I can't believe I'm going to use case/screen protector

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Finally got my replacement 920 over the weekend, but have decided to not activate it until my case and screen protector comes in from eBay. The old phone sent for warranty was used naked, just like I did the 900. But the 920 had light scratches all over the body and screen. My naked 900 didn't even have a single one. Looks great still from afar, but when you hold it in your hands, its very noticeable. Anyway, just not used to covering up my phone, and hoping the screen protector doesn't mess too much with the phone's sensitive touch capabilities and the case isn't too thick for the NFC charger.

EDIT: my phone with case: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...folio-leather-cover-case-l920-[pictures].html

Last edited:

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i use a TPU case on my lumia 920 and it doesnt interfere with the wireless charging at all. the lumia 920 is a good looking phone but to make sure you arent one of those ppl that come back on here complaining about their phone breaking when they dropped it, it's best to have some kind of protection on it. in the end it's all glass and plastic. it's not indestructible.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I put my 920 next to my Galaxy S and my old Mytouch and the screen is way more scratched on my 920. Kinda depressing but I run a screen protector now just to cover the scratches it already has.

(Be prepared you are about to get a bunch of posts telling you that the screen doesn't actually scratch and you are wrong for saying you have any scratches on your indestructible screen)

Hahaha I've been around these forums long enough to know that. I used to be one of them (sadly). Then the unthinkable happened... it actually happened to me! LOL

Andrzej Janus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
After at least three phones with the mighty gorilla glass i no longer believe in it's marketing magic properties... screen protector is a must, even if you have gorilla glass 5 or whatever - they all do scratch after a while, no matter how lightly you treat your phone.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
i use a TPU case on my lumia 920 and it doesnt interfere with the wireless charging at all. the lumia 920 is a good looking phone but to make sure you arent one of those ppl that come back on here complaining about their phone breaking when they dropped it, it's best to have some kind of protection on it. in the end it's all glass and plastic. it's not indestructible.

Yeah I really don't like cases, because it is a good looking phone. So I need a good looking case too. I'm glad I found a folio case that I like:

Black Nillkin Gentleman Folio Leather Cover Case Film for Nokia Lumia 920 Phil | eBay

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
After at least three phones with the mighty gorilla glass i no longer believe in it's marketing magic properties... screen protector is a must, even if you have gorilla glass 5 or whatever - they all do scratch after a while, no matter how lightly you treat your phone.

I think you're right. I've learned my lesson. From now on I'm going to get a screen protector, at the very least.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I dislike cases but I hate scratches more. I had a full body Ghost Armor put on mine. I opted for the clear (mostly because I like my red phone) and it looks great. Won't protect from drops but it looks and feels naked but is completely protected from scratches.

Kinalyx

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My HTC one X has never seen a screen protector and it has literally zero scratches on the screen. Granted, i do baby my phones, so that may have a little to do with it, but i assume most of you also baby your phones, so i dunno.

Shawn

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
i put a screen protector on mine also. I ordered a case, otter box commuter, and didnt like it so now i have no case and dont care about scratches on the body(which are there). I have ordered a nillkin fashion portfolio case just for the sake of its ability to look stylish and maybe not be as off putting as the otter box. The screen sucks with scratches, i closely examined my buddies iphone 5 and he has nothing after sticking it in his jeans like its worth 2 dollars. Mine on the other hand its micro scratched to **** and has a large scratch from a grain of sand or something or the sort.

My screen protector is a martin fields which is a pain to get from around the world and it doesnt cover the whole screen. But it is really really smooth and reusable. IMO all that matters is the viewing part of the glass. Edges can go to crap. If your concerned about the edges youll have to go with a wet apply like xtreme guard which i have sitting on my desk in case my current screen protector starts to suck.
Sreen Protector:
Amazon.com: Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (Nokia Lumia 920) - Includes Camera Lens Protector: Cell Phones & Accessories

None of it affects sensitivity although i recommend turning sensitivity up with the screen protector anyway. And you can charge through any case as long as it isnt made of metal as far as i know.

Case ive got coming and case i only will use for camping:

Black Nillkin Fashion PU Flip Leather Cover Case LCD Guard for Nokia Lumia 920 | eBay

Nokia Lumia 920 Commuter Series case by OtterBox

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector since I had my Motorola Q. Everything after that had gorilla glass and lived up to its claims. This phone looks like it has some kind of clear coating and is actually the one getting scratched, not the glass or body. But still, its showing up and it makes me sad.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
i put a screen protector on mine also. I ordered a case, otter box commuter, and didnt like it so now i have no case and dont care about scratches on the body(which are there). I have ordered a nillkin fashion portfolio case just for the sake of its ability to look stylish and maybe not be as off putting as the otter box. The screen sucks with scratches, i closely examined my buddies iphone 5 and he has nothing after sticking it in his jeans like its worth 2 dollars. Mine on the other hand its micro scratched to **** and has a large scratch from a grain of sand or something or the sort.

My screen protector is a martin fields which is a pain to get from around the world and it doesnt cover the whole screen. But it is really really smooth and reusable. IMO all that matters is the viewing part of the glass. Edges can go to crap. If your concerned about the edges youll have to go with a wet apply like xtreme guard which i have sitting on my desk in case my current screen protector starts to suck.
Sreen Protector:
Amazon.com: Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (Nokia Lumia 920) - Includes Camera Lens Protector: Cell Phones & Accessories

None of it affects sensitivity although i recommend turning sensitivity up with the screen protector anyway. And you can charge through any case as long as it isnt made of metal as far as i know.

Case ive got coming and case i only will use for camping:

Black Nillkin Fashion PU Flip Leather Cover Case LCD Guard for Nokia Lumia 920 | eBay

Nokia Lumia 920 Commuter Series case by OtterBox

I've ordered a similar case by Nillkin... and yes the wait is FOREVER from China. I hope the protector that my order comes with is smooth enough.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Huh... Lumia 920 uses glass display, any glass display can be damaged by scratches, regardless of the fancy names... The "Gorilla Glass" (any kind of it, any shape) is NOT totally "scratch-proof" - it is merely "scratch-resistant", everything else (the amount and severity of scratches) depends on pure luck - I've dropped my Lumia 920 twice, both times on a hard surfaces, I have 0 scratches on its display... I never dropped my iPhone 4S and never placed it "face down" and always carried it in a dedicated belt pouch/case, yet its display had a few tiny scratches after less than a year of usage.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Huh... Lumia 920 uses glass display, any glass display can be damaged by scratches, regardless of the fancy names... The "Gorilla Glass" (any kind of it, any shape) is NOT totally "scratch-proof" - it is merely "scratch-resistant", everything else (the amount and severity of scratches) depends on pure luck - I've dropped my Lumia 920 twice, both times on a hard surfaces, I have 0 scratches on its display... I never dropped my iPhone 4S and never placed it "face down" and always carried it in a dedicated belt pouch/case, yet its display had a few tiny scratches after less than a year of usage.

The scratches people are talking about are in the coating on the glass, not on the glass itself.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought a phone case. Made it so much easier to grip, but didn't look as good. Bought a screen protector, it was cheap and lasted a week or so.

Seen comments about those "wet application" screen protectors, they sound good. How easy are they to apply?

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought a phone case. Made it so much easier to grip, but didn't look as good. Bought a screen protector, it was cheap and lasted a week or so.

Seen comments about those "wet application" screen protectors, they sound good. How easy are they to apply?

i think its easy now, but i screwed up my first one pretty bad. To much water, got lint on the sticky part. Crap like that. I realized that i was overthinking it so now i just sprinkle some soapy water on one and slap the sucker on my phone. Less think, more do. Solves the problems

electriclamb

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
biggest problem is rubbery texture and a high potential for orange peel texture under certain light. Its obvious it isnt glass but at the same time its a lot harder to scratch than the hard plastic screen protectors

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't like to use a full case on my devices. I have the Zagg Invisible Shield on my 920 and it is actually virtually invisible. It is thick and self healing and doesn't change the screen performance in any way. If you aren't going to use a full case, I can recommend the Zagg without hesitation. It is a dry install and pretty easy to install - just watch the video before you install it!

Nokia Lumia 920 Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector since I had my Motorola Q. Everything after that had gorilla glass and lived up to its claims. This phone looks like it has some kind of clear coating and is actually the one getting scratched, not the glass or body. But still, its showing up and it makes me sad.

sounds to me like the oleophobic coating is scratched. if you are willing to spend here's the solution:
Amazon.com: API The World's First Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating Kit Fusso SmartPhone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo