Might This be the Solution to Battery Issues? For Me it Worked!

MeAndMy920

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
To all my fellow Lumia 920 users that think the phone is awesome but falls short because of battery life:

First of all, I really hesitated to open this thread. If you're reading this forum on a regular basis you will have noticed lots and lots of threads like this. But since I had really bad experiences with my battery, I thought it could be beneficial to other useres if I share my observations.

When I got my phone I did not notice a huge battery drain in the beginning. I was at my parents' house for christmas and headed home to Austria right after New Years Eve. When I got there I soon had terrible issues concerning my battery. It was so bad that one time it drained from 100 to 0 in just three hours(!). I did soft resets, hard resets and tried to calibrate the battery. Nothing worked the least bit. It was so depressing that I decided to send it in and have it repaired (I hoped they'd just give me a new one). When it got back it was just like before. I experienced minimum consumption rates of 10%/h while being at home. But there was one thing that I thought was kind of interesting...

I often left my appartment while having huge battery consumption rates. I soon noticed that the drainage would stop very often when I wasn't at home. How was that possible?

I decided to give the phone a last chance and was eager to locate the problem. First I put the phone in flight mode. I thought if the battery drains with no connections and no apps communicating at all, the case would be hopeless. After a few minutes the consumption rate was near zero. After that I put on the wifi connection (everything else off). The battery still worked very well on a 1%/h rate. I put on mobile data after that in 3g mode. After that the battery went down like before, really bad. I decided to try a 2g connection and experienced a huge improvemen (2%/h). Now it is time to develope a thesis:

1. At my parents' house I had no issues at all using 3g
2. Most of the time I had no issues while not at home using 3g
3. I experienced the most terrible drain when the phone was on my desk or in my bedroom
4. My phone got freakin' hot while using the charging plate at my desk

Observation: The 3g signal is very weak at my desk and in my bedroom. There is nearly no signal.
Thesis: The battery will drain a lot if 3g is activated, there is a signal, but it's very weak.

At home I now activate 2g and wifi and my battery life is awesome. I have easily 24h of battery without recharging. The next step for me is to buy some nfc tags. I want to place them at the entrance and I want them to put my phone in 2g. When I leave the house I will place another one that will put in 3g mode.

Like I said before, there are so many battery threads on this board and each of them offers different solutions. Maybe there are a few people with some time on their hands who could try to support my thesis or raise doubts on it. If sharing my experience would only help a handfull of people I'd be very happy.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
This has been my experience in USA on ATT. Weak LTE/4G signal drains battery very quickly at my office so that battery saver kick in by 4pm; at home (even on work day with same usage) my 920 drains only to 50% over a 12 hour period.

mas90guru

Oct 7, 2003
www.s-consult.com
Isn't this true of most every phone? I just got back from a vacation in a rural area with weak Verizon coverage and my Note 2 batter depleted twice as fast as normal.

siriustds

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes , 3G takes too much of battery life, i use 2G mostly during my day to day work as i have wifi at home and at work and for voice there isnt much difference between 2G/3G.

One of the reasons for lower battery life in some places can be due to the network setting which the mobile operator uses ,it can result in repeated messaging between mobile and the cell tower or maybe due to weak signal strength at your place , there is a lot of handover between the towers which results in high mobile usage during standby mode also, during night time my phone uses 0.1% depletion rate , but during travelling its quite more.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I did a test with my phone about apps running in the background and made a few observations:

With a maximum number of apps being "paused" in the background, my phone's battery dropped about 3-4% every hour on standby.

With no apps being "paused" in the background, and backing out of all apps, my phone's battery dropped about 1% every hour on standby.

I am used to backing out of apps so it's not a problem for me, but for those of you that tend to "home" it instead of "backing out" of apps, I would suggest you back out of apps, make it a habit.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Changing to a slower network will of course help. In the US, AT&T have been ***************** and disabled that option.

However as the graph above shows, power usage is sometimes excessive and there appears no obvious logic other than some process(es) is/are using a lot of CPU in the background sometime - you can tell because power drain is massive and the phone typically gets warm when this happens.

As we are on version 1.0.1 of the NT version of Windows Phone (made up #), I'm sure updates will bring improvement.

Sushovan Majumdar

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Even in India Now I'm using mostly 2G now. At home I have wifi. Other times i have 2G connection. And the battery is too good. However when i want to browse the internet then i switch to 3G. But as told due to above reason the standby battery life for 3G set is very bad. So better keep in 2G when not using any browsers/internet actively.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Observation: The 3g signal is very weak at my desk and in my bedroom. There is nearly no signal.
Thesis: The battery will drain a lot if 3g is activated, there is a signal, but it's very weak.

And you figured this out now? It's pretty much common knowledge that any phone (dumbphone, Android, iOS) will have poorer battery life with weak signal strength. This is because the phone actively ramps up the power on its transmitter.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I did a test with my phone about apps running in the background and made a few observations:

With a maximum number of apps being "paused" in the background, my phone's battery dropped about 3-4% every hour on standby.

With no apps being "paused" in the background, and backing out of all apps, my phone's battery dropped about 1% every hour on standby.

I am used to backing out of apps so it's not a problem for me, but for those of you that tend to "home" it instead of "backing out" of apps, I would suggest you back out of apps, make it a habit.

Don't agree. WP doesn't need to close apps. If its not on your screen, its tombstoned. Only things that run in background are your background tasks and those under advanced tab.

The way multitasking operates in WP means you can home it every time!

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not having any issues with battery life on my Lumia 920, and I'm on 4G and 3G whenever I can be. The only things I've done is that I've set the screen to normal sensitivity, I've also disabled Bluetooth and NFC. I don't know if that helps, and I've changed E-mail sync to "every 15 minutes". Prior to changing those settings, my battery life wasn't all that great, but even though I'm playing games, making calls, texting, using Facebook and Whatsapp,... my phone easily gets through the day. I think what really helps is the E-mail setting. I don't know about Bluetooth and NFC. What I also know though, is that battery monitoring apps actually deplete your battery much faster. Additionally, I check for updates manually, seeing as I know when they're being released anyway, so I don't let my phone check In the background.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't agree. WP doesn't need to close apps. If its not on your screen, its tombstoned. Only things that run in background are your background tasks and those under advanced tab.

The way multitasking operates in WP means you can home it every time!

Trust me I know what you mean cuz I have read about the tombstoning thing but I have tested this effect twice now already and with apps tombstoned in the back ground battery drains faster. Maybe some third party apps are working you never know. I would like you try it out yourself and see what you get.

namurell

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking into this issue for a while. My wife and I both have the 920. I had the exact same issues after I purchased my phone. The battery would drain completely in a matter of a few hours. I tried tweaking all of the settings until i performed a hard reboot one day. After this my battery will last for 2 days under normal use and about 9 hours under heavy use. I still encounter extreme heat issues under heavy use, but that I will leave for another thread. So all I can attribute the issue to is that maybe there was a hung process or application that the reboot solved.
My wife's 920 has been a completely different story. Her phone had the same draining issue and mine. Went through the same steps and was unable to solve the problem. Waited for Portico, and still no resolution. I ended up returning the phone to ATT (as there were issues with the camera being unable to focus as well), they replaced the phone with a new one. She has been using her phone for a couple weeks now and while the camera issue has been solved, the battery consumption has gotten worse. Bluetooth/ NFC is turned off, screen set to normal brightness, etc. Nothing appears to resolve the issue. (noted we are both on 4g with strong signals at the same location with completely different results). Other than I have a black phone and she has the white, I can find no difference in the phones settings. I have talked with several other 920 owners with some having experiences like mine with great battery life, and others with horrible battery life. My opinion at this point is that there is a quality control issue with either the battery production or the phone itself. I plan on returning my wifes phone again to see if the third time will be the charm. If not I may steer her to an 8x.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If not I may steer her to an 8x.
It may not be a hardware-only problem, if you'll look in HTC or Samsung's section of these forums (or other WP-related forums) you will see that some people there also have battery issues (as well as stuff like phones randomly rebooting or not booting at all). WP8 may also play a significant role in this, in which case switching to a different brand of WP8 phone will not really improve your odds at "winning" a "properly working smartphone" lottery ;-)

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Agree with OP. We have woeful reception here (Australia non capital city, enough said) and if I turn off data, the battery last at least twice as long. Can't wait for portico to rollout so I can connect to wifi when its asleep.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
MS, needs to figure this out. Although I'm not up in arms about it like a lot of people, I have still had a handful of occasions where the phone just chews (I thought) through battery. The other day was the case where I had maybe 5% left, so just shutdown the phone on my way home from work. I've seen the battery jump up. after turning the phone back on, so I checked when I got home. The phone was back up to 90% (where it should have been since the phone was not used all day). So.. I don't know anymore. I thought it was rogue programs doing funny things and that may be the case as well. My feeling is that this is not a Nokia issue, but a MS issue that I'm sure will get resolved as time goes by.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786