Corning gorilla does sustain scratches

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I purchased a Lumia 920 two weeks ago...
Accidentally dropped it from the sofa and the glass has suffered a single thin scratch (very faint)...
Issues I have are:
1. The glass in Lumia 800 never sustained such scratches despite falls
2. Is there a way of getting rid of this scratch.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is advertised as scratch resistant, not scratch proof so unfortunately it can sustain scratches. The scratch on your 920 might just be a cosmetic surface scratch of the protective layer on the screen. Some people recommend gently rubbing a little bit of toothpaste with a soft cloth to get rid of surface scratches. You might also want to try putting a top quality screen protector on which might hide the scratch that's already there

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine got 3 fine scratches so far after 2 months. In contrast my N8 still scratch free after 3 years.
2nd gen corning is kinda going backward if you ask me.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
be happy you got very think scratches, I am having very large visible scratches and I don't know from where I got them.. :)

chetan_merchant

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Also because of the weight distribution the phone always falls face down onto the screen...
Just a personal observation, may be wrong...
How do we get rid of these scratches if the above method fails..

americasteam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I picked mine up from the top of my laptop the other day. It flipped over on the screen and I now have a good scratch on it. Can't feel it or see it when the screen is on, but did irritate me to no end. I've gotten used to it by now so its not a big deal. I'm one that doesn't even put my devices in my pocket, clean them numerous times a day, and always place them on something soft when sitting them down. Laptop was perfectly clean and the phone didn't fall. Just flipped over. I change phones every few months so I've had my share of GG1 and GG2 screens. GG2 is supposed to be as scratch resistant as GG1, but in real world use it just isn't. Just my take. ;)

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Hate scratches but some see them as a sign of distinction. I've got a hairline scratch on my 920 that lines up perfectly with the right edge of the Start Screen tiles. Barely noticeable but drives me nuts, especially when I photograph my phones....

In the photos, if the scratch stands out I can always clone it out. In real life, it's just something I have to live with. Haven't heard of any fixes yet. Shame there's not something out there similar to what we use on car windshields to fill in minor cracks/scratches.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sand or dirt can still scratch gorilla glass because of the small bits of quartz which is unfortunately a hard enough mineral to scratch any glass, even scratch resistant. So watch out for ANY grit in your pockets or any other thing you might carry your phone in. If you went to the beach months ago and just have a bit of sand in the bottom of some bag you toss your phone into it can lead to some scratching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel