I am lazy to wait the software update

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Since we all see the source of all region updates, but up until now over months, I see no update available to my Lumia 920, I just want my back camera to take sharper photo. Moreover the front one take too soft photo, is the new portico update fix the front cam issue as well?
But if the supplier both Nokia and Microsoft give less support like this, next phone I will move back to Android (Sony) or iOS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: I am lazy to wait the software update, this might be my last Nokia phone as of window phones.

Luckily I have a Nexus 7 tablet, so most of the time I am on it. My lumia 920 now is used only for phone call and photograph.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am lazy to wait the software update, this might be my last Nokia phone as of window phones.

The phone has only been out 4 months. Do we expect weekly updates these days?

It takes time to get updates approved by each cellular provider - the delay is often not the manufacturer. We know the update has been around for 2 months, so the delay is not with Nokia or Microsoft.

Also be happy that we do get updates! It was very recently that your purchased a phone and that was your phone forever, with no improvements. These days we now get 2 or 3 updates a year adding new features and fixing issues which I think it great!

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It fixes front facing and rear camera. And android sure as **** isn't the best with updating either. It just takes patience unfortunately, but it will def be worth it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I sincerely hope that you are joking about leaving Windows Phone for iOS or Android over updating. iOS only gives one meaningful update per year--we've gotten one with Windows Phone after 2-3 months.

Android gives you about a year of support TOTAL. I had an HTC Droid Incredible, and I got one significant update to it in the 2 years I had it (from 2.2 to 2.3). The issue is typically a carrier-based one, not an OEM- or OS-based one.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Ya, leaving WP8 for Android/iOS because of updates is like going from a Civic to a Hummer because you want better gas mileage. Flawed logic!

The phone has been out for just 3 months, patience is virtue.

VoodooKing#WP

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

So you're lazy to wait for updates and not lazy to dump WP8 for Android that has a questionable update history? Love the logic there.

anon(4745364)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am lazy to wait the software update, this might be my last Nokia phone as of window phones.

Ya, leaving WP8 for Android/iOS because of updates is like going from a Civic to a Hummer because you want better gas mileage. Flawed logic!

I feel the phone shipped with a "half baked" OS so the last update should have been a big one. Unfortunately it wasn't and knowing most people don't even have that update yet makes me even more frustrated thinking about how long the next one will be.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I just wish we had some sort of timeline from MS or Nokia. I know carriers screw that up, but a "Hey, we are working on this, this and this for next update which is coming xx/xx/2013". I understand how tech works now days and I know everything has its shortfalls and needs an update. I just hate being in the dark. I like second Tuesday updates from MS. I wish they could have pushed thru the carrier bypass for updates. I think we would be a little more informed if carriers weren't involved.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Since we all see the source of all region updates, but up until now over months, I see no update available to my Lumia 920, I just want my back camera to take sharper photo. Moreover the front one take too soft photo, is the new portico update fix the front cam issue as well?
But if the supplier both Nokia and Microsoft give less support like this, next phone I will move back to Android (Sony) or iOS

Well, if you go and leave windows phone, forget it! Nokia/MS should just shut it down! it is all over!

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

The phone has only been out 4 months. Do we expect weekly updates these days?

It takes time to get updates approved by each cellular provider - the delay is often not the manufacturer. We know the update has been around for 2 months, so the delay is not with Nokia or Microsoft.

Also be happy that we do get updates! It was very recently that your purchased a phone and that was your phone forever, with no improvements. These days we now get 2 or 3 updates a year adding new features and fixing issues which I think it great!

I just wish we had some sort of timeline from MS or Nokia. I know carriers screw that up, but a "Hey, we are working on this, this and this for next update which is coming xx/xx/2013". I understand how tech works now days and I know everything has its shortfalls and needs an update. I just hate being in the dark. I like second Tuesday updates from MS. I wish they could have pushed thru the carrier bypass for updates. I think we would be a little more informed if carriers weren't involved.

I used to left Android and iOS to WP8 because the Android Phone I used is no longer supported. I hate iOS because Apple ecosystem (even I have Macbook and iPad), and there is no improvement of the OS itself. So I move to WP8. I saw many countries are getting the update but not mine. The actual thinking inside my head is why the update is not just rolled out to the worldwide like iOS one. In my country, Thailand, is not like in the US that only ATT can sell 920. In this country, Nokia itself is selling the phone, so if there is the update rolling out, Nokia should promt to all the devices asap right. But there is nothing up until now. That why I am
sick and lazy like this.

I love WP8 but just want the related firms to give reasonable support unlike this, American can take sharper picture but Asian? No no? This is the point.

Regardz

inside man 55

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you have an unlocked 920 no one worldwide has gotten it yet. I know you are upset but it will be coming soon. I don't know why unlocked phones were last, usually the opposite.

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

Fitu Pham has a fair point about the unlocked phones. If the update has been knocking around for a couple of months then why are those of us who bought unlocked still waiting? Personally I'm not too bothered but the point is a fair one.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

How can you be too lazy to wait for something? That is what being lazy is all about.

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

If you have an unlocked 920 no one worldwide has gotten it yet. I know you are upset but it will be coming soon. I don't know why unlocked phones were last, usually the opposite.

Just got me thinking. Could it be because if unlocked worldwide L920's always get update first, it might sway some consumers away from carriers? Might be possible right?

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

Just got me thinking. Could it be because if unlocked worldwide L920's always get update first, it might sway some consumers away from carriers? Might be possible right?

I was just thinking that maybe AT&T and a few other carriers may have paid up front to get the updates sooner. Seems a bit odd, but they may be realizing how much people like to tout that they get updates first. Would be a good business move by carriers to do that.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of what any of us think of updates WP8 is somewhat buggy. For a platform with such a small market share it seems like Microsoft would want to push an update out as soon as possible. Reading through these forums there are quite a few issues with WP8. I know not everyone has these problems but I have some of them and it is very frustrating. I'm probably not the only one regretting their choice of phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope you are not one of those cats that a phone defines who you are. Kind of shallow to say the least. Having said that, I say go where you want to be Fitu. These smart phones are tools and if the tool you have doesn't fit the task, get the one that does. Will you be missed? Probably.not. Will anyone notice? Maybe. But if the reason you want to go is valid and I think it is, the door swings both ways.

Kaiser Bhulsuk

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
you mentioned that you are in Thailand correct? I am from Thailand also and here if you wish to update the OS you can bring your phone to NOKIA CARE which will take less than 2 hours to update to Portico, why don't you just do that furthermore they also confirmed that if there is another update comes and it is newer you still can do OTA update. As for me I think it is very normal to give them sometimes since the whole system is brand new few month is no harm and I respect the fact that they cannot make everyone happy but as long as they are trying their best. I will give them a chance

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It takes time to get the updates approved and be made available, so you have to be patient. So far only a few countries gotten the update, including US. Majority of 920s are still awaiting update. Also, if you go back to Android, good luck getting even the smallest update. It took me a year to get an update for my Xoom. Android phones are rarely updated because they are being stamped out like toilet paper. Average Android device gets about 6 months of support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos