My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Plug your phone because you never know when your phone will go down from 70% to 0%. I've had it happen to me with an iphone, focus s, ..

Plug my phone every night no matter what unless im testing to see if there is an idle drain.

Whether he shouild or not have to plug his phone, if he wants to be safe, plug the phone. Not everything happens as you expect it to happen.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
My battery life was crazy good. I would only lose like 6-7% over night. Then out of the blue I could lose like 60% or more.

To the jackasses who say "PLUG IT IN DURRRR" - shut up.

Nokia, Microsoft or the devs of whatever app is causing this drain need to fix the problem. When the hurricans ripped through my state we didn't have power for days. My cell stayed charged for 2 days with minimal use. If that happened now my phone would be dead within 18 hours tops without being used at all.

I am tempted to hard reset my phone and only install what I need for apps (I am an app horder) but I shouldn't have to do that. The battery should be better - end of story.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the tip about the back arrow. Back up till you cant go any further.

I had a similar problem. I think that the Draw Something game (which is a well-known terrible port) was eating my battery. This is because it shows tile notifications even when you turn them off, and turn off syncing with xBox. So I'm 99% sure there are some apps out there that were coded poorly and don't follow the rules.

I resolved my issues by taking the following steps. Now I drain at 1-2% / hr.

1) Hard reset phone

2) Before installing any 3rd party apps, go through every crevice of every setting and app. Disable anything (WITHIN REASON - For example, do you really need WiFi on all the time?) that you suspect would eat battery or connect uselessly to the internet. After you get a baseline of your new battery performance, you can re-enable things as desired. Make sure to enable battery saver mode for when your battery gets low. That's a good failsafe.

3) Set up all of your accounts (email, Facebook, etc.)

4) Set email to SYNC "as items arrive". From my experience, this actually uses less battery. Defies logic, but it definitely seems that way. I use 2 accounts: Outlook.com and corporate Exchange. So I don't know if Google sync is an issue, but I'd be willing to guess ;-)

5) Install 3rd party apps (no games yet), one at a time, and tune the settings of each one after you install it, before moving to the next one. Make sure to check if each one is running a background service, and disable it. I only have one background service active (My Stocks Portfolio live tile).

Charge it and use it for a couple of days. Things should improve greatly.

Then you can go install games and see if that's killing you. I'm going 36 hours between charges. The point is to start with a fully optimized system, and not pile on all of your apps and games at once. Optimize the settings, then install apps one at a time, allowing enough time between the killer apps to adequately gauge battery life. It requires patience. But it's the only way you're gonna figure out the real culprit.., slow and methodical process of elimination. For me, it was very well worth it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with blowing up your phone a few times (i.e. hard resetting) in order to figure out the configuration that works best for you. But I came from the wild wild west (a.k.a. Android), where I was hard resetting every 4 days to try to figure out a way to get my battery to last over 5 hours.:grin: I don't miss that.

Um, what you just outlined in your post was 20x more maintenance than I ever did on my Android phones.... I suggest you stop buying HTC or Motorola Android phones.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Exactly

Why is it that I've only heard excuses like this from Windows Phone owners on this forum? I've had a cell phone since 5th grade maybe. So that's a good 12 years or so. I've never had an issue with any of them dying overnight. This includes my iPhone that I had for 2 years. There should be very little discharge from your phone overnight seeing as you aren't using it. So really, charging it is unnecessary. I've never had an issue with my alarm not going off unless I just forgot to set it or turned it off. I love my Lumia 920, but this battery issue is ridiculous. I can't wirelessly charge my phone because it makes the battery drain absurdly fast. Making phone calls sucks because my phone gets hot. That's not normal. I'm getting my phone replaced so hopefully those things will end, but stop making excuses for crappy design. That's something that Apple does. Blame the consumer: Clearly its not a design flaw, you're holding it wrong. So whether it's the phone or the operating system or both, it needs to be fixed.

I agree, Windows Phone fanboys are the worst. Even the editors here.

Novaone

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say Holy S***, some of you cats are real Blowhards.

Sure I usually charge my phone at night, like to keep it above 50% [battery university], but it is anyone's prerogative to choose to do as they please with their.
Consistent 920 battery issues are ridiculous. You users should not settle, high battery while idle is crappy. WP8 need to better regulate background processes?

Nokia is not new to smart phones. 1~2% battery loss over 8 hours is excellent, 3~6% acceptable, 10% high, and going dead abysmal. Why rationalize that?

And confirmation bias in the air is freaking astounding.
My 710 has poor battery life, if I had waited and preordered etc to get a 920, I'd be pissed.

Snow, you tried any sync adjustments?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you returned your device for a replacement?

It sounds like you have a faulty battery in your device, it's an issue that's been known about since launch and in the grand scheme of things is quite rare.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
. . . Besides normally you should only charge your phone for 3 hours . . .

Who said this?

All phone manufacturers know MOST people plug their phones in for overnight charging. They put switches in to turn off charging when the battery is full to protect it. You can't expect folks to wake up at 2 AM to unplug their phones.

