Gmail wanted to kill my N920 battery but the 920 won !!!

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Nokia vs Gmail = Nokia WIN :devil: ha ha

Just wanted to post my experience in case it helps anyone out.

NL920 owner since Nov - Love it & always had amazing battery life.

Last few days I was not able to get 8 hours even with no use and the phone was super hot.
Read all the threads here and on Nokia support, tried loads of things (battery conditioning, removing known rouge apps, disabling features etc)
None of these things had any effect plus I never had to do them before & I always enjoyed excellent battery life.
Anyway it got to the stage where pretty much everything was disabled apart from my email accounts.

My phone was running hot and the battery draining before my eyes - I went into the account settings page only to see that my Gmail was stuck constantly greyed out & syncing.
I had to turn the phone off and quickly delete the account before it started syncing again.

Hey presto back to amazing battery life with all my background tasks and settings back on just like before.

Not sure what caused this ? - perhaps its the changes that Google have made to gmail recently - I don't really care what google do as I have pretty much finished my transition to outlook.com and the gmail account was soon to be deleted anyway.

In all the battery life threads I have read I have not seen one where the cause is an account permanently syncing so I hope my post helps at least someone

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
let me know how it goes.

I deleted my account totally as like I say it was stuck on permanent sync.

Perhaps just the action of syncing with Gmail can make it stick in constant as I am not sure if the issue is related to it being manual or timed sync.

Might be worth checking in the account setting page after you have manually synced and downloaded any mail if it is stuck or not

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
let me know how it goes.

I deleted my account totally as like I say it was stuck on permanent sync.

Perhaps just the action of syncing with Gmail can make it stick in constant as I am not sure if the issue is related to it being manual or timed sync.

Might be worth checking in the account setting page after you have manually synced and downloaded any mail if it is stuck or not

did you have your gmail set up as active sync? if so then thats probably the issue since gmail is dropping support for that. i have 2 gmail email accounts on my lumia 920 set up as regular email account and the settings are pointing to m.google.com and i am not getting the constant sync issue.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
did you have your gmail set up as active sync? if so then thats probably the issue since gmail is dropping support for that. i have 2 gmail email accounts on my lumia 920 set up as regular email account and the settings are pointing to m.google.com and i am not getting the constant sync issue.

Cant be 100% sure if it was active sync or not (I wasn't using Gmail for contacts or calendar) just mail and like your it was set up just as a mail account.
Like I say have been ditching Gmail over the last few months anyway so not overly concerned

Just glad my battery issue sorted and I can go back to loving my phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6