Noob considering Nokia 920....concerns, questions.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!! I am looking forward to really diving into it! I have only heard great things about the camera! Suprised there is no burst mode however, but 5 pics and then it chooses the best works for me! My real only concern was the keyboard, but it doesn't sound like a problem. I am not a heavy app/game user, I am old school just give me words with friends ha! If anything else throw my music on there (wonder if it will work ok with 2010 ford focus with MS Sync!)
I think the only apps I am going to miss that I see are not yet in the store are an actual youtube app but I saw the one third party app mentioned and read good things about it, and fb which is fb I really don't care not even close to a deal breaker same for twitter, as long as there are a few news apps, I will be happy.
With my Note 2, which I do like but, change is needed! I enjoyed google now, and swiftkey otherwise, there were too many pointless features! I am debating on a screen protector, I will for sure grab a bumper case or something that protects the camera, but overall the quality of Nokia phones has always been solid! Anyways you guys will see me on here lurking, and looking for tips and what not, thanks again for the warm welcome and help on answering my questions!!

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
With Windows Phone 8, and its "lack of apps" compared to iOs/Android, I got a more relaxed environment to work with, enjoy and have fun in without the "need" to have an app for every need and every siutation.

FB/Twitter, as mentioned, is extremely well integrated into the OS. YouTube is absent, but not missed, the MetroTube app is incredibly good if you ask me, and well worth your 0,99? (or even less)

Apps and games has never been a deal breaker for me with Windows Phone 8. I got what I need from it, and nothing less.

Again, welcome, and enjoy the stay!

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
has anyone heard anything about an ultraviolet app?

I thought before on WinPho7 I could watch stuff through the Flixster app. that is where i have gotten most (all but one) of my UltraViolet movies. That is not the case with my new L920. I would not hold your breath.

UV / Vudu is all sorts of confusing right now, even on the desktop. They need to put their time and energy into getting a system that truly works before branching out to a mobile OS with >5% marketshare.

Korfuntu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Marky_yo,

One of my big reasons for leaving Android and moving to Windows Phone was the increasing problem with malware on Android. There are an increasing number of reports coming out that Android apps are becoming a cesspool of malware. While it is possible to write a "secure" app (whatever that is!), the adware API's used to monetize the "free" apps are a Swiss cheese mess of vulnerabilities that I did not want to endure any further.
Given Microsoft's presence in corporate America's IT shops, I feel better knowing that Microsoft has demonstrated a commitment to security that neither Apple or Google have shown. I know that no software is perfect, but I trust Microsoft to make it right more quickly than "the other guys" do with their software.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Agree, with Android you have to be very careful downloading third party apps!!! Next thing you know you have commercials popping up all over your phone and other advertisements.
As for ultra violet/vudu, the flixster app on android is nice! At work I sometime listen to movies when bored, but again not a huge deal, the quality isn't the best yet and both u.v. and vudu need to get their act together! I just didn't know if there was a random app that played your movies from them cause of the nice screen!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, what on Earth is going on there? My daughter was given an Android phone at the end of my girlfriend's contract. As you can imagine, despite me telling her to watch what she installs, she downloads all sorts. She has some crazy stuff popping up. Some real unsuitable stuff. And the phone now runs really slowly.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Forgot, sorry how is Nokias GPS??? I do a lot of driving!

Nokia Drive is excellent in my experience. It's fast and it's never gotten me lost. It's also usually fast enough to keep me from missing a turn.

Loading music is pretty easy, you can just drag and drop. There is also an excellent Nokia Music app which offers free streaming similar to Pandora or Spotify, but it also lets you download playlists for use off line. Nokia is going to introduce a paid version soon which will offer even more features.

You cannot change the keyboard on the phone, but I find it to be quite good. It's probably the best I've had on any phone. Occasionally I kind of miss Swype, but truthfully the keyboard is so accurate that I rarely do.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
GPS is great, but some times (happened to me 4 to 5 times so far in last 2 months) Nokia Drive + Beta doesn't start, it says resuming & does nothing, may be a bug. you can download the maps (by Country/State), this saves lot of data & good feature to have if you are driving on the interior roads where there is no signal. Nokia have the largest coverage compared to Android/Apple when it comes to maps.
syncing music with iTunes: i don't think this is 2 way sync, but you can transfer the music you want from a Mac to WP8.
Like the phone so far, had to exchange the first one due to random shut downs.
great photos in low light, OK photos in day light, great videos.
keyboard: nice suggestion of words as you type, huge selection of languages, i like the fact that you can even select language for Voice commands, not just languages but accents too (English India) this is the best feature for me since none of my previous phones could understand my accent, now i changed it to English (India) its awesome.
Rooms are great feature if your friends/family have WP8.
One Note is great.
can have multiple e-mail accounts & merge them together and pin them to live screen.
great battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2