UK: Portico available on EE

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Today is my first day with ENS on and it has made a difference, in my case at least. I am on Virgin (no 4G then) and I have one of the P4U "sim free" jobbies, hence EE firmware.

My battery drain has dropped from 4.5%-5% per hour to sub 3% and almost nothing last night at home (very poor reception) where it usually drained 2%-3% per hour before.

It seems the firmware settings are optimised for the EE network (duh), I would be very interested to find out what this setting is for the unlocked devices (e.g.from Clove) as they haven't had Portico yet from what I understand.

DangerMouseUK

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I turned this option on, afterwards my phone would not pick up 4G, changed it back and it picked up 4G straight away, maybe it is set to off for a reason...

Hey MF73 - to be honest I don't have much working knowledge of ENS & LTE -> I presume you're an EE 4G customer with a 4G USIM

To be honest I don't even know if EE are using ENS on their Orange/T-Mobile GSM Masts - I can say I've toggled ENS on and I can't notice any loss of signal due to it being on. Then again I'm not a 4G customer, I'm Orange 3G.

I will say that like the above poster, my batter life seems comparatively better with ENS set to on but I will wait this one out and get back to everyone when I know what's what.

Out of interest did you turn ENS on then back out of the field test menu and then reboot the phone before seeing if it would go to 4G ? Field Test has a knack of knocking the phone into GSM mode for some reason.

Thanks
DM

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Today is my first day with ENS on and it has made a difference, in my case at least. I am on Virgin (no 4G then) and I have one of the P4U "sim free" jobbies, hence EE firmware.

My battery drain has dropped from 4.5%-5% per hour to sub 3% and almost nothing last night at home (very poor reception) where it usually drained 2%-3% per hour before.

It seems the firmware settings are optimised for the EE network (duh), I would be very interested to find out what this setting is for the unlocked devices (e.g.from Clove) as they haven't had Portico yet from what I understand.

ENS is off on my 920 purchased from Clove.

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
If you're an Orange or T-Mobile customer try setting ENS on in Field Test and turning network mode to 3G and below (in the normal settings not field test) and see how you get on regarding signal strength and battery life.

I'm on Orange and had neither signal strength nor battery life problems so far, also there is no 4G option on Unbranded UK devices at the moment. Will be interesting to see if Portico eventually changes that.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're an Orange or T-Mobile customer try setting ENS on in Field Test and turning network mode to 3G and below (in the normal settings not field test) and see how you get on regarding signal strength and battery life.

As far as my knowledge of ENS goes, I was under an impression that ENS requires ENS-enabled SIM and ENS-enabled handset. Clearly handsets can be toggled, but are our SIMs supposed to be by default ENS enabled? Or are we seeing just a placebo?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Orange and had neither signal strength nor battery life problems so far, also there is no 4G option on Unbranded UK devices at the moment. Will be interesting to see if Portico eventually changes that.

Portico actually removes 2G and adds 4G option in new Nokia firmware.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre