DPReview.com releases their review of Lumia 920 camera

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They definitely have my respect!! Although some of the commenters in the article really like to take things out of context or make the Lumia 920 worse than it seems.

They are just typical MS haters you see everywhere. Lumia 920's camera blew away their phone camera so they need to bash like that to pretend theirs don't suck.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is an on screen photo button. Just tap the screen, it takes the photo!

An autofocus-and-shoot button in the UI might be useful - that's how the iPhone's on-screen shutter button works and people are used to that. The hard button is in kind of a weird place if you want to do a quick one-handed portrait shot and would rather have AF than mess around with focus.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
An autofocus-and-shoot button in the UI might be useful - that's how the iPhone's on-screen shutter button works and people are used to that. The hard button is in kind of a weird place if you want to do a quick one-handed portrait shot and would rather have AF than mess around with focus.

How is it different than WP's tap-to-focus-and-shoot? Sorry, I've never owned an iPhone.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How is it different than WP's tap-to-focus-and-shoot? Sorry, I've never owned an iPhone.

I had to dig out my iPhone 4S from cold storage to confirm. The on-screen button actually doesn't trigger autofocus, the iPhone uses continuous autofocus, and the on-screen button is just a simple shutter release. There's also tap-to-focus that overrides the C-AF, but you still need to hit the shutter release button to take the photo. The main advantage to this system is that your finger isn't in the way of the screen when composing a photo, and you don't have to choose a focus point if you don't want.

Side note, I gagged when I saw how poorly the 4S performed in the normal indoor lighting of my apartment. Spoiled again by the Lumia :)

IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0057.jpg

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had to dig out my iPhone 4S from cold storage to confirm. The on-screen button actually doesn't trigger autofocus, the iPhone uses continuous autofocus, and the on-screen button is just a simple shutter release. There's also tap-to-focus that overrides the C-AF, but you still need to hit the shutter release button to take the photo. The main advantage to this system is that your finger isn't in the way of the screen when composing a photo, and you don't have to choose a focus point if you don't want.

Side note, I gagged when I saw how poorly the 4S performed in the normal indoor lighting of my apartment. Spoiled again by the Lumia :)

View attachment 27116 View attachment 27117

Ha ha. Yeah I still have an old Samsung Focus and it's almost funny when I compare it against L920.

Thanks for the explanation on the iphone. I can now see why some people from iphone world might find L920's shooting method unfamiliar initially. Personally I like the way tap-to-AF-and-shoot works on the 920 just fine. It gives a second or two of exposure delay (due to AF) so I can hold my camera real steady when exposure is actually taken. But if you want a separate UI control for AF and shutter operation, check out the CameraPro app if you haven't. It has separate onscreen buttons for AF and shutter.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha. Yeah I still have an old Samsung Focus and it's almost funny when I compare it against L920.

Thanks for the explanation on the iphone. I can now see why some people from iphone world might find L920's shooting method unfamiliar initially. Personally I like the way tap-to-AF-and-shoot works on the 920 just fine. It gives a second or two of exposure delay (due to AF) so I can hold my camera real steady when exposure is actually taken. But if you want a separate UI control for AF and shutter operation, check out the CameraPro app if you haven't. It has separate onscreen buttons for AF and shutter.

I also just pulled out my Droid 2 Global (permanently stuck at Gingerbread, thank you very much Moto). That does have the on-screen button for autofocus-then-shoot. God, the camera in that thing was wretched

I have the ProShot app, but don't really use it a lot - most of the time I want the camera in this phone to just take good pics quickly with default settings, which it does pretty spectacularly for a phone. For anything more serious or artistic, I get out one of my camera bodies and the appropriate lens for it. CameraPro does have an on-screen shutter release, but you still have to hold the hard button down or tap the screen attain focus. Not sure that's super useful :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss