then, my data usage has been almost double what I used before...and this with a phone that has fewer apps and every non essential service turned off in order to save battery.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions but none of those solutions will tell me which app is consuming data. I find it unacceptable for AT&T to tell my that my phone is consuming bandwidth but they can't tell me why, when, or anything else. They simply claim that their system polls usage data once a day and my phone is sending data.

Like I said before, I spend the VAST majority of my time where wifi is available. I have the phone set to maintain wifi connections even while locked. There should be no reason for my phone to be using any data really. I need a breakdown of the apps installed and what they are doing. The fact that AT&T refuses to support Data Sense leaves a sour taste in my mouth because I think they are purposely not allowing it so they can make money on overages.
Data Sense does not do that...it only uses the data from the same sources I mentioned above to let you know where you stand with respect to your limits. It also will limit background tasks as you approach your limit.

You need to do some self monitoring to narrow it down. I found mine was related to streaming via BT headphones causing wifi not to resume when I resumed play via the headphone controls prior to Portico. Now my usage is back to normal, though I have a 2GB limit.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You should have access to the myAT&T app. It shows voice/txt/data usage. You can also find the same info on AT&T's account page.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
What apps do you use on a daily basis? What apps do you use while out an about while not on wifi? Perhaps some are known data hogs...

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am on wifi most of the time, and I hardly ever go over 100mg. So far this month, with almost half of the month gone, I have only used 19mg. I turn off cellular data when I am on wifi to make sure not cellular data is used. I have a tile on my home screen to easily access the wifi and cellular data setting screens (free apps to get connect tiles are available). I also block background tasks blocked from settings for all of the apps I feel I do not need to have running in the background (which is most of them). You can try doing one or both of those. The most data I have ever used in almost 3 years (with Focus and now Lumia 920) is about 125mg since I am on wifi most of the time.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Again. I don't get it. I'm in a third world country. I can just dial *120*4# on my phone and it says you have XXXXMB remaining.

Granted I'm on a 15GB so it's going to take a lot to go over but I mean come on... Doesn't AT&T have something like this?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Again. I don't get it. I'm in a third world country. I can just dial *120*4# on my phone and it says you have XXXXMB remaining.

Granted I'm on a 15GB so it's going to take a lot to go over but I mean come on... Doesn't AT&T have something like this?
Indicated in the second response.

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just a shot in the dark with a few things to check...
Make sure your backup settings are turned off or at least have photos set to wifi only.
Under application settings for Music+videos, turn off Xbox Music collection.
Turn off phone update checking and do it manually (I doubt that's doing it but wth)

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well OP is just being ridiculous and lazy.

Seems like he wants an app that that will say:

-Facebook Used 3mb
-Netflix used 10mb
-Metrotrube used 5mb.

lol.

First world problems.

How is that being lazy?? What good is it to get a text that says you've used 95% of your data plan? Do I just turn off the phone at that point and not use it? How are you guys not understanding the problem? How do we pinpoint what apps are using the data? What are they doing? Is some app, that has no business transfering any data, suddenly uploading your address book? Why the heck is my phone SENDING tons of data every day while connected to wifi???

Other OS's have apps that do this very thing. I know I can check the ATT app or dial a number or recieve a text alert when I'm nearing my limit. What that doesn't tell me is WHAT app is sucking all the bandwidth.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How is that being lazy?? What good is it to get a text that says you've used 95% of your data plan? Do I just turn off the phone at that point and not use it? How are you guys not understanding the problem? How do we pinpoint what apps are using the data? What are they doing? Is some app, that has no business transfering any data, suddenly uploading your address book? Why the heck is my phone SENDING tons of data every day while connected to wifi???

Other OS's have apps that do this very thing. I know I can check the ATT app or dial a number or recieve a text alert when I'm nearing my limit. What that doesn't tell me is WHAT app is sucking all the bandwidth.

Unfortunately at the moment I think we have to wait for Data Sense to be available for our phones before we will be able to do what you are talking about. It appears to have exactly what you want, we just have to hang on till it is available for us.

Last edited:

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well, there isn't anything, so with such a meager limit, how about you figure out what is using your data with some trials. Uninstall 1 app one day, check usage, reinstall app, uninstall another, monitor usage, rinse repeat until you figure out the solution for your problem that has no app like you are wanting. Again, Data Sense does not do what you are asking from what I have seen...

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Steve, I don't know if this helps you but there is an app called Toggle. You can pin connections to the start screen to cellular data and WiFi to turn them on and off. You can force cellular data off and ensure only WiFi gets through. A few seconds to turn it on again. Supports voice commands also.

Sorry to hear about the data. I have more data but running into the same problem as you have. Does anyone have a list of known apps that pull extra data due to bugs?

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
My issue was with Battery Saver. It would automattically turn on when my battery was at 30% which would turn off my Wi-fi as well- without me knowing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786