UK: Portico available on EE

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Any idea when it is coming?

I do worry about the quality control on the software. I cannot understand why it seems they don't do any. I'm not hating, I do realise that they must do some, I just think that there are some glaring problems that they seem to ignore. The sound issues that I had previously seem to have been mainly a software issue as Portico has seriously reduced them. I feel sorry for Nokia as I replaced the phone so that means they made less money on my purchase, can't be any good for their balance sheet.

I think some announcement should be after/during MWC. But I won't hold my breath. It is 6 months+ since announcement of WP8. 3 months+ since launch of phones. However, RIM did a much better job at having handsets out in just 24 hours in CPW! I know it's just 2 handsets, but they are available for anyone to try out and buy, we waited 3 months and yet have buggy OS to deal with. But there is hope..

peterw1000

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I too have updated my Lumia 920 with 8.0.10211.204 this week and have started to have problems with lost connection to the phone network and the battery life has gone much worse. The phone used to easily last a day but now runs out at about 6pm with normal usage.
It looks like the update has done something negative, but what. Nokia/Microsoft sort it out please as you are spoiling a great experience as I have been an iPhone user for the last 4 years and the WP 8 and Limia experience has been great so far.

GUINEPIG2

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It is because under settings - mobile networks - your phone is set to have 4G as highest connection. Since you are on OrangeEE, you won't get 4G. Change that to 3G and your phone will stop looking for 4G. With that setting you will drain your phone in less than 6 hours!

Just signed up to the forum to say a big thank you. Was very happy with my 920 until this update, since which battery life has been rubbish, and also had loss of signal. Since setting highest connection to 3G, the battery life seems almost back to normal. Hoping a few more charging cycles will completely sort it. Thanks again

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It took couple days to get back to normal battery life for me after the Portico update. Samething when I first got the phone, battery life improved after a week.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just signed up to the forum to say a big thank you. Was very happy with my 920 until this update, since which battery life has been rubbish, and also had loss of signal. Since setting highest connection to 3G, the battery life seems almost back to normal. Hoping a few more charging cycles will completely sort it. Thanks again

Welcome to WPC :)
Glad my post made you sign up, visit these forums often. Apart from regular whining and crying for the greatest and the latest (Instagram and bird games) we do usually talk about good stuff and help out each other to get the best out of devices. It's a lovely community! Hope you'll come here more often.
A couple of discharge-charge cycles will make the battery as robust as it was before the update. I think Portico update resets many settings like brightness, proximity sensor and radios. The only thing we can't change is brightness at the moment, so if you find your phone too bright generally, switch off autobrightness and keep it to low as well, helps further the battery life.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed something missing in Portico. I was about to change my speed to 2G (it isn't visible in settings even though I'm on T-Mo, that's what you get for buying your phone locked from Phones4U, it's using EE firmware), and was about to do the Field Test (##3282#) and... nothing happened. So, with 3G/4G being the only options on my phone (and I can't even use 4G because I'm not on EE), and Field Test not working, how can I lock my phone to 2G signal using the firmware I am (I point blank refuse to load different firmware, unless it's firmware from an update pushed to my phone).

Nvm, Bing Google brought up the answer. Use ##3282 then hit call (instead of ##3282#)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211663-field-test-mode-portico.html

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed something missing in Portico. I was about to change my speed to 2G (it isn't visible in settings even though I'm on T-Mo, that's what you get for buying your phone locked from Phones4U, it's using EE firmware), and was about to do the Field Test (##3282#) and... nothing happened. So, with 3G/4G being the only options on my phone (and I can't even use 4G because I'm not on EE), and Field Test not working, how can I lock my phone to 2G signal using the firmware I am (I point blank refuse to load different firmware, unless it's firmware from an update pushed to my phone).

Nvm, Bing Google brought up the answer. Use ##3282 then hit call (instead of ##3282#)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/211663-field-test-mode-portico.html

Or if you aren't too fussed, you can still get the older firmware from Navifirm with 2g/3g/4g options. I've had a screen shot in one of the pages of this thread. One of my Lumias is running older firmware for some reason, and its from OTA, not Navifirm.

With that field test, what I've done in past is add that number as "2G Toggle" on my phonebook. Pin a small tile that says 2G toggle on my start screen, so I just tap, call, settings, change 2G.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
With that field test, what I've done in past is add that number as "2G Toggle" on my phonebook. Pin a small tile that says 2G toggle on my start screen, so I just tap, call, settings, change 2G.

I like that idea. Probably won't do it as I should be able to remember ##3282 but nonetheless that idea is sweet.

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Network_Selection

Is the toggle ENS switch - I'm sure EE must be using ENS across the Orange T-Mobile networks - was this enabled pre portico and then disabled afterwards ? I never checked mine before portico to know.

Do a ##3382 and have a look if yours is disabled. (Pre portico is ##3282#) then hit the dots at the bottom right and then settings.

Be interesting to see if they disabled ENS by accident on the update to portico explaining our signal issues (phone will sit on the home network sim signal rather than going for the strongest signal).

Thanks
DM

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah after portico it's that, before its the other code.

If EE are using ENS on the Orange / T-Mobile networks then yeah it will help otherwise your phone will sit on its home network (Whoever supplied the sim - orange or t-mobile) and will only switch when there is no coverage as opposed to when it finds a stronger or better signal.

If they're not using ENS then this is all mute.

If people still have the firmware before portico and can tell us whether this toggle was on or off that would help us a bit as well.

What with Orange and T-Mobile decommissioning masts where they have too many it's important that our phones can use the ones that are available properly.

Even though they've renamed the networks to one common name (EE) the phones still see them as different networks with different MNCs (mobile network codes)

Thanks
DM

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh and incase anyone wanted to know 4GEE (EE) SIM cards are actually T-Mobile SIM cards with a few extra settings on them to allow access to the LTE network which is built on T-Mobiles MNC.

All of EE (the 4g network operator) is basically built on the T-Mobile systems and sims just rebranded as EE.

T-Mobile had much newer systems than Orange so that's why they did it that way.

So to recap :

Orange sim : home network Orange EE masts and MNC
T-Mobile sim : home network T-Mobile EE masts and MNC
EE sim : home network T-Mobile EE masts and MNC with LTE access enabled

Thanks
DM

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
EE-Orange : 234-33/34
EE-T-Mobile : 234-30/31/32

Are the MCC-MNC for each networks masts.

You can check which network you're attached to under the GSM/WCDMA/LTE headings on the field test menu depending on what type of network the phone is currently connected to.

Thanks
DM

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
EE-Orange : 234-33/34
EE-T-Mobile : 234-30/31/32

Are the MCC-MNC for each networks masts.

You can check which network you're attached to under the GSM/WCDMA/LTE headings on the field test menu depending on what type of network the phone is currently connected to.

Thanks
DM

Orange customer here:

MCC-MNC under WCDMA is 234-30 which by the looks of it indicates Tmob/EE?

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That is correct - you are currently connected to a T-Mobile 3G mast.

Did you toggle ENS ?

However this doesn't tell us anything as even with ENS on or off you could just be in an area with only a T-Mobile 3G mast so ENS would be mute in this instance as the phone would then forcibly roam onto another network.

Thanks
DM

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I turned this option on, afterwards my phone would not pick up 4G, changed it back and it picked up 4G straight away, maybe it is set to off for a reason...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss