Lumia 920 is great but WP8 looks bit unstable

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel sorry for you, but I never had a single issue with WP8. It is stable, but I find it incomplete. I hope you will get rid of those unwanted stability issues. I don't know why you are having such a different experience with WP8 than me.

Good luck.

Brad M

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Ive only had my phone for about 24hours and have not seen any of these battery problems. I charged it overnight and since taking it off the charger at 630 this morning I haven't had any abnormal battery drain issues. Ran it pretty hard (all live tiles active, emails, facebook, youtube, nokia music while driving, web browsing, texting, and phone calls) till about 11 and only had about a 30% drain. I know I haven't had it that long but I am very happy with that. Hopefully you just had a bad phone and a replacement works better. Good luck!

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ive only had my phone for about 24hours and have not seen any of these battery problems. I charged it overnight and since taking it off the charger at 630 this morning I haven't had any abnormal battery drain issues. Ran it pretty hard (all live tiles active, emails, facebook, youtube, nokia music while driving, web browsing, texting, and phone calls) till about 11 and only had about a 30% drain. I know I haven't had it that long but I am very happy with that. Hopefully you just had a bad phone and a replacement works better. Good luck!

Most of the issues with Nokias are hit and miss . Their QC doesn't appear to be that great and/or they rushed the phone to market. Doesn't appear to be as many problems with newer batches. If you haven't had any problems consider yourself lucky. I'm on number two and after months of adjustments I have a device I can live with.

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'am just curious, i own 920 with no complaints or issue like others having, i even did the manual portico update and makes my 920 even better in terms of camera and battery..OS concern no issue at all (laptop and phone)...how do others have different issues?..and noticed that most of the people having issues with the OS/920 is with the carriers/locked version..i got my 920 here in thailand no issue/problem at all...just sharing my experience..

Dude its the At&t firmware thats messed up, i know a lot of people who use it in europe and no one has a problem

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm no iOS ******, but just statistically that's unlikely. iOS consumer satisfaction is off the charts, and that's just a fact.

He wasn't saying iOS was unstable, just boring. No one in their right mind would call iOS unstable. And it's not iOS that has the high satisfaction rates, it's Apple.

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I ma a little disappointed after two months of using this amazing phone , the problem for me is software issue ..!
I was really stunned by the smoothness and lag free of the devise but now I really feel it is starting to lose that , now I am having force close and restating and black screen !!!

why ?!! And I am not that kind of people who does install tens of apps !! and try whatever cross their minds ...

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
People having freezing or unstable issues on WP8 might have to do with hardware than software. I couldn't find an app or anything that could freeze the Lumia 920. My iPhone is very stable too, only frozen one time. Android is the worst when it comes to stability. I had at least 5 Android, none of them are as stable as iOS, WP7, and WP8.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You will deeply REGRET your decision. Despite having all these flaws I still love Lumia 920, its a wonderful device. iPhone 5 is not even closer within days you will get bored with it. With lumia 920 I am still exploring so many new things.

As far as OS stability is concerned. Once Nokia launches a complete version of Nokia Drive+ one issue will be eliminated, and I am OPTIMISTIC that within months Nokia will launch some more updates to make the camera much better, by changing the imaging algorithm and adding some softwares for burst shot, face detection and smile detection. The updated firmware will also be optimized to consume less battery

I have had every iPhone version since the first day of the first release. I was an Apple developer and have all Macintsosh at home The iPhone has served me well and there is no doubt that it is a stable and polished OS.

But I was bored with it so instead of the iPhone 5 I purchased a Nokia 920. After 2 weeks I loved it but was unable to sync my music, pictures and videos from Mac to Nokia and so I decided to exchange it for the iPhone 5.

It felt cramped. I actually missed the Live Tiles and Nokia Drive is far better for driving than Maps. So today I exchanged it again for another Nokia 920 and couldn't be happier.

I still feel that the iPhone is a polished, high quality phone and you can't go wrong with it, no doubt. I also see some weak spots in WP and as a new less mature OS that is too be expected. But I really like the Nokia and wanted over the iPhone.

Of course, YMMV and as a tool you have to buy what works for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes Apple provides quality products. In iPhone you will come across less bugs, the OS platform is stable and matured and the hardware devices are of quality the material used is of premiumed quality. Android is buggy. But I iPhone bit boring it is too much simple and I don't find too many exciting things.

When I first got my 920, it would freeze on me every day or so, and sometimes several times a day. I keep all of my apps updated and have the OS update on it. Now I only have one app that will lock up on me, Words with Friends, and that software is known to be poorly written and cause lock ups, though I do not remember if it has frozen since the last update. I back out of every program I do not want to keep running with the back key instead of pressing the home key, and I block background tasks for all the apps I do not need running in the background from the settings screens (which are most of my apps). I have about 200 apps and 75 games installed, and my phone is now rock solid like my previous Samsung Focus was. I do not think it has frozen in a month and a half (except maybe once with the poorly written Words with Friends) and my battery life is outstanding as well. I at first thought I had a bad phone, but I am now convinced that my issues were badly written apps and probably the OS before the update. For me at least, Windows Phone 8 has been ultra stable. I believe apps at this point cause a lot of the issues. I see you have the OS update. You may want to try to disable background tasks for apps you do not need running in the background to make sure it is not an app that is causing your lockups. Or you could have a bad phone. And I have to agree on the Iphone, it would be a downgrade from the Lumia.

Here is the funny thing. Yesterday evening one restarted resulted from 47% to 37%. Yesterday night when i slept the battery was 28% remaining and today when I woke up stil it was showing 28% and still have around 4-5 hours if I don't use heavily.

I always run battery saver and disable background tasks do everything to conserve the battery. I installed battery meter which displays status on live tiles looks bit misleading.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your decision to go to the iPhone 5. I did the same thing, had my 920 for a week and a half before making the switch. I loved the 920, the screen size, speed, memory, price, and the overall new experience. IOS and Android are the same to me so WP8 was refreshing.

BUT the 920's mechanical buttons stopped functioning out of the blue. The capacitive buttons were intermittent. It wasn't until I got to the AT&T store the following day was it able to come back to life. I got a replacement but ended up selling it.

I refuse to have a phone stop working on me in the middle of the day. And not to mention that the app support is lacking. I hated having to sell it because I am still supportive of the platform but in the end I'm a consumer and I need to get my money's worth. I still keep an eye on the current news on WP8 and will eventually come back to it when things are finally where I want them to be.

Unfortunately you can have the same problems with any phone you buy...getting rid of the 920 because of some defects on your particular device was a bit short sighted...my work is 100% iphone (except for me...lol) and we have had a ton of battery issues with our Iphone 4s over the last couple of years with many people have 2-3 replacements....seemed to have calmed down in the last 6 months and we don't anyone with a 5 yet but these things happen from time to time...
however, I can understand if you require apps or something that is not available on WP8...personally there is nothing missing for me on the app side at all but for sure there are niche apps that are missing and some major ones and if that is what makes your phone experience what it needs to be, by all means...
Enjoy your iphone but be aware product problems happen with all manufacturers...

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a cyan 920 AT&T carrier branded/locked since launch and I even installed Portico over the air and not manually... I don't have one single issue... Nokia Drive+ beta is a battery hog but that's why I have a car charger but if I don't use it, I will a get a full day plus more out of my battery.

Today I again used nokia drive and again it was slow, messy, wasen't updating the status fast. Nokia Drive in Lumia 900 was amazing. I hope Nokia fix these defects and release a full release of Nokia Drive +. Should I remove Nokia Drive + to back old Nokia drive? What does + offers?

Last edited:

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Today also I used nokia drive and again it was slow, messy, wasen't updating the status fast. Nokia Drive in Lumia 900 was amazing. I hope Nokia fix these defects and release a full release of Nokia Drive +. Should I remove Nokia Drive + to back old Nokia drive? What does + offers?

It is just a Beta version. You say it is slow, what do you mean by that? Meters later slow? Slow to turn? Mine has gone through the skyscrapers jungle in London without a hitch but i remember issues with phones and antennas before the Nokia N8. If the problem still persists, there is so much a GPS antenna can do, nothing better on iPhone or Android, considering they don't even have a comparable free app at all and that their GPS antennas are nothing better.
Consider I know perfectly the version on Symbian Belle phones, it has all the features you could possibly imagine and stable. Also worth mentioning Nokia Drive Beta on the 920 never crashed. Nokia and Windows Phone will eventually improve it as this is only a Beta version,meaning you are testing it and the app is not complete. My suprise was to find less features compared to the Symbian version, surprise because I didn't research, that's all. It still serves me well.. and it is free! I can't imagine buying world detailed navigation maps with Navigon or Tomtom anymore. They would cost me a fortune as I',m from time to time between several continents.

I don't have any battery issues. Only the first couple of days as the software wasn't completely updated. Now my battery lasts much longer without charge and with intensive use. batteries are batteries..

I also had to notice, I compare my Lumia 920 to a computer, not to other phones anymore. If I do I'm a bit disappointed but I have to remember this is a smartphone, not a computer. Leaving everything: wi-fi, bluetooth, nfc, live tiles, etc, etc.. I mean, not even my Nokia N8 would last that long and Android and iPhone don't do any better while delivering the same computer processing. So I had to reconsider, what I do with the battery and how long it lasts. Sometimes change settings depending on how I plan to use the phone over the day. There is a way to include live tiles to directly click and change the settings rather than having to go through the different levels of the settings menu.
Conclusions? This phone does more with the same power than any other phones I've ever tested or owned.

And when it is the case, I advise anyone to get a battery charger for the office or home and a car charger cable. Wireless charging brings the phone battery use to a different level!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have two 8Xs on VZW that I use all day and have never had an issue with either of them. Way less buggy than my iPad, my old Android phone, or my wife's Android phone.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Today also I used nokia drive and again it was slow, messy, wasen't updating the status fast. Nokia Drive in Lumia 900 was amazing. I hope Nokia fix these defects and release a full release of Nokia Drive +. Should I remove Nokia Drive + to back old Nokia drive? What does + offers?

What area do you live in? I use Nokia drive more than the normal human I haven't seen these issues. I am leaning to defective hardware or maybe tower location issues in your area. If you tell us what area you are traveling in and if you have LTE, 4G in that area it might help narrow down what issue you are having.

I traveled to San Antonio, TX, US last week used Nokia Drive and Navigon daily I didn't have any issues getting around. IFY IMHO San Antonio has some of the worst most confusing streets in the world.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It is just a Beta version. You say it is slow, what do you mean by that? Meters later slow? Slow to turn? Mine has gone through the skyscrapers jungle in London without a hitch but i remember issues with phones and antennas before the Nokia N8. If the problem still persists, there is so much a GPS antenna can do, nothing better on iPhone or Android, considering they don't even have a comparable free app at all and that their GPS antennas are nothing better.
Consider I know perfectly the version on Symbian Belle phones, it has all the features you could possibly imagine and stable. Also worth mentioning Nokia Drive Beta on the 920 never crashed. Nokia and Windows Phone will eventually improve it as this is only a Beta version,meaning you are testing it and the app is not complete. My suprise was to find less features compared to the Symbian version, surprise because I didn't research, that's all. It still serves me well.. and it is free! I can't imagine buying world detailed navigation maps with Navigon or Tomtom anymore. They would cost me a fortune as I',m from time to time between several continents.

I don't have any battery issues. Only the first couple of days as the software wasn't completely updated. Now my battery lasts much longer without charge and with intensive use. batteries are batteries..

I also had to notice, I compare my Lumia 920 to a computer, not to other phones anymore. If I do I'm a bit disappointed but I have to remember this is a smartphone, not a computer. Leaving everything: wi-fi, bluetooth, nfc, live tiles, etc, etc.. I mean, not even my Nokia N8 would last that long and Android and iPhone don't do any better while delivering the same computer processing. So I had to reconsider, what I do with the battery and how long it lasts. Sometimes change settings depending on how I plan to use the phone over the day. There is a way to include live tiles to directly click and change the settings rather than having to go through the different levels of the settings menu.
Conclusions? This phone does more with the same power than any other phones I've ever tested or owned.

And when it is the case, I advise anyone to get a battery charger for the office or home and a car charger cable. Wireless charging brings the phone battery use to a different level!

What area do you live in? I use Nokia drive more than the normal human I haven't seen these issues. I am leaning to defective hardware or maybe tower location issues in your area. If you tell us what area you are traveling in and if you have LTE, 4G in that area it might help narrow down what issue you are having.

I traveled to San Antonio, TX, US last week used Nokia Drive and Navigon daily I didn't have any issues getting around. IFY IMHO San Antonio has some of the worst most confusing streets in the world.

By slow I mean it doesn't update your current location in the map. Usually it freezes or I have to restart it in order to see the current location and then it heats up the handset. There is nothing wrong with location, with my previous Lumia 900 which had Nokia Drive it was running perfect every milli second it shows your current updated location on map when you start the navigation

Last edited:

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the Nokia Drive in offline mode (by downloading the local map to your phone)? Otherwise, by the time your phone manages to download the map via cellular network, it may be time to refresh it by downloading another chunk and so on. It gets worse if you drive at high speed while being zoomed in, it never manages to properly display a map.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Ya no issues here my Nokia drive works great....i still would love to see waze though! Or if Nokia is smart they will add features like waze, can't tell you how many times waze saved me from a traffic jam.

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
... I've had to get 6 Nokia Lumias, but I finally got one that works perfectly.
Wow, you are one patient guy! I would have thrown my third one under the bus.
I am also surprised by Nokia exchanging that many phones. Most other companies would have blamed it on the customer for doing something wrong.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I missed out something. The maps are already there, but your current location in the map isn't updated most of the time. With Nokia Drive in my previous Lumia 900 it was ultra fast, every seconds it happened to update your current location in the maps. Another thing is Nokia Drive + also heats up your device

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, the OS still has lots of bugs. Random battery drains, inconsistencies with hardware due to the OS (capacitive lights don't turn on, screen brightness bug), and problems with music metadata to list a few. But, it's still a newly released OS so I suspect that MS still has a lot of issues to fix in the coming months. I'd say it's pretty comparable to iOS and even Android on Jellybean. Playing with my friend's Nexus 4, I found Android to be quite the smooth experience, contrary to what many folks here say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb