First Batch 920 displays different/inferior to newer batch 920s?

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I have had the cyan 920 since the past 2 months, one of the first batches probably.
One of my friend got his yellow 920 last week and I was comparing the two and happened to notice that the colors on his screen were a tad bit brighter. For example, I selected the yellow theme on both phones and noticed the yellows on my device were a tad muted, slightly having an orange hue to it almost. The yellows on his screen were true to color. I will try to post pics side by side when I can.
Confirmed with couple other friends, and they all came to the same conclusion. I recall reading something like this before on these forums. Is it a fault on the first batch devices? If it is the case, I am slightly disappointed.

Anyone else notice this?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
are you sure it is not the auto brightness setting the brightness at two different levels? do the same test with the auto brightness off if it is on. Also, make sure that both phones are not in power saving modes.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion, but based on all the problems people are having and my own experience with the phone, I think Nokia should be working with carriers to facilitate a full recall on every 920. If they don't have a batch of phones with all the stupid design flaws corrected ready, then allow the user to pick out another phone on Nokia's dime. I've never felt so much buyer's regret with a purchase. There is no reason people should be dealing with random, undiagnosable battery drain, dust in the FFC and every other **** problem this phone has experienced since launch. What hurts the most is the fact that unless I pay cash for another phone, I'm stuck with a defective-by-design P.O.S for a 2yrs. Whats the point in sending the phone back for a problem the next phone will have too, and maybe additional problems right along with it?? I would love to see how many of the 4.4 million they claim to have sold have been returned so far. Microsoft has just as much blame in this as Nokia for shoving a buggy, unfinished OS out the door and not letting devs have a go at the OS until the very minute.

Yes, I am bitter.

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion, but based on all the problems people are having and my own experience with the phone, I think Nokia should be working with carriers to facilitate a full recall on every 920. If they don't have a batch of phones with all the stupid design flaws corrected ready, then allow the user to pick out another phone on Nokia's dime. I've never felt so much buyer's regret with a purchase. There is no reason people should be dealing with random, undiagnosable battery drain, dust in the FFC and every other **** problem this phone has experienced since launch. What hurts the most is the fact that unless I pay cash for another phone, I'm stuck with a defective-by-design P.O.S for a 2yrs. Whats the point in sending the phone back for a problem the next phone will have too, and maybe additional problems right along with it?? I would love to see how many of the 4.4 million they claim to have sold have been returned so far. Microsoft has just as much blame in this as Nokia for shoving a buggy, unfinished OS out the door and not letting devs have a go at the OS until the very minute.

Yes, I am bitter.

Quit acting childish and contact Nokia Customer Care. Explain your issues like an adult and I am sure they will take care of you. Any manufactured device has some bumps out of the gate...common sense. Pissing and moaning on WPCentral isn't going to solve your problems.

My 920...first batch...is amazing and works like a champ. My wife's had minor issues. Nokia addressed her issues quickly.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I am bitter.

Well said!!! I feel the same way, I actually liked my 900 it was a great phone. I'm stuck with this POS 920 for awhile. In march I'll be eligible for an early upgrade, this phone will go in the garbage where it belongs.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Quit acting childish and contact Nokia Customer Care. Explain your issues like an adult and I am sure they will take care of you. Any manufactured device has some bumps out of the gate...common sense. Pissing and moaning on WPCentral isn't going to solve your problems.

My 920...first batch...is amazing and works like a champ. My wife's had minor issues. Nokia addressed her issues quickly.

My phone was replaced with one that has the same issues. What's the point in getting a new phone if they're all defective??

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

why not contact Nokia and have them help you out. Granted, the phones shouldn't have this many issues, especially as widespread as it seems it is. But Nokia support is amazing and they have gone above and beyond any other company I have ever dealt with to get me a perfect phone. They even gave me the free Monster Purity in ear headphones even though I did not get my phone during the promotion or at any of the stores that participated in it.

6th time was the charm for me, works much better than just complaining on a forum. :)

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
why not contact Nokia and have them help you out. Granted, the phones shouldn't have this many issues, especially as widespread as it seems it is. But Nokia support is amazing and they have gone above and beyond any other company I have ever dealt with to get me a perfect phone. They even gave me the free Monster Purity in ear headphones even though I did not get my phone during the promotion or at any of the stores that participated in it.

6th time was the charm for me, works much better than just complaining on a forum. :)

You've had 6 different phones?? If this where a car would you still want to own the same make??

Am I complaining? YES. Do I have any interest in dealing with Nokia again and getting another defective phone? NO. I'll simply get a different phone in a few months, it's just a shame I wasted my time and money. The 920 should be recalled plain and simple, but that will never happen.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I fail to see how I'm being childish for expressing frustration for spending money and being locked in to a device that is all but guaranteed to have problems for the 2 yrs I'm stuck with it. If I could call Nokia and get a replacement that wouldn't have these problems, then I wouldn't be so angered by it. The problem with all of this is you will get a phone that has problems or will develop a problem soon enough because they're all made with the same flaws. Besides, people that are thinking about buying one of these phones need to hear about the problems others have with them. If I had come here (or known about the site) and read up on the phone first, instead of watching Youtube vids and reviews of people who clearly haven't owned the phone for any length of time, I would've gotten an 8x or held out for the Samsung offering. The Lumia 920 is a beautiful phone and the OS is nice, sans problems but face it, Nokia has a lemon on their hands. People are having way too much patience with this phone and seem to spend more time troubleshooting it that actually using it. Why is that ok? In regards to Nokia's supposed outstanding customer service, the best customer service you can get is the kind you never have to use.

Posting problems/complaints about a product is just as valuable as the guy posting praise for the same product. We're all exchanging info here for a reason.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I fail to see how I'm being childish for expressing frustration for spending money and being locked in to a device that is all but guaranteed to have problems for the 2 yrs I'm stuck with it. If I could call Nokia and get a replacement that wouldn't have these problems, then I wouldn't be so angered by it. The problem with all of this is you will get a phone that has problems or will develop a problem soon enough. Besides, people that are thinking about buying one of these phones need to hear about the problems others have with them. If I had come here (or known about the site) and read up on the phone first, instead of watching Youtube vids and reviews of people who clearly haven't owned the phone for any length of time, I would've gotten an 8x or held out for the Samsung offering. The Lumia 920 is a beautiful phone and the OS is nice, sans problems but face it, Nokia has a lemon on their hands.

Again well said, and it's the same reason I've been voicing my opinion here. Fact is most consumer reviews you see on the net, are posted by people that have just purchased a new toy, they know nothing about, particularity long term durability and reliability. The reviews mean nothing.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You've had 6 different phones?? If this where a car would you still want to own the same make??

Am I complaining? YES. Do I have any interest in dealing with Nokia again and getting another defective phone? NO. I'll simply get a different phone in a few months, it's just a shame I wasted my time and money. The 920 should be recalled plain and simple, but that will never happen.
if the auto maker showed the amazing level of customer service, and the car had the amount of innovation this phone has, then yes I would. New products will usually always have problems right out of the gate.

It cost me nothing for Nokia to take care of me and get me a perfect working phone. I've spoken to Matt Rothschild (google him if you don't know who he is) on the phone a couple of times to make sure I was being taken care of. For a company to take this kind of action for a nobody like me, really made me feel like I matter. They earned my loyalty and trust just on what an amazing job they did in making sure I was a satisfied customer. In todays day and age of horrible customer service, the way all of this went down, for me at least, was top notch.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Again well said, and it's the same reason I've been voicing my opinion here. Fact is most consumer reviews you see on the net, are posted by people that have just purchased a new toy, they know nothing about, particularity long term durability and reliability. The reviews mean nothing.

I agree with your statement.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
if the auto maker showed the amazing level of customer service, and the car had the amount of innovation this phone has, then yes I would. New products will usually always have problems right out of the gate.

It cost me nothing for Nokia to take care of me and get me a perfect working phone. I've spoken to Matt Rothschild (google him if you don't know who he is) on the phone a couple of times to make sure I was being taken care of. For a company to take this kind of action for a nobody like me, really made me feel like I matter. They earned my loyalty and trust just on what an amazing job they did in making sure I was a satisfied customer. In todays day and age of horrible customer service, the way all of this went down, for me at least, was top notch.

You may not have had to pay for the service, but you were inconvenienced a total of six times and spent time/effort contacting Nokia to get things taken care of. How long did you go without a fully working phone through all of this? Be honest here, you probably would've rather been doing something else other than replacing your phone 6 times. You've got patience, I'll give you that :)

I respect your views on the phone, but there really isn't anything innovative about the 920. We all like it because it looks pretty and WP8 is different from iOS/Android, and that pretty much sums it up. WP8 has some interesting features but most everything it does has been done before by phones mush older that the 920. Wireless charging is neat, but that wasn't a selling point for me, nor did I buy a charging plate.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You may not have had to pay for the service, but you were inconvenienced a total of six times and spent time/effort contacting Nokia to get things taken care of. How long did you go without a fully working phone through all of this? Be honest here, you probably would've rather been doing something else other than replacing your phone 6 times. You got patience, I'll give you that :)
honestly I never had a non working phone, the only phone I had that was bricked (before the flash fix was posted) I was able to swap at my local at&t store that very day. The other phones were dust in the ff camera, creaky body, and one would get super hot and had terrible battery life.

Nokia, each time, sent the replacement phone out with 2 day shipping and then emailed me a label to ship the defective phone back after I received the replacement.

It never took more than a couple of emails each time to get a replacement, it was actually a very easy process. /shrug

And the low light photos are simply amazing with this phone, as well as the image stabilization when shooting videos, better than most stand alone video cameras. I've gone out and done real world testing with the low light photos vs my HTC titan and it really is an astounding difference.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad they treated you as they should.

However you're missing the big picture. What will happen down the line when the manufacture determines the product is out of warranty and will no longer support their product? Just like a car I would not want something that has so many issues, the likelihood of it failing down the road and out of warranty is almost 100% IMHO. Sorry, but you'd have to be pretty hardheaded to stay with a make that long.

Andre.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)