01-27-2013 03:33 AM
50 12
tools
    flashing it is not a hard reset, since you had a bad install, doesn't matter how many times you do it, its the same.
    since it is a bad install, you need to reinstall the OS, which in phones, we called it flashing.
    They are tutorial here, basically its a three step exercise after you backup your data.
    Still surprise where did you bought it and why they didn't give you a replacement.
    Flash it with what? As far as returning it, it wasn't broken when I bought it. It worked. I can't ask the store to take back something that wasn't broken when I got it. That would be dishonest and nothing good comes from that level of petty dishonesty. Sorry, I won't do it.
    01-22-2013 09:00 AM
    Flash it with what? As far as returning it, it wasn't broken when I bought it. It worked. I can't ask the store to take back something that wasn't broken when I got it. That would be dishonest and nothing good comes from that level of petty dishonesty. Sorry, I won't do it.
    wait for what? just go to the nearest nokia care center n give them the phone to fix or they will exchange it .. nokia have the best service center around world wide. well unless you don't have a 920 thats why you can't bring it to the service center to get it replace or change.. they don't even need your prove of purchase
    01-22-2013 09:14 AM
    I haven't updated because if you update via NaviFirm, you have to do a hard reset and I just CBA with that again. Plus the upgrades aren't all that and it can wait. I'm on EE in the UK here
    01-22-2013 09:31 AM
    what is a hard reset anyway?what is the difference between hard and soft reset? just a newbie question ..i updated my 920 thru NCS ,no issues at all...battery life improves and camera as well ...
    01-22-2013 09:45 AM
    That makes so little sense, my brain hurts after reading it.

You are upset at Nokia because you feel they are not exchanging your phone, but you feel dishonest about having a store take it back? Explain please.
    It's not like the store will lose money because of that. They send returns to Nokia and it costs them nothing.
    01-22-2013 10:43 AM
    It's true?

SMS create designs
    Select all text for easy deletion
    Reject call with SMS
    New Wi-Fi settings (WLAN can be activated when the screen timeout)
    Fixed the restart issues
    Improvements in Internet Explorer
    Improved Bluetooth connectivity
    More stable boot sequence
    Improved image quality
    Improved battery management
    Additional platform updates and improvements
    01-22-2013 12:16 PM
    Wi-fi always ON, 'nuff said.
    01-22-2013 02:32 PM
    You guys forgot to list that Nokia addressed the whole "hard reset via settings = brick" glitch.

For those of you hearing about all the glitches attributed to Portico, keep in mind that they make up a smaller percentage of the whole. If everyone that didn't have a problem with their update posted, 99% of you wouldn't have any doubts.
    01-22-2013 02:38 PM
    what is a hard reset anyway?what is the difference between hard and soft reset? just a newbie question ..i updated my 920 thru NCS ,no issues at all...battery life improves and camera as well ...
    Soft reset is somewhat equivalent to restart pc, hard reset is somewhat like restore your pc to the state where you just reinstall windows.

Pardon me, WTF?!
    Is it dishonest to format and reinstall windows?
    Probably you dont even know what does it means flashing you device. It uses public available software tools from Nokia to format and reinstall the WP8 on to your phone.
    It is the reason why people said fruit device is a glorified dumb phone where else the droids are on the other end of the scale.
    Anyways, smart phones is for smart people, at least smart in troubleshoot their own device.
    01-22-2013 03:01 PM
    Portico baby, Portico. I Porticoed and have never looked back. Woot woot
    01-22-2013 03:10 PM
    Actually... I also want to say that the boot up is faster as well. Or it might be just me. Also Techblogger. If you got the phone via contract you can do it through them. Most carriers will do that annoying warranty stuff for you.
    01-22-2013 05:02 PM
    It fixed the bluetooth connectivity problems I was having, so definitely worth it.
    01-22-2013 05:14 PM
    Portico it.
    Wifi always on.
    Much better battery stats.
    Never had random freezes and reboots that mythical stories describe ;)
    01-22-2013 05:24 PM
    My phone was at 83%, so I shut it down an turned it on and it went to 76%, so I did a soft reset and it went to 91%. So soft reset does help to stop whatever is draining battery because in 3 hrs idle it should never do that. Its always after a full charge that I have to restart. Hate this bug. Portico did this.
    01-22-2013 11:59 PM
    This sounds like a simple calibration issue, an update could fix this pretty easily.
    01-23-2013 12:29 AM
    Soft reset is somewhat equivalent to restart pc, hard reset is somewhat like restore your pc to the state where you just reinstall windows.

Pardon me, WTF?!
    Is it dishonest to format and reinstall windows?
    Probably you dont even know what does it means flashing you device. It uses public available software tools from Nokia to format and reinstall the WP8 on to your phone.
    It is the reason why people said fruit device is a glorified dumb phone where else the droids are on the other end of the scale.
    Anyways, smart phones is for smart people, at least smart in troubleshoot their own device.
    You got comprehension issues don't you? I thought you had something to offer the conversation but you started off wrong and stayed that way. lol. Too stupid for words. Let grown folks handle this.
    01-23-2013 01:25 AM
    I would say get it, I really like the WiFi always on and the battery lasts pretty long.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    01-23-2013 01:28 AM
    This sounds like a simple calibration issue, an update could fix this pretty easily.
    that's what I was thinking, but isn't it easy to just send out a quick over the air fix for that? I'm sure many complain. And I get about 16 hrs avg a day, pretty good? No background tasks running
    01-23-2013 01:31 AM
    You got comprehension issues don't you? I thought you had something to offer the conversation but you started off wrong and stayed that way. lol. Too stupid for words. Let grown folks handle this.
    Go your way, just makes you looks stupid. Apparently I am the only ***** to even tried to give you some sensible advice.
    01-23-2013 05:11 AM
    N00B question: How "do you Portico"? via Navifirm? or would it be available via the "Update Phone" option once it is available?
    01-23-2013 07:58 AM
    N00B question: How "do you Portico"? via Navifirm? or would it be available via the "Update Phone" option once it is available?
    i portico my baby 920 via NCS..
    01-23-2013 08:13 AM
    Update phone option should work just fine in this case. Worked for me at least.
    01-23-2013 08:04 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I decided yesterday to go ahead and install the update. I can report 24 hours later that, so far, I have had no problems. I have not noticed the crazy screen brightness issues that some have reported. I have not had any issues with any apps that were already installed. I can't say I've noticed any real speed improvements, but then again, I didn't really have any speed issued before. I have not had the chance to play around with the camera, so I can't comment on any improvements to image quality. Also, my phone use in the past 24 hours was pretty light, so I can't really give an assessment on changes (if any) to battery life.
    01-23-2013 09:25 PM
    Given your attitude, I'd have thought this was XDA.

A reflash just might fix your problem, as Huime previously stated, considering if your problem is the result of a bad install then simply hard resetting will do you no good whatsoever. As for the <i>how</i>, a simple Google search will lead you in the right direction. There's actually a write-up somewhere on these forums.

I'm surprised Nokia was a dead-end for you. More than a few people I know, both online and personally (myself included), have received replacement handsets directly from Nokia. It should be noted that all replacements were received within a week on initiating a ticket.

"As far as returning it, it wasn't broken when I bought it. It worked. I can't ask the store to take back something that wasn't broken when I got it. That would be dishonest and nothing good comes from that level of petty dishonesty. Sorry, I won't do it."

Me thinks your comprehension of how things like this work is a bit lacking, which worries me, considering that you're a tech blogger. If an official OTA update broke something in your phone, then you can either get it replaced or take steps to fix it yourself. There's a huge difference between breaking the handset yourself by whichever means come to mind, and a problem arising from something that came from their end.
    01-23-2013 09:42 PM
    Go your way, just makes you looks stupid. Apparently I am the only ***** to even tried to give you some sensible advice.
    I did, and got it resolved. Not sure what you thought you were offering but it wasn't that heavy. It's a phone. A thing. Not personal. Just business.
    01-27-2013 03:33 AM
50 12