Novaone

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Who said this?
All phone manufacturers know MOST people plug their phones in for overnight charging. They put switches in to turn off charging when the battery is full to protect it. You can't expect folks to wake up at 2 AM to unplug their phones.
Yes they have charging circuits, the issue is not over charging but sustained 100% charge.
Over time, it will be cumulative. Of course it is hard to estimate how much capacity is lost this way, many variables. It is also quite unavoidable with charging over night.
And read Battery University for a lot more detail.

restlessdan

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have only ever had this problem once with my lumia 920 when it went from 40% to 10% within an hour, and because it had only happens once I never found out why it drained so quickly. My partner has the same phone and whereas my battery can go 2 day before a charge ( for one day I normally use about 40% on a light day and 80% on a heavy day) but her phone drain about twice as fast both on the same network with identical settings and the only difference I mentioned her was that she uses whatsapp and normally message people through out the day with that and I can only imagine that this is one of those apps which never close even after exiting as it needs to check for replies when using push notifications

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.

If the phone won't last 7 hours when they are NOT using, how do you think it's going to survive the DAY when they are using it?

You sound just like those Apple FanBoyz that think nobody cannot speak a bad word against Apple. I hate those guys.

The fact is that the phone has battery issues... we all know that.... I'm sure they're looking for HELP, not to be called STUPID.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As a electrical engineer who only last week put together a Li-Ion charger design, I can tell you that pretty much all charger ICs these days cut the charger off after a while either once the battery is considered fully charged, or after a timer even if it doesn't believe its charged. At this point it applies no power to the battery, running from external power only.

This means there is no issue leaving the phone plugged in permanently if you want, because once charged, the battery is effectively disconnected.

DavidRoss7

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
No sympathy for people who don't plug their phone in when they're sleeping and then complain about the battery dying.

That's such a small YOU problem its not even worth the bandwidth you wasted starting this thread.
A few days ago I charged my 920 to 100%. I took it off the charger. In the morning, a mere 7 or hours later, the phone was nearly dead.
A couple of days ago the phone was about 80% charged. It died overnight.

During the course of one day, the phone can show an estimated battery life of anywhere from 8 or 9 hours to over 5 days - and the 5 days is AFTER it has shown 8 hours. The estimated battery life is a joke. Right now it is showing 84% left with an estimate of 10 days 8 hours. Yesterday, before I went to be and without charging it, the estimate was about 1.5 days.

For the two examples at the top, I was wondering if it had anything to do with the placement of the phone. For the first one, I had left the phone on top of my covered Kindle Fire. The wi-fi was off on the phone. The Kindle had its screen turned off but it was still active. In the second example, the phone was placed on the paper tray of a wireless printer. Again, the phone's wi-fi was turned off. Cellular data was turned off in both instances also, as was the background refreshing. Not saying if the placement had anything to do with it but I wonder...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
P.S. Also never understood anyone who depends on cell phone alarm. To many things can go wrong there. :shocked:

You kidding me right? I haven't had a standard alarm clock since I first got a phone in 2001!!!
And not once have any failed on me...apart from my current L820.

Anyway, this thread is NOT about missing school - its about the stupid way a WP device went from 70-0 overnight.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Internet Sharing?

Have to wonder if any of you folks with battery complaints have internet sharing enabled. If other devices such as the Kindle mentioned above are trying to connect it could certainly pull more juice than normal.

Just a thought.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Any solutions ?

Sometimes what I do is switch on the battery saver when I go to bed. I know it's not "recommended" (or an actual solution - this is more of a workaround really) but its the best we've got until the guys at Nokrisoft figure out a real solution and give an update.

Side note: Where's my Portico update??

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
As a electrical engineer who only last week put together a Li-Ion charger design, I can tell you that pretty much all charger ICs these days cut the charger off after a while either once the battery is considered fully charged, or after a timer even if it doesn't believe its charged. At this point it applies no power to the battery, running from external power only.

This means there is no issue leaving the phone plugged in permanently if you want, because once charged, the battery is effectively disconnected.

I'm an electrical engineer also and have designed many chargers over the years. What you say is true, but most batteries have a finite numbers of charge cycles they can got through. Why go through a charge cycle every night when you could be doing it other night? Your killing the battery faster charging it every night.

Been doing this stuff for over 30 years and there is a problem here. May be firmware or a hardware problem, but a problem never the less. It needs looked into and fixed.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm an electrical engineer also and have designed many chargers over the years. What you say is true, but most batteries have a finite numbers of charge cycles they can got through. Why go through a charge cycle every night when you could be doing it other night? Your killing the battery faster charging it every night.

Been doing this stuff for over 30 years and there is a problem here. May be firmware or a hardware problem, but a problem never the less. It needs looked into and fixed.

Totally concur on there being a problem. And agree that there are a finite number of charge cycles... although it is a lot... my phone gets a charge once or twice a day only because there is a problem. Would love to charge it every 3rd night!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes what I do is switch on the battery saver when I go to bed. I know it's not "recommended" (or an actual solution - this is more of a workaround really) but its the best we've got until the guys at Nokrisoft figure out a real solution and give an update.

Side note: Where's my Portico update??

Portico makes no difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss