Be careful with the new WiFi always on feature!

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am seeing couple of issues:

If you leave the home wifi area, phone sometimes gets confused and you don't have data access at all even if there is a strong 3G or LTE. If you then turn off WiFi, data connection starts working again. Are we supposed to turn off WiFi manually in this situation?

Along this line, phone sometimes uses cellular data even though WiFi connection is shown at the top of screen. This can be a very costly bug if you are on a limited data plan. Just this morning I was at home and noticed very slow to no data speed with WiFi enabled. I figured WiFi was just busy with other computers and started to download an app. It took a while for download to get started, but when it did, it showed I was using cellular data! WTH? Of course once you start an app download, you can't stop it. Thank god it wasn't one of those 200MB games, I would have consumed my 300MB monthly quota right there.

Anyone else with similar experience?

EDIT: The second issue where it uses cellular instead of WiFi *may* be due to my new router I got yesterday. My laptops are having some trouble connecting this morning.

Last edited:

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed that on my 920. I've noticed other things like high battery drain after opening and then closing some apps and sometimes live tiles not updating. A soft restart fixes it, however. Do you have the latest updates installed?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have all the updates including Portico.

More on the issues..in the first case, it seems like phone was looking for a known WiFi access point indefinitely. It should have given up and switch to cellular network after a reasonable period, say 15 seconds? The second case is more serious one. It should have either used the WiFi or don't show that WiFi is connected. Showing WiFi is connected and then using cellular connection is bad.

For now I will keep the always on feature disabled. It's not worth the hassle IMO.

tibere86

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the phone using cellular data with an active wifi connection. Usually cycling wifi off and on rectified the issue. Hope Microsoft fix these small issues. It would also help if they included the feature that Android + iOS have which is when an active wifi connection is present, the phone hides the cellular data icon so the user knows none is being used.

johnfishcurtis

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have not noticed this problem with WiFi, however, I will be monitoring now.

As for updates, not had an update to the phone (apart from apps) since I got it.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have not noticed this problem with WiFi, however, I will be monitoring now.

As for updates, not had an update to the phone (apart from apps) since I got it.

Then you don't have the always on WiFi option yet. Issues I mentioned above happened for me only when the option is enabled. It seems like the phone gets into a little confused state when you leave the wifi area with the option enabled. And sometimes it doesn't seem to fully recover even if you come back to the WiFi area.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The second issue where it uses cellular instead of WiFi *may* be due to my new router I got yesterday. My laptops are having some trouble connecting this morning.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Since updating to Portico my practice has been to connect to WiFi when I'm at home and turn off the mobile data connection.I have noticed that if I leave home and don't turn the WiFi off and the mobile data back on, but go somewhere else where I can connect to WiFi (e.g. my dad's house), the phone won't search for a new WiFi network and connect whilst in standby mode.I think that this is a feature not a bug.God blessAndrew

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can actually cancel a downloading app.. Go to the store, it should say 1 download or something, click it, hold the app to cancel it.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no satisfying people. Microsoft fixes the WiFi "not always connecting" and then people complain their data cap drains. I swear some people exist just to trash Windows Phone platform.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
There is no satisfying people. Microsoft fixes the WiFi "not always connecting" and then people complain their data cap drains. I swear some people exist just to trash Windows Phone platform.

If it was fixed, data wouldn't drain. I noticed my lumia still seems to put wifi to sleep, I get a sudden surge of emails when I unlock it even though wifi should be always on.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So the way I understand it, there is a new bug that WiFi does not automatically switch over to LTE when it needs to?

Let me clarify. Portico introduced the wifi always-on option. By default it's off. But if you turn that on, leave your wifi area and then try to use data, it *sometimes* fails to switch over to 3G or LTE in a timely manner. It does switch over after a while (30 sec, 2 minutes?) or you can immediately make it work by turning off or toggling wifi. It seems as if phone is trying to make extra sure that the wifi access point is not there before switching over to cellular data. Not a huge deal but..

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me clarify. Portico introduced the wifi always-on option. By default it's off. But if you turn that on, leave your wifi area and then try to use data, it *sometimes* fails to switch over to 3G or LTE in a timely manner. It does switch over after a while (30 sec, 2 minutes?) or you can immediately make it work by turning off or toggling wifi. It seems as if phone is trying to make extra sure that the wifi access point is not there before switching over to cellular data. Not a huge deal but..

You know there is something to this idea. The building that I work has WiFi but depending on where I am walking around it I lose the connection. I wouldn't want the back and forth thing to happen in that scenario. I suspect the 30s interval is there for the majority of use cases where a person is leaving home or Starbucks and getting into their car. Microsoft figures the earliest you'll be accessing your smartphone for data will be after the interval. It's never going to satisfy 100% of users. I wonder how iOS & Android do it?

What I think Microsoft should do is expand out the WiFI settings so that you can select 2 options:

- immediately connect to LTE when out of range of WiFI
- the current 30 second wait

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What I think Microsoft should do is expand out the WiFI settings so that you can select 2 options:

- immediately connect to LTE when out of range of WiFI
- the current 30 second wait

I think they would never do this, because this is a minor option and they already don't let us choose much more important things.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i think the always on is more for guys like me who don't have a data plan, i mean if your phone goes into standby and you have data plan you still get notifications right? (with out always on, i stop getting notifications...)

but ya, i think smoledman is right, it might be decided that 30sec~2min was a good enough gap, wonder if they'll change it eventually

btw, did you figure out if it was your router or not yet for the second issue?

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I thought the purpose of the Portico change was to leave WiFi connected when the phone was locked. I didn't think there was supposed to be much change as far as what happens when you leave a WiFi area. At any rate, I haven't have any problem with this. I HAVE had my phone continue to use cell data while connected to WiFi however. I started a separate thread about that. I contacted AT&T and they were no help.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
i think the always on is more for guys like me who don't have a data plan, i mean if your phone goes into standby and you have data plan you still get notifications right? (with out always on, i stop getting notifications...)

but ya, i think smoledman is right, it might be decided that 30sec~2min was a good enough gap, wonder if they'll change it eventually

btw, did you figure out if it was your router or not yet for the second issue?

I haven't experienced the second issue again since then. I have several PCs and an old smartphone. Something about WPA2 setting is causing trouble for one or the other. Lumia 920 has been fine. Not sure what happened ealier. It happened in my home where wifi signal is pretty weak so it's possible the phone lost the wifi signal briefly and decided to use cellular at the time. The status bar at the top doesn't always show so it's hard to tell for sure whether wifi was active at the moment app download started.

fieldsy1024

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Is that why my tunein radio shuts off when I walk out of my house and then turns back on about 20 seconds later after going for a walk? This happens every time I go for a walk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05