What is considered normal battery life?

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a lot of battery life issue complaints and have been monitoring my battery. But nobody really posting what is normal, I am noticing I am using on average 5% an hour. Which is ok and lasts me the day but still seems a bit high to me.

What is considered normal?

I have pretty much everything off (bt, tap/share, etc). I have 4 apps allowed to run in the background (Fox News, Wpcentral, Battery Sense, Weather Flow with location off only a preset location).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a lot of battery life issue complaints and have been monitoring my battery. But nobody really posting what is normal, I am noticing I am using on average 5% an hour. Which is ok and lasts me the day but still seems a bit high to me.

What is considered normal?

I have pretty much everything off (bt, tap/share, etc). I have 4 apps allowed to run in the background (Fox News, Wpcentral, Battery Sense, Weather Flow with location off only a preset location).

Well, that may be as easy as answering what is a normal family! :)

The best answer, it depends. There is a non-numerical definition that many people accept: "it lasts me to the end of the day"
I would think that is the closest thing to 'normal'

It still depends, because, well, it depends what you're doing with the phone. How many background tasks, what is on and active, how long are your calls, how much browsing, streaming, playing video games, how intensive are the programs, how well is the code written for these individual programs, can you go 10 seconds without touching your beautiful phone, etc

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My 5% an hour is not touching my phone except to check the time and maybe a quick check of an app. So probably 5 minutes of actual usage per hour on the high side.

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
My 5% an hour is not touching my phone except to check the time and maybe a quick check of an app. So probably 5 minutes of actual usage per hour on the high side.

I would consider that on the slightly high side for basically having the phone on idle. However, if for 5 minutes you are on Whatsapp, or Baconit, or playing a game, or heck even WPCentral, then 5% is pretty good :grin:

Such is Life With Lumia...

krystea

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
After unplugging from an overnight charge, I'll go about my day, go to sleep, and wake up with sixty-something percent battery left. Sometimes more.
Sometimes it'll be ready to give up around 11p. Sometimes earlier.

Really, it depends on what you're doing on your phone that day. However, when comparing it to previous smartphones I've owned, even some basic phones, it takes a lot more to drain it.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is draining 5% an hour with no use, that is not good. Your description of how little of your usage is very vague so I would suspect 5% an hour is ok for your use. if it last you the whole day without issue, you should be fine.

I easily get a whole days worth of usage, but i check my phone a lot throughout the day, mostly checking people hub, weaver, and wpcentral. Then at lunch usually about an hour of surfing on IE/Weaver, Hub, wpcentral, others. I should be at 20-30% by 11pm off the charger at 8am. Throw in about 50-100 text at times and a few minutes of phone calls, i dont do many phone calls though.

I have 3 apps running - battery, weather, locksider. two push emails and one email every 30 minutes.

Again, i get the battery lasting all day with 20-30% easily with use. If i didnt use at all and let my phone sit, my battery will drain 0% - 2%. I've left my phone off the charger overnight once for about 6-7 hours and woke up with 98%.

The phone shouldn't drain much on idle, when you start using it, it will start draining quite a bit.

S Rodrigo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Remove nokia music, reset your phone (hold down power and volume down), then see what your % loss is through the day. I went from about 5% loss an hour to around 2%. Your experience might differ, but before removing nokia music I could not make it overnight without a charge.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Remove nokia music, reset your phone (hold down power and volume down), then see what your % loss is through the day. I went from about 5% loss an hour to around 2%. Your experience might differ, but before removing nokia music I could not make it overnight without a charge.

Already did that.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
If your phone is draining 5% an hour with no use, that is not good. Your description of how little of your usage is very vague so I would suspect 5% an hour is ok for your use. if it last you the whole day without issue, you should be fine.

I easily get a whole days worth of usage, but i check my phone a lot throughout the day, mostly checking people hub, weaver, and wpcentral. Then at lunch usually about an hour of surfing on IE/Weaver, Hub, wpcentral, others. I should be at 20-30% by 11pm off the charger at 8am. Throw in about 50-100 text at times and a few minutes of phone calls, i dont do many phone calls though.

I have 3 apps running - battery, weather, locksider. two push emails and one email every 30 minutes.

Again, i get the battery lasting all day with 20-30% easily with use. If i didnt use at all and let my phone sit, my battery will drain 0% - 2%. I've left my phone off the charger overnight once for about 6-7 hours and woke up with 98%.

The phone shouldn't drain much on idle, when you start using it, it will start draining quite a bit.

I have one email set for hourly. No texting, maybe 5 minutes of phone calls a day. Like I said I check my phone maybe hourly for 5 minutes of usage on average. No games during that time, no surfing. Just check wpcentral app and read a story or two then turn it off. That's 5% per hour. Even if I don't do anything with it It's 5%. If I play a game or something it jumps to 30% to 40% an hour.

On day 1 after I first got the phone I took it off the charger at 10am it shut itself off at 3pm. Did a hard reset and the Next day was much better. But it seems to have plateaued at the 5% average now.

I did the soft reset and did a hard reset on day 2.

Also I noticed that just before I get up in the morning my phone drains about 8%. The phone is never 100% in the morning. I can check it around 6am and it's 100% but by the time I get up at 10am to noon its down to 92%.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
on a Sunday, with 2 email sync every 30 and 1 pushed, wifi auto sniff on, background with whatsapp, im+, skype, weather channel and battery monitor. Nokia music installed but not turn on. LTE off. Some 15 min browsing. tap share off, normal sensitivity, auto brightness. It last from Saturday late night till Monday noon since last full charged.

I guess you are on the high side.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I have one email set for hourly. No texting, maybe 5 minutes of phone calls a day. Like I said I check my phone maybe hourly for 5 minutes of usage on average. No games during that time, no surfing. Just check wpcentral app and read a story or two then turn it off. That's 5% per hour. Even if I don't do anything with it It's 5%. If I play a game or something it jumps to 30% to 40% an hour.

On day 1 after I first got the phone I took it off the charger at 10am it shut itself off at 3pm. Did a hard reset and the Next day was much better. But it seems to have plateaued at the 5% average now.

I did the soft reset and did a hard reset on day 2.

Also I noticed that just before I get up in the morning my phone drains about 8%. The phone is never 100% in the morning. I can check it around 6am and it's 100% but by the time I get up at 10am to noon its down to 92%.

Charge your phone 100% before you go to bed. Take it off and let it sit off charger while you sleep. All things being equal, when you wake up after 6 or 7 hours, i would say it should still be no less than 97%.

My settings i have BT off, nfc off. I do have nokia music installed but i dont use it, i have skype as well. I would do that and see if there is a drain, but my phone will probably still be 100% if i leave it over night.

Now this is my fourth phone as well, two of my phones i had were defective and would drain 20% overnight. While draining 5% is not bad overnight without use, it could be just an app you have installed.

In general, this phoen drains quite a bit when using it, but should be very minimal drain while not using it.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Charge your phone 100% before you go to bed. Take it off and let it sit off charger while you sleep. All things being equal, when you wake up after 6 or 7 hours, i would say it should still be no less than 97%.

My settings i have BT off, nfc off. I do have nokia music installed but i dont use it, i have skype as well. I would do that and see if there is a drain, but my phone will probably still be 100% if i leave it over night.

Now this is my fourth phone as well, two of my phones i had were defective and would drain 20% overnight. While draining 5% is not bad overnight without use, it could be just an app you have installed.

In general, this phoen drains quite a bit when using it, but should be very minimal drain while not using it.

Will try that tonight. I am sure it will be dead by the morning.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You might want to reboot before doing a proper test. Once in a while phone gets into a state where it drains more battery than usual. Just rebooting fixes it.

One poster above wrote you should get more than 97% after 6-7 hours of standby. I don't think it's necessarily true for everyone. There are many factors to battery life.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
You might want to reboot before doing a proper test. Once in a while phone gets into a state where it drains more battery than usual. Just rebooting fixes it.

One poster above wrote you should get more than 97% after 6-7 hours of standby. I don't think it's necessarily true for everyone. There are many factors to battery life.

I said that but also threw in the " all things being equal".

Still the phone should still have a high percentage bases on the settings he listed.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This morning at 10 am (10 hours of standby) it was at 70%. So I lost 3% an hour.

Tonight I will reboot the phone and do the test again.

I should also mention that my old Samsung Focus which Is basically setup the same has been off the charger for 2 days now and I played Star Wars Cantina for an hour yesterday on it and is only at 62%.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's mindboggling to me that we can't even answer this question properly because there's no API in Windows Phone to report screen-on time.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This morning at 10 am (10 hours of standby) it was at 70%. So I lost 3% an hour.

Tonight I will reboot the phone and do the test again.

I should also mention that my old Samsung Focus which Is basically setup the same has been off the charger for 2 days now and I played Star Wars Cantina for an hour yesterday on it and is only at 62%.

If your phone was left untouched through the 10 hours and is at 70% your battery is not good or you have too much things running on your phone. Based on your previous post, i dont see that is the case. I would check your email/account settings if it is stuck "syncing". I would put your phoen on idle, wait a few minutes and turn it on and see what your signal sign says, does it show low bars and then increases or is it consistently the same everytime you put on idle and turn back on.

I had a phone that had an issue with reception while on idle, everytimei turn on the phone from idle, my reception would show no signal or no bars then gradually increase. I would check my email/account settings and there would be errors, after 20-30 seconds everything would sync up again. I eventually exchanged the phone.

So if your signal bar is the same everytime you turn on the phone from idle, it could just be a bad battery or app running constantly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb