Gorilla Glass

TonePhone

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The glass is terrible on some of these devices. Mine has major scratches and my friends is scratch free and really strong. It's clear to me that not all of these devices were manufactured the same.

JacksonSQD

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but forum posts like this are just blatantly stupid.
It's Gorilla GLASS.
Glass. G-L-A-S-S.
Which conveniently happens to be SHATTER PRONE.
You're an idiot to think otherwise, especially when the glass is so thin on a somewhat large smartphone. Not to mention the glass is convexed, which just adds to the potential damage.

TonePhone

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think you would have to be an idiot to not realize that people who have had multiple Gorilla Glass branded devices find this to be the most damage prone handset they have had.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I used a droid3 (gorilla glass 1 I think) for 2 years naked. Didn't treat it very gently. Survived a few drops onto concrete and LOTS of shuffling in front pocket. Body shows some wear but screen is like new.

Wife had 8x, very clear scratch shows up within first 3 days of gentle use. I'm like wtf. Figure it's a mfg defect, darn, need to get a screen protector.

I get Nokia 822, going good. Then a clear scratch within first 3 weeks. Wtf.

As an industrial engineer, I hate anecdotal stories of people extrapolating their one experience as indicative of all experiences. This is especially true in message boards and reviews where negative experiences will be voiced more often.

That being said, I'm still surprised to find my particular gorilla glass 2 devices way more scratch prone than the previous generation. Yes I am aware that it may be the anti glare coating that is scratching and that the glass itself may be more durable. If true, that is still a problem since a scratch is a scratch, regardless of how deep it is. And these particular ones are deep. Can feel them with my eyes closed and see them against any color background.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 for 30 min, it slipped out of my hands onto my wood floor (why did I listen tot he sales girl and get the dumb flip case thing..). The screen didn't break, but the LCD inside did. What a piece of crap that was. I replaced the LCD and returned it the next week. All hones can break, just a fact of life.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 for 30 min, it slipped out of my hands onto my wood floor (why did I listen tot he sales girl and get the dumb flip case thing..). The screen didn't break, but the LCD inside did. What a piece of crap that was. I replaced the LCD and returned it the next week. All hones can break, just a fact of life.

I did the same with my 920... thankfully other than a scuff it survived. Kind of annoyed my brand new phone was instantly not brand new though.

Treated it more carefully since as these are slippery!

cthulhucometh

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the glass being raised up is the problem, I never said it was indestructible but it broke very easily because of the raised screen. And there may be some truth to some models may have had weaker glass on them than others
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the glass being raised up is the problem, I neve said it was indestructible but it broke very easily because of the raised screen.

It isn't that simple. The screen is also raised on the Lumia 800, but rarely do we hear of shattered glass for that device.

Mass, screen diameter, glass type and thickness, the protection offered by the bezels. It all plays a role. I don't think any of us here are qualified to judge exactly where the weak spots are. We can only conclude that shattered glass is somewhat more of a problem for the Lumia 920 than for some other phones, although it seems to me the iPhone has even more problems in that area.

Last edited:

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe you are all trying to find some scientific reason for why the screen shatters on the Lumia 920.

Gorilla Glass isn't meant to be shatterproof or something magical, it's just more resilient and scratch resistent (so they say).

If you drop your phone (any phone) you enter the possibility of the screen cracking, that's it.

If you want to almost guarantee protection from scratches, buy a screen protector. If you want to protect it from drops/possibly cracking the screen, buy a case that will suffice in doing so. It really isn't that complicated lol.

The phones are designed to be dropped just like a car isn't designed to be crashed. With a car, you invest in insurance. With a phone, invest in a protective case until technology comes out where you won't need a case anymore.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass isn't meant to be shatterproof or something magical

But... But... All those YouTube videos promised me that my Lumia 920 is totally drop-proof, knife-proof and tennis ball-proof! How can you not trust the random people from YouTubes who are using highly scientific methods and very precise test instruments???? 😉 😁

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So this evening my wife came in and I look at her phone and say what did you do? The screen protector looked as though it had a load of dust dots over it.

He response was "Oh yeah, I er, was getting out the car and dropped it straight down on the ground". At which point I thought ouch or something very similar.

I took it off her and took off the screen protector, expecting to see some chips or something. Nothing. Looked like new.

So thankful for that screen protector! And so thankful that it didn't otherwise shatter - I think it's down to the angle of impact and face down must be a safe angle.

It also is in a rubber skin, so that likely helped too... yes, I know my wife well, all protective devices required!

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
guys c'mon give that Gorilla a break... Let's try this on ourselves...... if we happen fall on our butts, its all back to action again, worst case we fall on our face ... we talking a couple of broken teeth... So its all about how you things meet impact...as JerseySal said its still destruct-able.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
guys c'mon give that Gorilla a break... Let's try this on ourselves...... if we happen fall on our butts, its all back to action again, worst case we fall on our face ... we talking a couple of broken teeth... So its all about how you things meet impact...as JerseySal said its still destruct-able.

I'm a little biased, as I work a lot with Corning. LOL

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
...I had an HTC Titan that fell out of my hand from the height of my pocket. I cushioned the impact with my foot, and it landed pretty softly on my kitchen floor. The effing screen cracked like I did an elbow drop onto in from my rooftop. Before that, that phone flew across the street as I was getting out of my car and forgetting it was on my lap.(not a scratch) I've also accidentally stepped on it a few times. (no damage) I've come to the conclusion that it's all up to the phone Gods whether our screens stay intact or not.

38382-0-true-story.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte