Does using Wireless charging make a difference at all?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Now usually I only charge my phone at night while I am sleeping, so all I do is plug in the phone and lay it next to me.
You charge it at night?
Well, there are some benefits:
1. Since batteries degrade if you leave them charging at 100% for too long, the slower charging speed is a big plus.
2. You charge it at night? Well, you need less light to place a phone on something than to hook it up to a microUSB connector.
3. Well, there are specific accesories that have wireless charging built in.

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The fact that doesn't use any power it makes huge difference. And therefore I will buy mine. I also use USB but plugging and unplugging will eventually do more damage. So for all the times that i don't use a usb cable I will charge my Lumia 920 with the wireless charger.

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, in terms of simplicity it makes a difference. I have one at home and one at work. It uses no power even if it is plugged in until the phone is charging. The battery is consistently topped off and I never bother about the battery indicator on the phone. Also allows me to do other things easily by just placing the phone on the pad and having it charge since it's not doing anything while I am doing other things or sleeping.

A bit off topic (sorry) but how do you keep the charger safe at work? Theft might be an issue..

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not got mine yet, but eager to try it. I have to say, I'm not expecting it to be a game changer. We will see.

Anyone know if I can cover it in something? I was considering making my own pillow and considered incorporating the charger in to it. The fact that the phone was made in some revolutionary new Teflon means I want to get some material on the pad that adds a little friction.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I love the idea of a wireless charger, but my battery doesn't seem to last as long than with the cable charger. Also with my phone the longer I charge it the more life I get out of it. Which sucks.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I love the idea of a wireless charger, but my battery doesn't seem to last as long than with the cable charger. Also with my phone the longer I charge it the more life I get out of it. Which sucks.
im talking like 8 -10 hours, all night to get a days worth if lucky of charge.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am quite happy with my wireless charger. I use the corded one at night when I am sleeping, but keep the wireless in the living room so that I can just set the phone on it when I come home. That way, I always have a highly charged phone, which is nice. I would not classify it as a must have or a make or break feature, but it is one which I appreciate, for whatever that is worth.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if I can cover it in something? I was considering making my own pillow and considered incorporating the charger in to it. The fact that the phone was made in some revolutionary new Teflon means I want to get some material on the pad that adds a little friction.

You can cover it with something but the one that came with my 920 has a rubber ring around the center which the phone sits on. It does not slide off even if the charging pad is at a slight angle. The bottom of the charging pad also has rubber pads.

Remember, however, that the further away the phone is from the pad the lower the charging efficiency is. I don't know how much but it does go down with increased distance.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I like the wireless, since my better half is usually sleeping and its a pain trying to plug into USB in the dark
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Haha, exactly what I was going through. And that damn USB is needed to insert right way also, real pain.

Now I have wireless stand at home side my bed, very convenient and phone is always with full battery in mornings (because with wire charger you sometimes just forget to insert the cord). And also you have night clock there. At work I have Fatboy. So basically these almost solve the whole "smart phone has short battery life" -issue. Only thing that is still missing is wireless charger to put in my car (for navigation).

Andi_N

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Do your Lumias get warmer when wirelessly charging than wired? I saw some posts here that report such incidents. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if wirelessly charging actually makes the phone hotter, would it make the battery degrade faster? Li-Ion batteries degrade under heat right?

I really want a wireless charger because it will be so much convenient for me especially in the office. But this "battery heating" thing is the only thing pulling me back, as the L920s battery is non-removable.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Mine does get warmer when using wireless charger, but I'm not sure if the temperature rise comes from battery itself and not from induction coils inside the phone... Either way, I'm sure Nokia is aware of the temperature increase and has implemented some kind of thermal regulation (such as decreasing the charging current when the temperature starts to rise to dangerous levels) to prevent the shortening of battery's life due to high temperature... I wouldn't worry about it especially if you can simply get a new one at "discount" at the end of your contract or can purchase extra warranty.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Do your Lumias get warmer when wirelessly charging than wired? I saw some posts here that report such incidents. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if wirelessly charging actually makes the phone hotter, would it make the battery degrade faster? Li-Ion batteries degrade under heat right?

Yes, yes, and yes. I posted the temperatures I was seeing in a thread somewhere....Here it is: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ur-device-charging-overnight.html#post1836424

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It sounds stupid, but wireless charging turns out to be one of the best convenience features of the 920. I won't get another device without it. With my old phone, I put the charge cable under a weight to keep it from falling behind the desk and it does fall off sometimes. Maybe you could get clips or what not but who cares now. With the wireless, just set and forget. But yeah, don't overdo it. It does get warm. Too bad the AT&T 8X didn't have it because of carrier dealings.

hanmilo90

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
many customers confused when i told them they have to plug in the outlet to charging the pad , but no need of cable between phone and the pad , it seems like no difference , i maby conclude
1 you do not have to plug and unplug everytime you charge you phone
2 no need for getting suitable coneector cable when you lost your old one

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I really want a wireless charger because it will be so much convenient for me especially in the office. But this "battery heating" thing is the only thing pulling me back, as the L920s battery is non-removable.

If you are worried about high temperatures you can use the wireless charging plate/stand/pillow with a timer to only allow it to charge certain hours of the day/night.

I use mine at home and have it charge for x4 hours (03.00-07.00) at night. It is always at 100% at 07.00 when I leave home.

Wireless charging is a very neat feature and I personally didn't appreciate it until I actually started using it, no more fiddling with cables as with the godphone and the only thing I need to do is literally place it on the plate when I come home.

liamjanin

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The issue with the charger for me is that, say your phone is on low battery, you can't use it while it's charging unless you stand over the charger. Can't make calls or play games. Please tell me the charging pad is connected to the wall via micro USB? so if you needed to you could unplug the charging pad and plug your phone straight in so you can charge while using it.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Works like a charm! Really convenient on my nightstand, since I usually charge the phone when I sleep. Just feels really nice when you don't have to plug it in and out all the time. If a call comes and my battery is low while charging, I use the speaker. Don't really see a problem here, if you got a problem with wireless charging you use the regular charger. Not EVERYTHING in this world is a problem :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett