Gorilla Glass

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The glass on this phone really sucks, dropped it on accident and the screen spider cracked all over it. I had a HTC Trophy that I accidently dropped and it didn't even scratch the screen.....way to go Nokia
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmm.... I'm not sure why you are thanking Nokia. You dropped the phone.

It doesn't matter what glass or phone you have, if you drop it at the right angle, it is going to break. You could drop the Nokia ten times with no issue and the one time it strikes the floor just right, it is going to break.

Unless the phone is a Tough Phone type device, they simply are not designed to be dropped.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.... I'm not sure why you are thanking Nokia. You dropped the phone.

It doesn't matter what glass or phone you have, if you drop it at the right angle, it is going to break. You could drop the Nokia ten times with no issue and the one time it strikes the floor just right, it is going to break.

Unless the phone is a Tough Phone type device, they simply are not designed to be dropped.

As much as I agree that no one else can be blamed for YOU dropping your phone, I'm starting to think there are some defects with the glass used by Nokia. For example, I got a huge scratch through my invisible shield screen protector.... still can't figure that one out.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
As much as I agree that no one else can be blamed for YOU dropping your phone, I'm starting to think there are some defects with the glass used by Nokia. For example, I got a huge scratch through my invisible shield screen protector.... still can't figure that one out.

So far I have been lucky as far as scratches go. I've got the 920 wrapped front and back with a Zagg.

Isn't the iPhone 4/4s equiped with Gorilla glass front and back? I had several of those, and dropped them without issue. And dropped one once and the screen shattered.

On the Nokia I am surprised that the screen is raised as much as it is, and I wonder if that doesn't make it more susceptible to damage.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
They could build a device that wouldn't break no matter how you dropped it. And..... Nobody would buy it as it would be the size of an Otterbox. If you want big screens and thin phones, there has to be compromise somewhere. If you are going to drop phone the odds of screen cracking are pretty good. How do you think your laptop would fair with a 4' drop? You can take every phone on the market and drop them 10 times and every one would crack in one of those drops. It sucks, but thin is in and phones are fragile.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
On the Nokia I am surprised that the screen is raised as much as it is, and I wonder if that doesn't make it more susceptible to damage.

I'm pretty sure it is. Everybody was writing what a rock the Lumia 800 was supposed to be, it fell once to the ground, the screen was shattered. My Omnia 7 and Omnia W took multiple falls, and nothing happened. Sure, it's also about bad luck that it lands on the screen...

The 8X has the also a raised screen, I'm just waiting for the day I break this one ;-)

To the OP: Gorilla glass does not make your screen unbreakable, it just makes it more resistant to scratches.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I work construction and I have seen guys pull out their new thin, large screen phone out of their pocket at lunch to be greeted with a cracked screen.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it is. Everybody was writing what a rock the Lumia 800 was supposed to be, it fell once to the ground, the screen was shattered. My Omnia 7 and Omnia W took multiple falls, and nothing happened. Sure, it's also about bad luck that it lands on the screen...

The 8X has the also a raised screen, I'm just waiting for the day I break this one ;-)

To the OP: Gorilla glass does not make your screen unbreakable, it just makes it more resistant to scratches.

I've read stories in which Lumia 900 survived 2 story fall. Lumia 920 having gorilla glass 2 should be much better

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I've read stories in which Lumia 900 survived 2 story fall. Lumia 920 having gorilla glass 2 should be much better

I've read the OP's story of letting a 920 fall once, and it broke. I believe him of course, due to my own experience with the 800 even more.

It always depends on how the phone lands.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Agree with everyone else here. Marketing has convinced us GG is indestructible, which is utter BS. I've owned a L800 since release and it's been dropped so many times I've lost count... even accidentally kicked it across pavement. No problem. That doesn't mean the next drop from a table won't shatter the screen.

Some luck is required. Without it, any none rugged phone is going back for repair.

GG is designed to be scratch resistant, meaning it is hard.... but as most people know, what is hard is also brittle. You can't optimize both qualities in glass at the same time.

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I never said it was their fault, I. Just said it was supposed to be more durable, you don't have to be a rude ******* about it
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass (any version of it) is just a damage-resistant glass, it was never officially promoted as "indestructible" (blame all those YouTube ******s who simply got lucky when doing all those random "drop tests", "knife tests" and such). It's all a matter of how exactly your phone will hit the ground - I've dropped both my Lumia 920 and iPhone 4s several times on hard surface, both didn't get any physical damage from it (not even a scratch) and I know some people who shattered their iPhone 4's display by accidentally hitting a piece of hard furniture while still holding it in their hand... Sooo... Yea, just be careful with yours and don't take YouTube "test" videos seriously ;-)

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Lumia handsets are bit heavy compared to HTC and Samsung thats why when they fall, it puts more pressure on glass thus resulting in scartches

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It depends on how it falls.

Once you drop your phone, it's a lottery honestly. Of course, the glass protruding doesn't help on the Lumia 920 since they have those tapered edges on the screen so your finger slides off nicer. If it lands at a certain angle, it's most likely the first thing to strike the ground.

Buy a bumper case or something if you want to save the screen from cracking.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820 and an 18 month-old at home, and as much as I try to keep them both separate, she's gotten hold of and happily thrown my phone at the floor at least a dozen times in the one month I've had it.

Fortunately I only have one small scratch from all this abuse and I was surprised to learn that the 820 doesn't even come with Gorilla Glass.
Ultimately I guess it's not the glass - but the way the phone falls.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately I only have one small scratch from all this abuse and I was surprised to learn that the 820 doesn't even come with Gorilla Glass.

But the 820 also comes with tempered glass. GG is just the most well known of all tempered glasses... primarily because the most marketing dollars were poured into it... no big difference to any other tempered glass, except being expensive and having an affect on marketability.

Listing the material properties of the glass used in the display would be much more helpful than throwing around the marketing term GG, but at least you need not worry... you've also got tempered glass on your 820.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's a crap shoot. People will drop the same phone from the same height and one will break where the other doesn't. It's all about how it lands.

I will say that I think the Lumia 920, like the iPhone is a bit more susceptible to breakage because the glass goes so close to the edge. Also, based on how I broke my first Lumia 920, I'd say that the phone is more susceptible to flexing. One corner of the screen broke, but then I also had a crack right across the middle of the screen.

Gorilla glass is noted for scratch resistance, not withstanding impacts. The force experienced in a drop is far beyond the strength of the glass, even if it's better than conventional glass.

My first phone fell screen first and slid a few feet on asphalt and got no scratches. My current Lumia 920, despite care in handling and empty pockets, managed to acquire a 2mm scratch towards the edge of the screen. I had my previous phone for nearly 2 years before it picked up a scratch. Go figure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs