Out of the box - Battery

SuperSAT

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have read conflicting views regarding the battery. When getting it out of the box, should it be left to drain out first then start the charge cycles to maximise battery life or should this be done straight away?

Also where does a reset fit into all of this?

What is best practise?

Thanks!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what is best practice, but it seems people say to drain it.

I dont do it, i just use it normally out of the box. The last phone which is the 4th 920 i've gotten, i ddint drain, i just used it out of the box from 4pm to 12am with 50% left in battery life left, put it on the charger went to bed with about 10%, haven't had any battery issues.

SuperSAT

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the input.

Did you use the same strategy for the other 3? Also what problems did you have with the previous phones?

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Try seeing what your batter gives you for the first week or two. If you have certain background tasks enabled, note how much your battery drains when it's on idle. Note if there's a difference in a low LTE signal area vs high. After you're done getting an idea, then you can make your decision.

I always have 5 background tasks enabled, push notifications from FB and Twitter. Email comes in every 15 minutes. I have 3 bars of LTE at work. Battery would drain 3-4% every hour on idle. The battery surprisingly would get better after a reboot after every charge. For example, 60% after 10 hours of idle draining. Reboot it, and then it's at 90%. If that happens to you, then your battery needs to be calibrated.

I drained my battery after the initial reboot to give it max life. Used it here and there. After charging it back up to 100%, my idle drain is 1% per hour, and standby time went from 2 days to 5 days. The only thing left to test is how it will work after I finish charging it for the next day.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the input.

Did you use the same strategy for the other 3? Also what problems did you have with the previous phones?

yes, 1st and 3rd phones didnt matter, the battery would drain regardless. So i dled the battery drainer app, drained it that way and recharged, didn't do anything. The battery still sucked, there was a draining issue for the 1st one and a draining, rebooting issue with the 3rd one

My 2nd phone, worked fine out the box as well. I dont do the drain normally for any of my phones, i only did it for the 1st and 3rd because people said to and didnt see a difference. I gave the phone to my niece.

This goes for all the phoens i've owned, i never drained and recharged fully.. i used out of the box and never had an issue with battery except for the 1st and 3rd 920s.

Previous phones - iphone 3gs, 4, focus s, lumia 900, galaxy s3, and now 920.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You do not need to drain a Li-ion battery, whatever people say here.

However it won't harm things when you do drain the whole battery daily as you might find you do, depending on the apps you use.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Before you waste your time setting up phone perform factory reset with full charge and perform all updates. It is the only thing that worked for mine. I think it was calibration issue and this seemed to fix issue with mine.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I didn't drain mine first time. In fact, I don't think I've drained it yet, and I get great battery life. Listen to music all day, push email (was all the time, but I toned it back to once an hour because I got tired of being notified all the time), Facebook, Twitter, push weather, browse forums, read news, browse the net (mainly my deviantart), and some games at lunch. GPS on all the time, but NFC turned off. I also take a TON of pics, Use tethering every now and again (usually at lunch for my tablet so I can access office blocked sites on a big screen). With this use, I take my phone off the charger just before 0700 and usually still have somewhere around 30-40% when I plug in at 2300 in the evening. With my HTC One X, usage like this would kill my battery by bedtime.

SuperSAT

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again.

Mine usually lasts a day with low/medium use. That is without a reset....It hasn't improved majorly. So I am tempted to reset...

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

After Portico update I must say, that phone seems to be a bit better on the battery, when it is in use.
So wait for the update patiently and hopefully your problems will be resolved.

Keep in mind, that after the update I have done a hard reset, a good thing to try if you have a problem with battery.

In general, number 1 enemy of battery is excessive drain/heat. This means, that all the demanding games, heavy on the battery applications, will kill the battery over time and I don't mean just the fact, that they will suck the juice, they will literally strain the battery.

I don't play demanding games on the phone because I don't need to, but whenever I am using sat nav or play Wordament, I usually do it when phone is charging, so that it uses the inlet power instead of battery.

This is my number one rule and it always let batteries on my phones to last very long, on i9100, i9000, i8900 and older phones :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon