Finally got my Lumia 920, have few queries

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I finally got my Lumia 920, I was waiting since the announcement. Can't be more excited than this. Mine is a white glossy handset. The dealer didn't have a case and a screenguard so temporarily they fitted a screenguard belonging to GS2 which still covers around 90% screen. My existing Lumia 900 will be gifted to my dad. Despite porting for Windows 7.5 to 8 where I find 80% things familier, I have few queries.

1) Since Steve Elop said that all the new devices will have the latest version Peurto Rico. When I checked mine in about, no where firmware name was mentioned. So is mine a Peurto Rico update? The firmware / OS Version # is 8.0.10211.204.

2) I want to synchronize, music and ringtones, but Zune is unable to detect my new device. However when I connect my PC does show some device conneceted and loads the drivers. Does Microsoft provide some other software instead of ZUNE for Lumia 920?

3) People say that Lumia 920 has slightly better battery life. I despite enabling battery saver last night I recharged 99 and even with idle usuage, within 4 hours 20% battery is gone. How can I further optimize the battery?

Yes I did a factory reset before using all the things. So most of the people who faced battery issue resolved it by resetting it. So in my case I also should'n't face any battery issue. Do I need battery conditioning?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
1) 8.0.10211.204 is the Portico update, you should be good.

2) You can't use the Zune software anymore with Windows Phone 8 (unfortunately). If you just want to sync up Music and Ringtones I'd recommend using the Windows Phone desktop app. It's nowhere near as full featured or useful as the Zune desktop software, but it's gotten slightly less bad with the "preview 2" version. Assuming your Windows libraries are setup properly, it should be able to sync.

3) So after 4 hours, you have 80% battery left? That doesn't sound bad to me.

bovcrx

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Not at all

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Not at all

1) 8.0.10211.204 is the Portico update, you should be good.

2) You can't use the Zune software anymore with Windows Phone 8 (unfortunately). If you just want to sync up Music and Ringtones I'd recommend using the Windows Phone desktop app. It's nowhere near as full featured or useful as the Zune desktop software, but it's gotten slightly less bad with the "preview 2" version. Assuming your Windows libraries are setup properly, it should be able to sync.

Thank you so much. I can directly access it in Windows Explorer just like Nokia PC Suit. Zune was a crap, with too many limitations with this is a good move by Microsoft.

For settings MP3 files as ringtones, is ther still this limitation in which the size should be 40 sec in with file size less than 1MB?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Not at all

I know it doesn't sound that bad if your usuage is average. Take it this way my Lumia 900's battery happened to last for more than 2 days. Apart from using battery saver I always keep

1) Wifi
2) Buletooth
3) Data Network and
4) Location

turned off. I turn them on only when I need them. So lets say 4 hours 20% gone so 20 hours 100% drain. So when Lumia 900 lasts for more than 2 days with average usuage, Lumia 920 with slightly more battery last should last slightly longer.

J Hisham

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
OK. I thought that 920 has more battery life (apart from just more capacity) because numerous people hav stated that.

Since your phone is new, give the battery a few recharge cycles to hit it's potential. Mine lasts for about 15 hours on moderate to heavy usage, which to be honest i think is not bad at all (and that's with WiFi, BT, Data & Location turned on). So in your case with everything turned off, theoretically the battery should last longer.
If you still feel your battery is not at it's peak performance, you can try a few stuff which have helped others in getting better battery life:

1. Let it charge to a 100% and drain the battery until the phone turns off. Recharge it back to 100% and restart the phone.
2. Go to settings>applications>background tasks. Block Nokia Drive+ from running in the background. This would significantly improve battery life.
3. Make sure to exit any apps you've opened by pressing the back button until it goes back to the start screen. Alternatively, you can check what apps are still running in the background by pressing and holding the back button. Then you can tap any open programs and press the back button again to exit the app.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes in a few days.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much. I can directly access it in Windows Explorer just like Nokia PC Suit. Zune was a crap, with too many limitations with this is a good move by Microsoft.

For settings MP3 files as ringtones, is ther still this limitation in which the size should be 40 sec in with file size less than 1MB?

You can drag and drop full sized MP3's straight to the Ringtone folder via Windows Explorer. There is no 40 second time limit.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
OK. I thought that 920 has more battery life (apart from just more capacity) because numerous people hav stated that.

It can, often, if you run newer (WP8) apps that are well written to behave when in the background, or you manage which apps run in the background. There still are times where WP8 will get into high power drain states, even after the latest firmware update. But generally you will get at least a full 16 hour day of decent use, or 4-6 hours of continuous high-drain use (streaming netflix, for example, or playing games) per charge. And possibly two days of very light/standby use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa