light leakage at top of screen

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just for the first time changed my theme from the white background to the black one, however I have noticed there is quite a bit of light leakage at the top of the screen and also just above the windows logo, although not as bad as the one at the top.
I have e mailed nokia, however anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved.

Thanks.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep.....all four of mine had it. Poor quality control :(

Not to further exasperate you, but if you go to a dark room/area, and bring up a full size black image/dark image, you'll notice you have light leak on most of the length of either the left or ride sides of the phone screen..(or if you're really unlucky, both.) It will look like a long very thin 'line' of it. The side that has the light leak will usually also stick out a bit more in terms of where it meets the polycarbonate and is not flush with the body. You'll notice if you push the screen down on these thin lines of light they mostly disappear - indicating either loosened glue or just shoddy build quality. Very disappointing and unfortunately something that might well get worse with time.

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Pictures would be good. If it's really LCD leakage, it's a hardware defect and you fix it by getting it replaced/repaired. It doesn't seem to be a majorly widespread issue and Nokia looks to be quick to replace it for you from what I've read.

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
mines doesn't disappear when pressed, and if anything the light leakage looks bigger , practically along the whole of the top of the phone, from one side to just past the Nokia logo. You only really notice it when dark at night, or at an angle during the day.
I have also noticed when the phone vibrates now it doesnt sound right, dont know if it is related to this.
I have to send the phone to Nokia, I hope they replace it.

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
mines doesn't disappear when pressed, and if anything the light leakage looks bigger , practically along the whole of the top of the phone, from one side to just past the Nokia logo. You only really notice it when dark at night, or at an angle during the day.
I have also noticed when the phone vibrates now it doesnt sound right, dont know if it is related to this.
I have to send the phone to Nokia, I hope they replace it.

Yes, they ARE related. The vibration rattle is one of the often cited issues with this phone on these forums. Problem is though, there are two types of rattle. There's the 'normal' rattle that a perfectly good 920 has - which is like a normal vibrate with a SLIGHT rattle/buzz at the beginning of the text/call/power-up. And there's also a much worse 'broken' sounding rattle that occurs because the screen is not fastened correctly/has come loose. As expected, those with the latter will also have the light leaking from the backlight. It's all connected.

Only option would be to replace phone or refund phone and buy from a newer batch. Having said that I've been through four now and they all seem the same so if you're hearts set on the 920 might have to put up with it. Having said THAT though, there are plenty on this forum who insist they have none of these issues. But as I say, Ive been through 4....from different shops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes