Received my 4th L920 from Nokia yay again again again & again

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, if this one has battery problems, would you consider running some benchmarks to test whether it is a hardware or a software problem. I've been harping to people that random battery drain is not a hardware problem and will not be fixed by exchanging the phone and your case could be a good test.

download the app, "WPbench" available here: WP Bench | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) when you have time to kill and run the battery test. This strains the CPU to max in order to drain the battery as quickly as possible. Since the CPU should already be at max capacity, any other program causing battery drain should not make any difference. Most people see times around 2 hours or so.

If the battery lasts 2 hours then any problems are software related and won't be fixed by exchanging the hardware. My pet theory is a rouge API that continues after the app that spawned it has been shutdown which is utilized by multiple apps (hence the many skype/whatapps/nokia drive/nokia trailers killed my battery threads). If its a rouge API, a simple reboot (not reset) should be enough to clear it.

Also, make sure to download and app like battery status http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/battery-status/e02e3a68-beba-493f-b000-e6e95281b444. This one shows the time remaining on even the smallest tile. If time remaining is greater than a day for a reasonable charged phone then there is no battery drain. If it drops to like 8 hours(with 90-100% battery left) once you've shut down apps and have allowed the program 10-20 minutes to requery battery draw levels, it may be time for a reset.

I really wish we had access to diagnostics like on windows phone 7 and 7.5. One of the options allowed you to see the actual current of the battery in realtime. It would be helpful in times like this. Here's what it looked like on my lumia 900.
View attachment 26609
I did all of that with my first 2. The battery drained before 1 hr on full charge . My #3 lasted 2:13 before portico/nokia updates. That's when it started locking up and getting battery drain .#4 is on my desk in the wrapper. I haven't srt it up due to my work schedule

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my 4th phone for over a week now and all I can say is that this is the last Nokia phone I will ever buy. #4 is heating up from just having the screen on, there light leaking through the left corner between the case and the screen about 1/2 inch of light which is bright enough to see it leaking through in a room with lights on, and the battery is ok unless I do anything. Standby is wonderful but once that CPU starts clocking the phone gets hot and the battery melts away. I'm done. Once the new crop of phone get released im jumping ship to either a better Samsung phone or an android . My 3month experience with Nokia has ruined wp8 for me so flame me all you want but I did my job and gave them 4tries. I'm not going for #5
Also sometimes the volume buttons dont work

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering ... my last 3 Nokia phones - C5-01, N9 and Lumia 920 (portico) - all works well and none of them has ever visited any service center ... well, C5-01 is an oldest one and it does not look great any longer after spending a lot of time in my pocket with my keys ... I am very happy with my current red Lumia 920, specially its high quality videos with great voice and that great display too (it is good even in a bright sun light) ... and photos are great too, my best cam for low light photos, but also for the sun light and back light photos (when there is strong light behind the subject) ... so short summary, my next phone will be Lumia again, with WP8 - hope that it will be with a bigger sensor and maybe with Xenon flash ... and a step better Windows too ... :)

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the l920 because I fell in love with the cyan 900. But 4 phones since launch and everyone has some issue is pathetic. The light leaking through the side of the phone isn't causing an issue with the phone itself it is annoying and if I want to resell it at some time im sure I will lose money over it. I'm just disappointed with the whole situation right now. My last 2 phones came directly from Nokia and they are brand new phones. How do you ship someone phones that are damaged? .

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol My bro said the same thing.. He's on his second white 920 . The only phones I've ever had any luck with were Motorola and Samsung. I remember when the 3gs was released I had 3 in 1 month. Battery,digitizer, and finally a good one. Both were damaged right out of box 1 in the att store

FlorentGj

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just a question- I'm terrible at complaining and feel like I never have a chance at getting the big companies to care about the little guy.
I have a black L920 that has a lot of dust built up over the front-facing camera. How do I go about getting a replacement for this thing?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Going by the history of phones in one of your post, are you sure you don't have an OCD?
or
just terrible luck with any smartphone you put your hand on?

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I had four different L920's before I finally gave up. The quality control on this phone is nothing short of brutal. And I'm waiting on someone to say that my experience doesn't speak for everybody. Well, that's true, but I live with me and if I had four phones that all had a fatal flaw, then I can safely say that, in my world, the quality control of the L920 is brutal. If you can get one that works, it's a nice phone though!

Have to agree here. I strongly recommend WP8 to everyone but I will not recommend the Lumia 920 until Nokia figures out their manufacturing processes. They are obviously heavily cutting corners here. My wife and I have gone through 4 devices and soon to be 6.

Wife's first phone - Top of the phone was loose with a large gap above the screen
My first phone - Proximity sensor crapped out, phone turned off and locked up when I would initiate a call
Wife's second phone - Constant clicking and creaking in the bottom right of the phone, camera button is loose.
My second phone - Constant clicking and creaking above the power button, power button is loose.

Had to get through to escalated customer support for the second set of replacements. My case is still open, trying to see if they will give me a new yellow lumia coming soon to rogers for my replacement.

The quality control is terrible. Escalated customer support told me they are getting a large amount of complaints about creaking/clicking. I love MS and appreciate Nokia's industrial design but Nokia is sure not making any money off me.

Oh and I just found a mysterious scratch BENEATH my invisible shield screen protector. When I put it on the screen was flawless, out of the box... still pondering what the **** happened here....

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I received my 4th cyan L920 (3RD replacement) today and I can't wait to start setting up my apps again :(. Nokia has great customer support and I applaud them for doing what they can to help a customer out.
Emailing Stephen Elop with each phones issue (battery) resulted in a new phone being sent out each time.
I said that #3 was nokias final shot at winning my love but I gave in and gave them 4th so here we go . If #4 has any issue that prevents me from enjoying/using my device to its fullest then its going to eBay. What are L920s going for on eBay anyway?
I will update once I play with the new phone for a few days.

What is his email address?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I got swaps. I didn't use a warranty . They just sent me brand new phones and I sent my clunkers to them. I received my new phones from Nokia in about 3 days

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Also I restored my phone and now I have 22 apps trying to download but won't. I get a 8000ffff error ?

When this happens, you can LONG press on these to delete them from the download list. I think they are OS updates that will get applied automatically later or are already applied.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I knew about deleting them I just didn't know what apps they were for. So I went through the market place and noticed all of my Nokia apps and a few others said update on their app page so I just updated them and now I'm down to like 5 or so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720