Weird that battery drains when on high brightness

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Before you go "doy, of course the battery drain is more with higher brightness".

What I did was I left my phone untouched for 30 minutes on medium brightness and put my phone on idle and my battery didn't move. I put my brightness to high and backed out and put my phone on idle right away, left for 30 minutes and it went down 4 %. So i changed it back to medium and left it for 30 minutes or more while i ate dinner, drained nothing.

Why would high brightness cause drain when the phone is on idle??

Odd.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
speaking of brightness, when you turn off automatic brightness and set your brightness to low, then restart your phone. does your phone come back on with high brightness? mine seems to do this. i wonder what makin it do that? in the settings it says it's set to low but it's clearly high. changing the setting from low to high then back to low changes the brightness to low.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I hate these batteries! Using medium brightness right now. I dropped 10 % in 5 minutes just browsing these forums.
While there are things I love about this phone, others such as having to keep a charger handy if I even think about using my phone is increasing my irritation for it.
Even on medium brightness, the phone gets pretty warm on the back.

If its this bad now, what's it going to be like in a year? Not like I can replace the battery.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I get four hours usage maximum from mine. After installing battery widget it's astonishing how fast the battery drains, it's almost a vertical line on the graph.
I'm not sure what you are doing for those 4 hours, but the phone has about 6 hours of video playback, or 10 hours of talk time, or about 6 hours of web surfing, or 55 hours of music playback. That is in in ideal conditions. If you are doing this while traveling and it is swapping towers, or you also have lots of email and texting also going on the battery will drop fast. I could probably purposefully kill my battery in 4 hours (although I think it would be hard). After a full day yesterday (off charger at 0600, back on at midnight) I was at 48%, that is with 3 email accounts on push, BT on, WiFi on, Automatic brightness, about 1.5 hours of phone calls, lots of texting/kik, and general checking and responding to email all while in a poor coverage area. The biggest drains I have found on my phone are runaway background tasks, specifically ones that use location services. I had 3 days in a row where I was plugging in at 10-20% at 7:00pm and went to background tasks and found that Halo Waypoint (recently installed) was allowed to run in the background. Blocked that and back to normal.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The biggest drains I've found are navigation apps. After that is pretty much just using the phone, no matter what you're using it for. Shame that some of us basically have to leave our phones alone or have a charger on hand all the time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans