The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I bought a 920 as x'mas present for my fiance. At first the camera works great. Few days ago she reports that the low light shots suck and is not what it used to be.
    I did take some very low light shots with the 920 before and it turns out great. But I cannot recall the exact conditions so I'm not sure whether we are expecting too much or it is normal.

Here are some pictures I taken from the phone. AF light on. Flash off. Everything else auto
    The first set is with the door almost fully opened.
    The second set, I closed the door a bit and left a small gap to let less light in.

Sorry for the long post. I'm new to this forum and cannot find the spoiler tag ( if there is one).

My room layout. It is around 11 x 11 feet.

Set 1. Door almost fully opened. Outside of the room is as bright as the first picture. I'm from Malaysia where the sun is bright all year long.

Set 2. Closed the door a bit to let less light in.

Last edited by pengfoong; 01-16-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    01-16-2013 05:45 AM
    I think you need to switch on focus assist light. Open camera..pull the 3 dots (menu)>photo settings>Scroll to bottom and switch on focus assist light. This will help you with low light (or no light) photography. Remember to switch off flash while doing so.
    01-16-2013 06:04 AM
    I think you need to switch on focus assist light. Open camera..pull the 3 dots (menu)>photo settings>Scroll to bottom and switch on focus assist light. This will help you with low light (or no light) photography. Remember to switch off flash while doing so.
    I don't think that changes much... Maybe something wrong with the camera module?
    01-16-2013 06:14 AM
    AF light was on. Flash was off. Everything else was on defaults. Are the photos normal?
    01-16-2013 07:12 AM
    Shots aren't surprising on auto mode. Remember that auto mode will try to determine how much light is available and adjust your settings accordingly. Play with the settings manually and learn what they do. All your shots with the light streaming in from the one room will cause auto mode to get confused due to the high contrast in lighting. Try switching to night mode for these types of shots and take note of how the camera auto focuses depending on where you point the lense. When you get the right settings however, you might get it blowing out and over exposing on an area that has a lot of light in the otherwise dark shot shot... this is just a reality of photography. You have to compose your shots.

With your shots with no obvious light source remember that the camera is not magic... it can't make light appear that is not there. You can see in some of your shots that it is desperately trying to get let in and the shot is going blurry as a result. Again, try night mode and play with the settings. Also remember that low light shots require an extremely steady hand regardless of OIS. Try tapping the screen lightly to activate the shutter vs. pushing the camera button as it won't cause as much shake and try to hold the phone very lightly in your hand. If you try to grip it hard to you will cause blurriness due to your hand shake.

The Lumia 920 is capable of amazing low light shots but it still requires some practice and skill. The camera technology is miles ahead of any smart phone out there and even most point and shoots but remember that good technology doesn't create amazing photography. Don't be one of those dumb asses out there that think they can buy a basic DSLR, put it on auto, and abra kadabra they are a professional photographer and you should pay them to shoot your wedding....

Also, I never use AF light on low light shots... it creates a very artificial light source in the shot. This isn't a matter of focus, the blurriness is your hand shake due to the long exposure time.

If any professional photographers want to rip my post apart thats fine... I'm not a professional photographer but these are just some observations I've made from recreational photography. Happy to be corrected.
    paddylaz likes this.
    01-16-2013 07:14 AM
    LM920 can produce the good low-light shot quality, but not the "no light shot".

I'm not sure that you or you fiancee could produce the better shot in that condition before?
    To me, that condition is too dark to produce the good shot.

But, if you ever got the good shot on the same condition, I would say something went wrong on your camera module.

My friend also facing the same issue, but she doesn't have time go to Nokia Care yet.
    Now, her LM920 can't produce the low-light shot anymore (it's working fine earlier) no matter what manual setting she tried.
    All shots are dark and grainy (as yours) even there are some lights on the scene.
    01-16-2013 07:45 AM