Auto Rotation

Pipeman597

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
My Black Lumia 920 bought on launch day from AT&T suddenly stopped being able to go to landscape mode. The phone hasn't had any issues up til now. I thought I got lucky with this one after reading the posts about battery,dust, etc. I tried soft reset then a hard reset. It got stuck with the gears turning until the battery eventually died. I plugged in the charging cable and in a short while it rebooted and continued with gears and then asked to restore which I did successfully. Of course it didn't fix my screen issue. So I guess it is a hardware sensor problem or firmware? Has anybodt else had this issue? Time for RMA? Thanks:unhappy:

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem occur on my 920 the weekend just gone.
My screen was unable to rotate and go to landscape mode, I too performed a soft reset which didn't solve the problem so I decided to do a hard reset and while the phone was resetted back to factory settings the problem was still there. I downloaded "Diagnostics Toolset" from the marketplace to test the sensors and found that my Accelerometer sensors was stuck all the way on the right even though the phone was level and also my gyro sensor was spinning around like crazy as though the phone was being waved around when it was stationary on the table.
I have initiated a RMA to a Nokia repair centre and the phone is being picked up on Monday, I am based in the UK.

It's really odd as I have never dropped the phone so I really don't know why the sensors failed in the way they have.
I assumed it was a hardware sensor problem on my phone because from what I read on the forums no-one mentioned doing a RMA with this problem.
After seeing your post I decided to reply back to see if this is an isolated case (just you and me) or if the problem is more widespread amongst others.

Pipeman597

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Well just ran the tests you mentioned and I get the same readings. The Accelerometer is stuck "down right" and the gyro sensor is spinning like crazy also. Guess RMA is the only solution. So you will be without a phone until they exchange it? Thanks for your input. Also Lumia level app is stuck all the way to the right. Guess I am screwed.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting to know that we both have exactly the same problem. Hopefully it's an isolated case and no-one else has the same problem.
I have reverted back to my Sony Xperia T until Nokia fix and return my 920 to me, I have been quoted "within 10 days", so I will keep you posted on the situation.
I hope that you get yours sorted asap.

Pipeman597

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I have processed an RMA with AT&T after reading your post. They are shipping me a replacement with a return label so I can still use my phone. I hope the replacement, possibly a refurbished per their conversation, is problem free. Thanks for your help.

MrZippo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Nokia have decided that my phone cannot be repaired and have decided to give me a replacement one.
It should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed that this one is problem free

Pipeman597

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
My replacement arrives tomorrow as well. They said it could be a refurb. Not looking forward to that. Maybe I am just paranoid after reading all the posts concerning defects but my phone was perfect until the problem started. Not looking forward to some other peeps problem device. I hope that's not the case.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720