My Lumia 920 went from 70% to 0% while I was sleeping for 7 hours

Ron_2155

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Try turning off NFC (Tap & Send) in settings. My battery was barely making 8 hours from new. After turning off NFC I'm now getting 24-30 hours out of a charge! the other thing to do is completely drain the battery @ least 3 times but its best to do this every time as it will increase your batteries performance & life.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app. Just keep that in mind and watch your background apps.

The battery drain is obviously an issue which I'm sure will be solved eventually. Problems with battery drain happens with almost every new phone launch. Just a matter of time until its fixed. Until then just be careful.

I have NFC, tap to send, and bluetooth on and have still had this happen a couple of times. Appears to be a random bug.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off NFC (Tap & Send) in settings. My battery was barely making 8 hours from new. After turning off NFC I'm now getting 24-30 hours out of a charge! the other thing to do is completely drain the battery @ least 3 times but its best to do this every time as it will increase your batteries performance & life.

Done it. Made no difference.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app. Just keep that in mind and watch your background apps.

The battery drain is obviously an issue which I'm sure will be solved eventually. Problems with battery drain happens with almost every new phone launch. Just a matter of time until its fixed. Until then just be careful.

I have NFC, tap to send, and bluetooth on and have still had this happen a couple of times. Appears to be a random bug.

I've tried it... as you say, a random bug:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/213099-example-battery-randomness.html

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok UPDATE since I last started this thread. I did one of the commenters suggestion, close all apps that got tombstone ie. Pressing the back button all the way until no apps are running in the background. Well and guess what. I lost 5% Batt in 7hours idle. A great improvement to the ridiculous 70% lost in a similar time period. What I conclude from this is, even though apps that are tombstone don't waste battery. In wp8, GPS apps can run in the background. This means even if you have no map apps running in the background, there are other apps that make use of location such as some twitter apps, picture apps etc. (You can see the small round circle icon beside the clock, that means GPS is being used.) Hence when you press the home button instead of the back button to exit a app, the GPS continue running and suck battery. Another thing is that I think whatsapp is a major battery drainer.

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm still gauging my battery usage during normal use while im in school etc as im a hardcore twitter & whatsapp user. Will update results soon.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yea... You have to be careful which apps you allow to be "minimized" or running "invisibly" in background, so using that "back" button each time you put away your phone is a good idea, same goes for occasionally checking "background tasks" menu under "Settings" (especially if you like evaluating buggy/beta/half-finished apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Nokia Drive, Facebook, Twitter and dozens of buggy "battery status" apps).

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Whenever I go into doing something I need to conserve battery life I always do the following.
1) Disable Bluetooth, Wireless
2) Enable Battery Savor
3) Backout of all running apps.

That's honestly all I do, and I just completely a five hour shift and went most the day with my battery and its currently only at 80%. Whenever going to bed I would suggest always turning on battery saver, and maybe create an NFC tag by your bed to automatically enable it?

Also, pertaining an easy charge during the night maybe it could be useful to invest in wireless charging, it certainly helps me in the morning. Not really wanting to use energy to pull the phone of fits cable.

Bug after bug after bug, why even bother. I'm thinking I'll get an iPhone.

That's just a bit of impatience there, WP8 is a brand new software and of course its gonna have its issues. But its also gonna iron those issues out. I owned an android for four to five years before buying my Lumia and compared to android and iPhone this is the most stable phone OS I have ever used. As well, I've never really had any of these issues... not a single one listed and I'd say if you get one of the issues it won't take to long to update it considering Nokia updates all their settings and manages their updates through the marketplace rather then firmware upgrades.

whrocky5092

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Thats how my Lumia 920 used to be, would not even last 4 hours of me sending 20 texts and this is after I got off of work. I am a heavy texter so I was surprised on how fast it drained........So i did with it what I did with my Iphone. I would let the thing die with as much use as possible (games, cnn, gps, music, internet, phone, and texting) until I hit 0%. I did this for a whole week.

Now you wouldn't believe it if I tell you I play a game for 45 min (wheres my water and wordament) and I lose 2% at most and this is while im texting the whole time and the games running in background. I get a whole day out of my phone and when I go to bed I still have 20 percent left. Try that and tell me what happens. Sometimes people need to "break in" the battery

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Today soon as I took my phone off the charger I lost 20% in 2 hours without any running programs (had rebooted it the night before without using anything in the meantime) Then out of the blue without me doing anything the drainage stopped.

I am wondering if it is location services because during those two hours I was driving and it seemed to stop draining when I got to my destination. But I had no map or anything running during that time.

My main issue is if you run ANY app I seem to drain at about 30-40% an hour. Just using a simple app like Board Express Pro shouldn't burn a battery that fast.

Think I may exchange it tomorrow. I have till Wednesday before my 14 days are up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Windows Phone fanboys are the worst. Even the editors here.

You know what's worse than the fanboys? The bitter forum members that build their forum posts up from complaining about the demeanor of the board. By all means, there's four other sister sites

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who complains about being 'dumb not charging their phone overnight' can go F-themselves. That doesn't contribute anything to the problem. One should except litte bit more than 14hours from a cellphone.

I would say that issue has nothing to do with having a 'bad battery', and everything to do with the buggy 'Alarm' app. My battery life is brilliant and can go 1+ day easily with heavy use(what ever that means) 3- days with light use. Never used 'battery saver'. I have plenty of apps installed(mostly reputable) everything allowed to run in the backround. Skype also running always in the backround. Never had experienced any major battery draining, expect with games and Metrotube(haven't used since).

..but, the 'Alarm' app. It seems to drain the battery randomly. I've used it few times succesfully, and 2 times it did drain the battery dead and I woke up late. They are the only times I've found my phone dead in the morning. And yes, I did have plenty of battery left before going to sleep(40-50%+). Otherwise I would have put it in charger. I've seen another topic about this('Alarm app'), the same exact issue on some forum too.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This morning when I took my phone off the charger I noticed the location service icon was on. My battery drained real quick for the first couple hours again. I was down to 80% in a short time. I hit the back button and made sure there was no running programs.

Some how location was stuck on, also I noticed quite often when I launch Gasbuddy to input prices it cant find my location for about 30 seconds. I keep getting can't find your location. Then finally it works.

I am wondering if it is the gps that is causing the issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you guys just check and close apps before you go to bed? Hold back and cycle through each app and hit back to close it. WIth any open app if you press the home button the app runs in the background but if you press back it closes the app..

This isn't true. In Windows Phone there are background tasks, no background apps. The ones in multitasking view are only the ones that are in "tombstoned" state. These apps are essentially paused/screenshots processes that are not alive. Hence we don't need a close button to close apps. As soon as you hit "windows key" - app is stunned to death, but can arise like a zombie (and perform like one if you are whatsapp)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who complains about being 'dumb not charging their phone overnight' can go F-themselves. That doesn't contribute anything to the problem. One should except litte bit more than 14hours from a cellphone.

I would say that issue has nothing to do with having a 'bad battery', and everything to do with the buggy 'Alarm' app. My battery life is brilliant and can go 1+ day easily with heavy use(what ever that means) 3- days with light use. Never used 'battery saver'. I have plenty of apps installed(mostly reputable) everything allowed to run in the backround. Skype also running always in the backround. Never had experienced any major battery draining, expect with games and Metrotube(haven't used since).

..but, the 'Alarm' app. It seems to drain the battery randomly. I've used it few times succesfully, and 2 times it did drain the battery dead and I woke up late. They are the only times I've found my phone dead in the morning. And yes, I did have plenty of battery left before going to sleep(40-50%+). Otherwise I would have put it in charger. I've seen another topic about this('Alarm app'), the same exact issue on some forum too.

That's the first. However, you don't mean the native alarm right?
Because I've lived on that alarm for 2 years without a single issue

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That's the first. However, you don't mean the native alarm right?
Because I've lived on that alarm for 2 years without a single issue

Ok, it's spelled 'Alarms'.. had to check. But yes, I mean the native 'Alarms' app found on my Lumia 920.
Not sure what native alarm app you might refering to. You've used it for 2 years? Maybe the 'alarm' from WP 7.0 and wp 7.5?

*edit* I had maybe 3-4 succesful alarms with little/zero battery drainage. Then I wake up with my phone dead. Ok, I tought maybe that was just a goof. Then 1-2successful wake ups.. but then, that happening a second time is no goof. Like I said, I rarely put it on charger overnight and never had issues 'something mysterious' draining the battery.

My best guess is that, the WP8 in _certain conditions_ (Alarm on + who knows what else required) goes into some f'ed up loop that doesn't ever exit and eats up the battery. Could be a bug in the app or in the WP8.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it's spelled 'Alarms'.. had to check. But yes, I mean the native 'Alarms' app found on my Lumia 920.
Not sure what native alarm app you might refering to. You've used it for 2 years? Maybe the 'alarm' from WP 7.0 and wp 7.5?

Yes it is a system tool more than an app. It has always worked flawlessly without any drain at all in WP7, 7.5, leaked 7.8 and now 8. I use it every night as my primary alarm (I know there are members who think it is stupid to use phone as sole alarm!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo