01-21-2013 09:13 PM
72 123
tools
    Thats how my Lumia 920 used to be, would not even last 4 hours of me sending 20 texts and this is after I got off of work. I am a heavy texter so I was surprised on how fast it drained........So i did with it what I did with my Iphone. I would let the thing die with as much use as possible (games, cnn, gps, music, internet, phone, and texting) until I hit 0%. I did this for a whole week.

Now you wouldn't believe it if I tell you I play a game for 45 min (wheres my water and wordament) and I lose 2% at most and this is while im texting the whole time and the games running in background. I get a whole day out of my phone and when I go to bed I still have 20 percent left. Try that and tell me what happens. Sometimes people need to "break in" the battery
    01-20-2013 12:37 AM
    Today soon as I took my phone off the charger I lost 20% in 2 hours without any running programs (had rebooted it the night before without using anything in the meantime) Then out of the blue without me doing anything the drainage stopped.

I am wondering if it is location services because during those two hours I was driving and it seemed to stop draining when I got to my destination. But I had no map or anything running during that time.

My main issue is if you run ANY app I seem to drain at about 30-40% an hour. Just using a simple app like Board Express Pro shouldn't burn a battery that fast.

Think I may exchange it tomorrow. I have till Wednesday before my 14 days are up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    01-20-2013 12:48 AM
    I agree, Windows Phone fanboys are the worst. Even the editors here.
    You know what's worse than the fanboys? The bitter forum members that build their forum posts up from complaining about the demeanor of the board. By all means, there's four other sister sites
    920Walker likes this.
    01-20-2013 04:24 AM
    Everyone who complains about being 'dumb not charging their phone overnight' can go F-themselves. That doesn't contribute anything to the problem. One should except litte bit more than 14hours from a cellphone.

I would say that issue has nothing to do with having a 'bad battery', and everything to do with the buggy 'Alarm' app. My battery life is brilliant and can go 1+ day easily with heavy use(what ever that means) 3- days with light use. Never used 'battery saver'. I have plenty of apps installed(mostly reputable) everything allowed to run in the backround. Skype also running always in the backround. Never had experienced any major battery draining, expect with games and Metrotube(haven't used since).

..but, the 'Alarm' app. It seems to drain the battery randomly. I've used it few times succesfully, and 2 times it did drain the battery dead and I woke up late. They are the only times I've found my phone dead in the morning. And yes, I did have plenty of battery left before going to sleep(40-50%+). Otherwise I would have put it in charger. I've seen another topic about this('Alarm app'), the same exact issue on some forum too.
    920Walker likes this.
    01-20-2013 02:38 PM
    This morning when I took my phone off the charger I noticed the location service icon was on. My battery drained real quick for the first couple hours again. I was down to 80% in a short time. I hit the back button and made sure there was no running programs.

Some how location was stuck on, also I noticed quite often when I launch Gasbuddy to input prices it cant find my location for about 30 seconds. I keep getting can't find your location. Then finally it works.

I am wondering if it is the gps that is causing the issue?

01-20-2013 02:51 PM
    Last night mine when from 100% to 93% over 9 hrs idle with WiFi connected.
    01-20-2013 02:53 PM
    Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app..
    This isn't true. In Windows Phone there are background tasks, no background apps. The ones in multitasking view are only the ones that are in "tombstoned" state. These apps are essentially paused/screenshots processes that are not alive. Hence we don't need a close button to close apps. As soon as you hit "windows key" - app is stunned to death, but can arise like a zombie (and perform like one if you are whatsapp)
    01-20-2013 02:56 PM
    Everyone who complains about being 'dumb not charging their phone overnight' can go F-themselves. That doesn't contribute anything to the problem. One should except litte bit more than 14hours from a cellphone.

I would say that issue has nothing to do with having a 'bad battery', and everything to do with the buggy 'Alarm' app. My battery life is brilliant and can go 1+ day easily with heavy use(what ever that means) 3- days with light use. Never used 'battery saver'. I have plenty of apps installed(mostly reputable) everything allowed to run in the backround. Skype also running always in the backround. Never had experienced any major battery draining, expect with games and Metrotube(haven't used since).

..but, the 'Alarm' app. It seems to drain the battery randomly. I've used it few times succesfully, and 2 times it did drain the battery dead and I woke up late. They are the only times I've found my phone dead in the morning. And yes, I did have plenty of battery left before going to sleep(40-50%+). Otherwise I would have put it in charger. I've seen another topic about this('Alarm app'), the same exact issue on some forum too.
    That's the first. However, you don't mean the native alarm right?
    Because I've lived on that alarm for 2 years without a single issue
    01-20-2013 02:58 PM
    That's the first. However, you don't mean the native alarm right?
    Because I've lived on that alarm for 2 years without a single issue
    Ok, it's spelled 'Alarms'.. had to check. But yes, I mean the native 'Alarms' app found on my Lumia 920.
    Not sure what native alarm app you might refering to. You've used it for 2 years? Maybe the 'alarm' from WP 7.0 and wp 7.5?

*edit* I had maybe 3-4 succesful alarms with little/zero battery drainage. Then I wake up with my phone dead. Ok, I tought maybe that was just a goof. Then 1-2successful wake ups.. but then, that happening a second time is no goof. Like I said, I rarely put it on charger overnight and never had issues 'something mysterious' draining the battery.

My best guess is that, the WP8 in _certain conditions_ (Alarm on + who knows what else required) goes into some f'ed up loop that doesn't ever exit and eats up the battery. Could be a bug in the app or in the WP8.
    Last edited by DanBB1; 01-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    01-20-2013 03:43 PM
    Ok, it's spelled 'Alarms'.. had to check. But yes, I mean the native 'Alarms' app found on my Lumia 920.
    Not sure what native alarm app you might refering to. You've used it for 2 years? Maybe the 'alarm' from WP 7.0 and wp 7.5?
    Yes it is a system tool more than an app. It has always worked flawlessly without any drain at all in WP7, 7.5, leaked 7.8 and now 8. I use it every night as my primary alarm (I know there are members who think it is stupid to use phone as sole alarm!)
    01-20-2013 04:01 PM
    The issue is random... just when people think they've found it, they haven't.

Almost every app has been suggested to date. Simple fact is it's any or all of them because it's the OS!
    01-20-2013 04:55 PM
    The issue is random... just when people think they've found it, they haven't.

Almost every app has been suggested to date. Simple fact is it's any or all of them because it's the OS!
    It's not the OS on its own. I am trying a vanilla OS, with no additional apps installed, instead a few removed. With only ME tile for notifications and in-built messenger chat for communications. Easily lasts about 26-30 hours. I do have games installed, about 10 Xbox games, listen to Xbox music - streaming and offline. So I think it's only when apps using a certain APIs are installed we might see this. I am inclined towards GPS/radio related issues. But like you said, just when I think, I've found it, tomorrow I might wake up to a bad battery day!
    01-20-2013 04:59 PM
    I'm using 820 and had this problem initially. But I followed one of the tips here - I enable the email delivery as soon as arrive. Then I disable the other notification. I have Whatsapp and constantly received messages so by disabling other notification in setting I do not receive sound notification for Whatsapp anymore. I have enabled CNN, stocks app and few other in background tasks.
    This morning I wake up and my phone still has 73% (about 7 hours since last charge).
    Hope this help.
    01-20-2013 06:24 PM
    It's not the OS on its own. I am trying a vanilla OS, with no additional apps installed, instead a few removed. With only ME tile for notifications and in-built messenger chat for communications. Easily lasts about 26-30 hours. I do have games installed, about 10 Xbox games, listen to Xbox music - streaming and offline. So I think it's only when apps using a certain APIs are installed we might see this. I am inclined towards GPS/radio related issues. But like you said, just when I think, I've found it, tomorrow I might wake up to a bad battery day!

Check out my post regarding "Nokia Music"... this was replicated 3 times from a clean reset phone. I could actually get my phone to idle with basically no CPU. But to do that I had to uninstall the unused Nokia Music app.

It was that that made me decide that my phone was, from a hardware perspective, ok.

Since then though I've chosen to basically ignore the crazy battery usage. I'm completely in agreement that some of the more serious usage is potentially GPS related... phone gets hot when the GPS is in use which to me is definitely a bug in OS or perhaps even lower level firmware issue as we use standalone embedded GPS modules and they don't even get warm.

But even when I back out of all apps, the issues still persist... like the OS is infinitely trying to callback to apps that don't clean up well. Or something similar.

Since we cannot connect a debugger or log into the phone or anything to give a glimpse of what might be happening, we have to just wait until the next OS update.
    01-20-2013 06:57 PM
    Would've been awesome (and probably solve a lot of issues for a lot of people) if MS would've included a proper task manager, which would show what each app is currently doing in terms of CPU/RAM usage, or how often (and for how long) each app was using network/GPS services... Just because WP8 is a "mobile" OS doesn't mean its users should not have access to this kind of info :-/
    01-20-2013 07:05 PM
    Since then though I've chosen to basically ignore the crazy battery usage. I'm completely in agreement that some of the more serious usage is potentially GPS related... phone gets hot when the GPS is in use which to me is definitely a bug in OS or perhaps even lower level firmware issue as we use standalone embedded GPS modules and they don't even get warm.
    I am thinking it's the gps. Today while I was not I noticed almost everytime I turned it on the gps locator sign was showing for a minute or two, the entire time my battery was draining at about 5% an hour today.

I will have to try turning off the location services.

01-20-2013 09:05 PM
    Also check if you the photos are getting uploaded to SkyDrive in the backend.that will consume significant battery.
    01-20-2013 09:25 PM
    Also check if you the photos are getting uploaded to SkyDrive in the backend.that will consume significant battery.
    First thing I disabled was all auto uploads.

01-20-2013 11:32 PM
    Windows 8 seriously needs a way to close apps like Android and iOS. They already have the app list by holding down the back button. They just need to add a swipe to close like Android. It should be a top priority for them. BTW, when I have all apps close, battery life on my 920 is amazing. I'm a light user and I get 2-3 days.
    01-21-2013 12:31 AM
    Windows 8 seriously needs a way to close apps like Android and iOS. They already have the app list by holding down the back button. They just need to add a swipe to close like Android. It should be a top priority for them. BTW, when I have all apps close, battery life on my 920 is amazing. I'm a light user and I get 2-3 days.
    I can reboot my phone(to kill all apps) and still lose 4-6% an hour.

01-21-2013 12:42 AM
    Last night mine when from 100% to 93% over 9 hrs idle with WiFi connected.
    That's what mine used to be like. Then suddenly I started losing at least 50% a night. What's funny is my wife's phone had terrible battery life at the start then suddenly got better recently. Neither of us changed our habits/usage.
    01-21-2013 06:44 AM
    I just exchanged my phone today. Hopefully this one works great.

01-21-2013 09:13 PM
72 123