01-21-2013 09:13 PM
72 123
tools
    Have you returned your device for a replacement?

It sounds like you have a faulty battery in your device, it's an issue that's been known about since launch and in the grand scheme of things is quite rare.
    01-19-2013 08:28 AM
    . . . Besides normally you should only charge your phone for 3 hours . . .
    Who said this?

All phone manufacturers know MOST people plug their phones in for overnight charging. They put switches in to turn off charging when the battery is full to protect it. You can't expect folks to wake up at 2 AM to unplug their phones.
    01-19-2013 08:49 AM
    Who said this?
    All phone manufacturers know MOST people plug their phones in for overnight charging. They put switches in to turn off charging when the battery is full to protect it. You can't expect folks to wake up at 2 AM to unplug their phones.
    Yes they have charging circuits, the issue is not over charging but sustained 100% charge.
    On the other end of the spectrum, keeping a Li-ion battery fully charged is not good for it either. This isn't because Li-ion batteries can get "overcharged" (something that people used to worry about in The Olden Days of portable computers), but a Li-ion battery that doesn't get used will suffer from capacity loss, meaning that it won't be able to hold as much charge and power your gadgets for as long. Extremely shallow discharges of only a couple percent are also not enough to keep a Li-ion battery in practice, so if you're going to pull the plug, let the battery run down for a little bit.
    Over time, it will be cumulative. Of course it is hard to estimate how much capacity is lost this way, many variables. It is also quite unavoidable with charging over night.
    And read Battery University for a lot more detail.
    01-19-2013 09:15 AM
    I have only ever had this problem once with my lumia 920 when it went from 40% to 10% within an hour, and because it had only happens once I never found out why it drained so quickly. My partner has the same phone and whereas my battery can go 2 day before a charge ( for one day I normally use about 40% on a light day and 80% on a heavy day) but her phone drain about twice as fast both on the same network with identical settings and the only difference I mentioned her was that she uses whatsapp and normally message people through out the day with that and I can only imagine that this is one of those apps which never close even after exiting as it needs to check for replies when using push notifications
    01-19-2013 10:14 AM
    No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.
    If the phone won't last 7 hours when they are NOT using, how do you think it's going to survive the DAY when they are using it?

You sound just like those Apple FanBoyz that think nobody cannot speak a bad word against Apple. I hate those guys.

The fact is that the phone has battery issues... we all know that.... I'm sure they're looking for HELP, not to be called STUPID.
    tekhna, Derek Leung and 920Walker like this.
    01-19-2013 10:53 AM
    As a electrical engineer who only last week put together a Li-Ion charger design, I can tell you that pretty much all charger ICs these days cut the charger off after a while either once the battery is considered fully charged, or after a timer even if it doesn't believe its charged. At this point it applies no power to the battery, running from external power only.

This means there is no issue leaving the phone plugged in permanently if you want, because once charged, the battery is effectively disconnected.
    01-19-2013 11:01 AM
    No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.
    A few days ago I charged my 920 to 100%. I took it off the charger. In the morning, a mere 7 or hours later, the phone was nearly dead.
    A couple of days ago the phone was about 80% charged. It died overnight.

During the course of one day, the phone can show an estimated battery life of anywhere from 8 or 9 hours to over 5 days - and the 5 days is AFTER it has shown 8 hours. The estimated battery life is a joke. Right now it is showing 84% left with an estimate of 10 days 8 hours. Yesterday, before I went to be and without charging it, the estimate was about 1.5 days.

For the two examples at the top, I was wondering if it had anything to do with the placement of the phone. For the first one, I had left the phone on top of my covered Kindle Fire. The wi-fi was off on the phone. The Kindle had its screen turned off but it was still active. In the second example, the phone was placed on the paper tray of a wireless printer. Again, the phone's wi-fi was turned off. Cellular data was turned off in both instances also, as was the background refreshing. Not saying if the placement had anything to do with it but I wonder...
    01-19-2013 11:04 AM
    The battery itself is great. The problem is with WP8. Here's my battery life so far.
    01-19-2013 11:25 AM
    P.S. Also never understood anyone who depends on cell phone alarm. To many things can go wrong there.
    You kidding me right? I haven't had a standard alarm clock since I first got a phone in 2001!!!
    And not once have any failed on me...apart from my current L820.

Anyway, this thread is NOT about missing school - its about the stupid way a WP device went from 70-0 overnight.
    tekhna and 920Walker like this.
    01-19-2013 11:30 AM
    Have to wonder if any of you folks with battery complaints have internet sharing enabled. If other devices such as the Kindle mentioned above are trying to connect it could certainly pull more juice than normal.

Just a thought.
    01-19-2013 11:32 AM
    Any solutions ?
    Sometimes what I do is switch on the battery saver when I go to bed. I know it's not "recommended" (or an actual solution - this is more of a workaround really) but its the best we've got until the guys at Nokrisoft figure out a real solution and give an update.

Side note: Where's my Portico update??
    01-19-2013 11:36 AM
    As a electrical engineer who only last week put together a Li-Ion charger design, I can tell you that pretty much all charger ICs these days cut the charger off after a while either once the battery is considered fully charged, or after a timer even if it doesn't believe its charged. At this point it applies no power to the battery, running from external power only.

This means there is no issue leaving the phone plugged in permanently if you want, because once charged, the battery is effectively disconnected.
    I'm an electrical engineer also and have designed many chargers over the years. What you say is true, but most batteries have a finite numbers of charge cycles they can got through. Why go through a charge cycle every night when you could be doing it other night? Your killing the battery faster charging it every night.

Been doing this stuff for over 30 years and there is a problem here. May be firmware or a hardware problem, but a problem never the less. It needs looked into and fixed.
    01-19-2013 12:11 PM
    Have to wonder if any of you folks with battery complaints have internet sharing enabled. If other devices such as the Kindle mentioned above are trying to connect it could certainly pull more juice than normal.

Just a thought.

No internet sharing enabled here. The battery drain is entirely random... check my example post here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...andomness.html
    01-19-2013 12:16 PM
    I'm an electrical engineer also and have designed many chargers over the years. What you say is true, but most batteries have a finite numbers of charge cycles they can got through. Why go through a charge cycle every night when you could be doing it other night? Your killing the battery faster charging it every night.

Been doing this stuff for over 30 years and there is a problem here. May be firmware or a hardware problem, but a problem never the less. It needs looked into and fixed.

Totally concur on there being a problem. And agree that there are a finite number of charge cycles... although it is a lot... my phone gets a charge once or twice a day only because there is a problem. Would love to charge it every 3rd night!
    01-19-2013 12:18 PM
    Sometimes what I do is switch on the battery saver when I go to bed. I know it's not "recommended" (or an actual solution - this is more of a workaround really) but its the best we've got until the guys at Nokrisoft figure out a real solution and give an update.

Side note: Where's my Portico update??
    Portico makes no difference.
    01-19-2013 12:19 PM
    Portico makes no difference.
    Yeah I figured just as much, but I guess we all secretly hope that the 'next big update' will magically solve all our issues..
    01-19-2013 01:45 PM
    Try turning off NFC (Tap & Send) in settings. My battery was barely making 8 hours from new. After turning off NFC I'm now getting 24-30 hours out of a charge! the other thing to do is completely drain the battery @ least 3 times but its best to do this every time as it will increase your batteries performance & life.
    01-19-2013 04:24 PM
    Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app. Just keep that in mind and watch your background apps.

The battery drain is obviously an issue which I'm sure will be solved eventually. Problems with battery drain happens with almost every new phone launch. Just a matter of time until its fixed. Until then just be careful.

I have NFC, tap to send, and bluetooth on and have still had this happen a couple of times. Appears to be a random bug.
    01-19-2013 06:59 PM
    Try turning off NFC (Tap & Send) in settings. My battery was barely making 8 hours from new. After turning off NFC I'm now getting 24-30 hours out of a charge! the other thing to do is completely drain the battery @ least 3 times but its best to do this every time as it will increase your batteries performance & life.
    Done it. Made no difference.
    Last edited by realwarder; 01-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    01-19-2013 07:03 PM
    Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app. Just keep that in mind and watch your background apps.

The battery drain is obviously an issue which I'm sure will be solved eventually. Problems with battery drain happens with almost every new phone launch. Just a matter of time until its fixed. Until then just be careful.

I have NFC, tap to send, and bluetooth on and have still had this happen a couple of times. Appears to be a random bug.

I've tried it... as you say, a random bug:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...andomness.html
    01-19-2013 07:04 PM
    Bug after bug after bug, why even bother. I'm thinking I'll get an iPhone.
    01-19-2013 08:44 PM
    Ok UPDATE since I last started this thread. I did one of the commenters suggestion, close all apps that got tombstone ie. Pressing the back button all the way until no apps are running in the background. Well and guess what. I lost 5% Batt in 7hours idle. A great improvement to the ridiculous 70% lost in a similar time period. What I conclude from this is, even though apps that are tombstone don't waste battery. In wp8, GPS apps can run in the background. This means even if you have no map apps running in the background, there are other apps that make use of location such as some twitter apps, picture apps etc. (You can see the small round circle icon beside the clock, that means GPS is being used.) Hence when you press the home button instead of the back button to exit a app, the GPS continue running and suck battery. Another thing is that I think whatsapp is a major battery drainer.
    01-19-2013 10:31 PM
    I'm still gauging my battery usage during normal use while im in school etc as im a hardcore twitter & whatsapp user. Will update results soon.
    01-19-2013 10:33 PM
    Yea... You have to be careful which apps you allow to be "minimized" or running "invisibly" in background, so using that "back" button each time you put away your phone is a good idea, same goes for occasionally checking "background tasks" menu under "Settings" (especially if you like evaluating buggy/beta/half-finished apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Nokia Drive, Facebook, Twitter and dozens of buggy "battery status" apps).
    01-19-2013 11:01 PM
    Whenever I go into doing something I need to conserve battery life I always do the following.
    1) Disable Bluetooth, Wireless
    2) Enable Battery Savor
    3) Backout of all running apps.

That's honestly all I do, and I just completely a five hour shift and went most the day with my battery and its currently only at 80%. Whenever going to bed I would suggest always turning on battery saver, and maybe create an NFC tag by your bed to automatically enable it?

Also, pertaining an easy charge during the night maybe it could be useful to invest in wireless charging, it certainly helps me in the morning. Not really wanting to use energy to pull the phone of fits cable.

Bug after bug after bug, why even bother. I'm thinking I'll get an iPhone.
    That's just a bit of impatience there, WP8 is a brand new software and of course its gonna have its issues. But its also gonna iron those issues out. I owned an android for four to five years before buying my Lumia and compared to android and iPhone this is the most stable phone OS I have ever used. As well, I've never really had any of these issues... not a single one listed and I'd say if you get one of the issues it won't take to long to update it considering Nokia updates all their settings and manages their updates through the marketplace rather then firmware upgrades.
    01-19-2013 11:15 PM
72 123